01-28-2013, 03:02 PM
User Info
I have been wet shaving now for almost 11 months. Since pairing down my collection, and now being very happy with what I have, I've been trying to figure out a more strategic way of setting up my rotation.

Up until now, I have been mixing everything up completely. This is fun, but what I don't like about this is all of the variables, as well as not really getting to "know" my gear.

Some ideas I have are:

- Using 1 razor per week
- Matching that razor with a cream or soap, or setting up mini rotations of creams?
- Setting up a small rotation of brushes (3?)
- Moving on to the next one if I don't really like anything - and then put on the BST)
- Possibly keep the things I'm not using in a different area?

I'd be interested to hear any other ideas / experience?

Thanks!

191 1,552
 01-28-2013, 03:11 PM
User Info
(01-28-2013, 03:02 PM)waveflow Wrote: I have been wet shaving now for almost 11 months. Since pairing down my collection, and now being very happy with what I have, I've been trying to figure out a more strategic way of setting up my rotation.

Up until now, I have been mixing everything up completely. This is fun, but what I don't like about this is all of the variables, as well as not really getting to "know" my gear.

Some ideas I have are:

- Using 1 razor per week
- Matching that razor with a cream or soap, or setting up mini rotations of creams?
- Setting up a small rotation of brushes (3?)
- Moving on to the next one if I don't really like anything - and then put on the BST)
- Possibly keep the things I'm not using in a different area?

I'd be interested to hear any other ideas / experience?

Thanks!

For me, a huge amount of the enjoyment is going to my nook and deciding what to use that day. That being said, my Joris razors get used most of the time so I can understand the idea of one razor per week. MdC is also my "go to" soap, but the idea of having it all laid out in stone in front of me ..... meh.

129 6,685
 01-28-2013, 04:38 PM
User Info
I'm with just playing it by ear. To me there are too many variables; like weather, time, length of beard... . I'll decide when it's time. And even that's variable. Dodgy

2 546
 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM
User Info
I'm in about the same position. 13 months into it, 60 different soaps & creams, 16 different razors, and 46 different kinds of blades. I spent the last half of 2012 just trying to get around to using all of my software for at least 3 shaves each.

My other main focus of 2012 was trying different blades out, but when I kept buying more and more vintage razors, the permutations available was crazy. I did manage to get through 26 different blades (8 of which I no longer have), but I got burnt out on that so I quit that focus for the time being.

For 2013 I've decided to limit the number of soaps & creams I use, and to quit experimenting with blades. Of course, I could change that at any time on a whim, but for now, that's what I'm doing.

For the software, I've pulled out 11 creams and soaps for regular use, and a handful for occasional use, such as samples or products that I'm not sure I'll keep. The rest I've boxed up and put up in a closet. At the end of the year, I'll change them around so I have 10 or 11 different products to focus on. When I pick a product to use, I'm planning on going 5 to 10 shaves in a row to get to learn them better. I'm contemplating trying to use one up exclusively until it's gone.

I'd guess another focus I'll have is on razors. I want to start using the ones I have often enough that i can start getting rid of the ones that just don't perform well. Of the 46 different blades, 5 types make up over 1500 blades, so any razor I keep has to perform well with one of those blades. Anything that doesn't make it will be sold or saved for my sons.

You have several good ideas. Pick the 2 or 3 that appeal to you most and focus on those. If later you want your variety back, you can always do that.

0 836
 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM
User Info
I've seen some guys go as far as putting together a spreadsheet that details out their rotation schedule. As for me I let the force guide me when I enter my den to shave.

5 938
 01-28-2013, 05:45 PM
User Info
Thanks for the ideas.

I do like variety and don't think I'll lock into anything firmly. I guess one thing I'm not liking is wanting to to try so many of my new things. To solve this I think I will try the 1 week idea with my new things / ones that I haven't spent much time with.

Part of the other problem is that I want to use my DE, SE and straight razors. For this, I think that straights will be used 1X/ week and SE mixed w DE.

Length of beard could be an issue. Weather won't really be (it doesn't change much in the Bay Area).

Soaps and creams: I'll probably group them into regions (England, Italy, etc)

Razor blades: I'm going to get rid of a lot that I have and don't ever want to use.

Brushes: I just boxed up a few and will rotate the rest.

Bowl or face lather will be shave time decision

191 1,552
 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Razor and blade selection lasts until the blade is spent, unless I am testing something, then anything goes. Brushes also go for a few days. I added a few new ones on 2012 and I am still learning their ways, so a few back to back days make it easier. Balms, creams and splashes sort of match up to software and that's totally on the whim of the day, though which brush is in rotation can have a bearing on what software I choose.

Up until recently, I logged everything.. I made an iPhone app to do it, but it got to be too much, so I bailed on and try to be more spontaneous.

33 914
 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM
User Info
The only way I know to manage rotations is to quit looking at BST, reviews, SOTD, score threads, etc Tongue Biggrin

My rotation is pretty spontaneous except I use a razor until I am done with the blade, then switch both.

31 1,800
 01-28-2013, 07:03 PM
User Info
i am of no help, here, although i only use two soaps, and only rotate them when i finish one whole puck, then the other gets its turn. Blade is principally SIs and razors are Weber DLC, Progress and The Cobra. Can't help you with brushes, too many nice ones around. i only use unrefined shea butter and that is it.Biggrin
Good luck!

75 20,883
 01-28-2013, 07:48 PM
User Info
What works for me may not work for others, especially those with far more gear than I have.

As far as brush selection for the day, my brushes are lined up on the shelf and I move from left to right and each gets used in it's turn. Except for the travel brushes; each pass through the brushes I use only one travel brush, not all of them. When a new brush comes in I use it exclusively for a time, especially if I'm breaking in a new boar.

In the past I'd decide on a different razor every day, now I'm choosing one razor for the life of the blade, and the chosen razor sees that blade from cradle to grave (Thanx for the idea Razorx!). That allows me a better handle on the razor. I still have a daily choice of razors, but now it's only (mostly) between DE or SE... OK there is a VC1 that always has a blade in it. So the choice is between 3 razors. Basically, if both the DE and SE razors are aggressive and I want a break from that I use the VC1 for an acceptable shave with no work on my part.

Soaps are easy right now. I'm trying to use up 4 soaps to get some room for (maybe) more soaps. So I use the top soap in the column and after that day it goes to the bottom. On Sundays I choose whichever soap I want from the many. Generally it's one that has seen discussion that I've participated in during the week. When I'm done with those soaps I'll start going through the soaps/creams using each in it's turn, generally, and when I get the urge to use one out of turn I do.

All of the above is subject to change whenever I wish. So far I've been doing if for a few months and I'm not unhappy with it.

32 6,309
 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I enjoy picking out my products every day and the variety I have. I'ts part of the fun for me. So, no rotation here.

45 3,955
 01-28-2013, 08:29 PM
User Info
So Brian, it sounds like you go in with an idea but then there is a little hair somewhere that could change your mind when you get to the mirror.Biggrin

2 546
 01-28-2013, 08:29 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I'm a little over a year into wet shaving and I'm finally starting to settle into somewhat of a routine. I've decided to stick to one razor for the duration of a blade and switch up brushes and soaps as I feel like it. If I ever feel like I can't decide one morning... I roll a dice and let fate decide!

35 1,732
 01-28-2013, 08:39 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I just go with the flow as well. My brush collection is starting to separate into "regular use" and "sulking also-rans" though.

Sometimes I just pick a brush or soap that has been the subject on an interesting forum post. Smile

10 1,858
 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM
User Info
It's possible Bob, but not probable. I do have some leeway, but most times I know the night before what I'll use next day. I'm pretty set on that method at this point in time. Except...

The problem is that SE blades last so long that I'm getting a bit frustrated in not using some favorites for so long a period of time. I have a collection of razors, but it's a user collection and I'd like to use them more frequently. But nothing is carved in stone. At any time I can decide to go back to using many razors for a blade or 2 and then come back to the one razor per blade. I might do that soon.

Yeah, I know I didn't really answer your question. There is no answer. I'm as changeable as the wind as a mood strikes me.

32 6,309
 01-28-2013, 10:08 PM
User Info
Nice thread!

I use a blade and razor for the life of a blade (RazorX method), and I always use Thayer's with unrefined shea butter to finish (Celestino method). Usually use a brush 2-3 times and then change. I keep 3 soaps in active rotation and use whatever I feel like (currently DR Harris, MWF and Palmolive stick). Really only use one type of blade for DE (Personna labs), SE (GEM coated "Ted Pella"), and injector (Personna).

47 1,270
 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM
User Info
My rotation is fairly set. I travel so during the week I put 2 razors and 2 soaps or ceams and 2 brushes in the go bag.
Although in addition to this I always have my FaTip OC and my LaToja stick in the bag as well just in case I need to salvage a shave.

This way I get to use each one paired with the others that week. When I get home for the weekend I usually try out anything new that I have acquired or one of my favorites. I tend to use a blade until I just don't like the feel any more and this can sometimes happen during the shave, so if I try to change anything I might try limit the # of shaves I use a blade.

6 1,224