01-27-2013, 03:07 PM
User Info
Well, I am hoping to get some advice on re knotting an old Strong Set Brush.

I was really wanting to try a synthetic this year and was leaning towards re knotting this thing with a TGN synthetic. My dilemma is that the throat of the brush at the opening is 21mm. That means the 20mm synthetic knot would be the largest choice I can go for without opening up the throat. Unfortunately this brush while feeling solid appears to be a Bakelite outer shell about 3mm thick filled with a plaster like substance. so the opening gets larger as you enter into the brush. So if I open up the opening the brush gets shorter.

So my question is for recommendations for the knot.
Do I go for the 20mm synthetic?
Or go for a 20mm super silvertip?
Or go for the 20mm finest with extra hair?
Or just open it up larger and make it shorter with a larger knot?

OH the depth currently is 16mm from the opening to where the bottom of the knot would rest but this can easily be adjusted.
Any advice appreciated Blush

6 1,224
 01-27-2013, 04:03 PM
User Info
I don't have the advice you need, but i like that handle and will be a nice looking brush when finished

31 1,800
 01-27-2013, 04:29 PM
User Info
I'm confused as to the issue with opening the breech. You haven't stated it will structurally damage the handle, so I don't see why you wouldn't do it if that's what you really want.

That said, if you do it unevenly, it comes out bad. Sad

You can always stick pennies down the shaft.

9 2,988
 01-27-2013, 04:54 PM
User Info
(01-27-2013, 04:03 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: I don't have the advice you need, but i like that handle and will be a nice looking brush when finished
Thanks! I like this one too. It's the only Strong Set I have that isn't a wood handle, And I tend to like the shorter handles.

(01-27-2013, 04:29 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I'm confused as to the issue with opening the breech. You haven't stated it will structurally damage the handle, so I don't see why you wouldn't do it if that's what you really want.

That said, if you do it unevenly, it comes out bad. Sad

You can always stick pennies down the shaft.

It should not structurally damage the handle. But the top 16mm is the same contour on the inside as on the outside(wider at the base of the opening than at the actual opening itself). About a 45degree slope at the top, so however much I open it reduces the height the same amount or nearly so.

I've read that the synthetic knot needs to be larger diameter than a badger knot for the same feel, but I have no experience.
Maybe I should just buy another Semogue 620 and rob the knot but it looks like a bugger to get out without damage. It would fit really well though !
Thanks for the response!

6 1,224
 01-27-2013, 04:56 PM
User Info
Oh! I see what you're saying.

I wouldn't widen the hole. If you have a caliper, measure the hole and then send Tony the measurements and tell him you need it to measure less than that at 16 mm up from the base of the plug.

Or you can send it to Tony and tell him to find one that fits.

9 2,988
 01-27-2013, 05:09 PM
User Info
AH! Now that makes sense!
Thanks for the tip!!!

6 1,224
 02-02-2013, 05:42 PM
User Info
Well here it is PreBloom with a TGN Finest 2 band extra hair fan knot.

I'll know tomorrow if it was worth the effort.

6 1,224
 02-03-2013, 02:56 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-02-2013, 05:42 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: Well here it is PreBloom with a TGN Finest 2 band extra hair fan knot..

Hi Eric

What size knot did you end up ordering?

What final loft height did you end up with?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-03-2013, 06:41 PM
User Info
(02-03-2013, 02:56 PM)mikeperry Wrote:
(02-02-2013, 05:42 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: Well here it is PreBloom with a TGN Finest 2 band extra hair fan knot..

Hi Eric

What size knot did you end up ordering?

What final loft height did you end up with?

Take care, Mike
Hey Mike,
I ended up with the 20mm finest 2band with extra hair and it snuggly fit into the 21mm opening just perfectly. I set it at a final loft of 47mm and am very happy with the result.
I was a little skeptical when the knot first arrived as the tips felt like barb wire. But when I lathered up the Klar Kabinett today they softened up very nicely indeed. This thing has some boar like stiffness but with nice soft tips. I was impressed (this is my first two band badger knot) It is nothing like a silvertip brush that I am accustomed to.

Anyway here she is after a lather with the Klar (I can honestly recommend the knot!)

6 1,224
 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-03-2013, 06:41 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: I ended up with the 20mm finest 2band with extra hair and it snuggly fit into the 21mm opening just perfectly. I set it at a final loft of 47mm and am very happy with the result.
I was a little skeptical when the knot first arrived as the tips felt like barb wire. But when I lathered up the Klar Kabinett today they softened up very nicely indeed. This thing has some boar like stiffness but with nice soft tips. I was impressed (this is my first two band badger knot) It is nothing like a silvertip brush that I am accustomed to...

H Eric

Thank you Smile

To my eyes the loft height looked tall (too tall), hence asking, but 47mm on a 20mm The Golden Nib 2-Band Finest should be about perfect (IMHO).

Personally I've found The Golden Nib 2-Band Finest knots have a "break-in" period, they're not bad from the get go (in fact they're more than good), but with each use they get better and better, then after six or more uses they really start performing to their full potential. For the money I believe they offer the best value to performance ratio of any of the badger hair knots sold by The Golden Nib (at this time).

Enjoy the brush, you did nice work on the restoration Thumbsup

Also, if you have the time I'd love to hear if you find the knot goes through a "break-in" period.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-05-2013, 07:27 PM
User Info
(02-04-2013, 09:39 AM)mikeperry Wrote: H Eric

Thank you Smile

To my eyes the loft height looked tall (too tall), hence asking, but 47mm on a 20mm The Golden Nib 2-Band Finest should be about perfect (IMHO).

Personally I've found The Golden Nib 2-Band Finest knots have a "break-in" period, they're not bad from the get go (in fact they're more than good), but with each use they get better and better, then after six or more uses they really start performing to their full potential. For the money I believe they offer the best value to performance ratio of any of the badger hair knots sold by The Golden Nib (at this time).

Enjoy the brush, you did nice work on the restoration Thumbsup

Also, if you have the time I'd love to hear if you find the knot goes through a "break-in" period.

Take care, Mike

You are absolutely correct about the knot breaking in. I'm on the third shave and fourth lathering with this tonight and indeed the tips keep softening. It's almost like the tips were sprayed with hairspray and each use removes a little bit. (I don't use it on my hair but have used it to stiffen the tissue on rubber powered balsa planes)
I am glad I got the fan shape knot. It holds a great deal of lather for such a small knot.
The tips no longer dry nearly so prickly either. Hope this helps!

6 1,224
 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM
User Info
The TGN Finest Fan is a wonderful knot!

Enjoy!

32 6,309
 02-06-2013, 08:53 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-05-2013, 07:27 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: You are absolutely correct about the knot breaking in. I'm on the third shave and fourth lathering with this tonight and indeed the tips keep softening. It's almost like the tips were sprayed with hairspray and each use removes a little bit. (I don't use it on my hair but have used it to stiffen the tissue on rubber powered balsa planes)
I am glad I got the fan shape knot. It holds a great deal of lather for such a small knot.
The tips no longer dry nearly so prickly either. Hope this helps!

Hi Eric

Thank you for the feedback, your comments pretty much align with my findings on The Golden Nib 2-Band Finest.

It's always nice to get confirmation (or not), as it shows me if my thoughts are in the right ballpark or not...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872