01-29-2013, 12:47 AM
  • Mr Happy
  • Sandhurst, England
User Info
I bought the Muhle Silvertip Fibre (19 mm) about 3 months ago and have been using it roughly every other day since, however from the day I received it to today, the brush has not looked symmetrical and has a hole in the middle, that's the only way I an describe it. I have attached some pics as they speak a thousand words.

(Doing this from iPhone, so will post another pic in a separate post as the file names are apparently the same)
Anyway, these issues don't appear to affect the performance of the brush, it is an excellent brush, having said that, I don't have another one of these to compare it to, so another one might be even better!
My questions are:
Is this normal?
Should I return it?
If so, should I go directly to Muhle?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Here's the other pic:

0 26
 01-29-2013, 01:32 AM
User Info
Frankly hard to tell from the pictures. It sounds like it works fine for you so I would recommend keeping it.

47 1,270
 01-29-2013, 01:58 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Asymmetrical is normal, a hole in the brush can be a result of "mashing" or pushing the brush too vigorously into your face, was it there from the start? I actually don't have any experience with synthetics, perhaps this is more unique to this fibre?

91 17,795
 01-29-2013, 04:47 AM
  • Mr Happy
  • Sandhurst, England
User Info
The hole was there from the start, but if it can be as a result of pushing too hard on your face, I guess they're not going to believe me.

0 26
 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
My friend , I have the same brush , and I have experienced the same , and it doesn't affect the performance of it , so its all good for me.

86 7,123
 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM
User Info
Knowing the way a knot is made I doubt that it's a manufacturing issue. Asharperrazor posted a picture awhile back that I'll never find showing exactly that sort of hole from brush mashing. For it to be a manufacturing issue one would have to believe that of a few thousand random and largely the same (in randomness) fibers stacked up in the way required to form that hole. It might happen in one out of a few billion or more brushes, maybe you got that one brush. The odds simply don't favor it though. Too, I doubt very much that it would pass, number one, the person making the knot, and number 2, quality control. It would stand out like a sore thumb.

32 6,308
 01-29-2013, 01:51 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I have two 19mm and one 23mm Muhle brushes and don't have a hole in any of them. These are my favorite brushes and I use them when I face lather. Even if a hole appeared, I can't see it affecting performance. Use and enjoy it! Smile

16 542
 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM
User Info
Looks like the fibers took a "set" but you didn't lose any. If it ain't broken... may not be worth complaining about.

Sorry, don't really have better advice than that.

9 2,988
 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM
  • Mr Happy
  • Sandhurst, England
User Info
Thank you all for the sound advice and your experiences, it's made me feel a lot better about it and as a number of you have said, if it's doing a good job, then don't worry! Well I haven't lost one hair from it since I've had it, so they've not broken or anything, so I won't worry (now). Interesting to hear that Teiste has the same issue though.

0 26
 01-29-2013, 06:11 PM
User Info
As I also have a couple of these brushes along with other synthetics. One thing you can do, when you have finished rinsing the brush and giving it a few shakes to get most of the water out, is to take your hand and gently close your hand around the knot to bring the fibers back to a "closed" state before letting it dry.

In addition, very hot water can affect synthetics (not as bad as naturals) so be sure that you are under 130 deg F with your water when rinsing. Remember, if it is too hot for your skin it is too hot for your brush.

Good fortune to you.

1 2,827
 01-29-2013, 07:16 PM
User Info
(01-29-2013, 06:11 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: As I also have a couple of these brushes along with other synthetics. One thing you can do, when you have finished rinsing the brush and giving it a few shakes to get most of the water out, is to take your hand and gently close your hand around the knot to bring the fibers back to a "closed" state before letting it dry.

In addition, very hot water can affect synthetics (not as bad as naturals) so be sure that you are under 130 deg F with your water when rinsing. Remember, if it is too hot for your skin it is too hot for your brush.

Good fortune to you.

+1...good advice. My experience with synthetics is that when wet, the hairs like to
clump creating a crater in the middle and left untouched will dry that way. As Gary mentioned, a little brush grooming will keep it looking new.

5 938
 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM
  • Mr Happy
  • Sandhurst, England
User Info
Wow, I now know I had no idea about to treat brushes!! Thank you Gdcarrington and BladeDE40 for this advice. I'll have to do a quick Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion, but thanks again. This forum is so useful and helpful!

0 26
 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM
User Info
Gary, would it help to get it back into shape to put a rubber band around the knot from the handle end, and then let it dry?

32 6,308
 01-30-2013, 05:41 PM
User Info
(01-30-2013, 01:42 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Gary, would it help to get it back into shape to put a rubber band around the knot from the handle end, and then let it dry?

Well, it might work if it was a small rubber band about 1/3 away from the tip end. The issue is the warping that can occur sometimes with synthetics. If it has been badly warped due to heat or laying down in a prone position, it needs to be coaxed back gently into the center. After rinsing, if the flair "crazy" then it needs to dry with the fibers pulled back to the center.

I have only had one synthetic go off on me like this and that was because I had to deal with something in the house at the end of shaving and I had to stop and deal with it and left my brush in the bowl for about 30 minutes. I had to coax the hairs back to the center after rinsing. It can happen to all brushes, this one just happened to be an older TGN synthetic. Once I let it dry with the gentle centering, it was as good as new.

1 2,827
 01-31-2013, 01:42 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I also have a couple of Muhle Black Fiber brushes. They are very soft and I use them when I bowl lather (especially with creams). One of them has 5 strands on the outside of the knot that were bent when I got it. I have tried to coax them back to straight, but so far no luck. The performance of the brush is unaffected, but I admit it is a minor annoyance. I don't think they will ever straighten up, but the upside to that resilience is that I have never damaged a synthetic brush no matter how much force I use to build lather. I built a brush with the TGN 22mm synthetic and I can highly recommend that knot also.

16 542
 02-04-2013, 10:18 PM
  • Mr Happy
  • Sandhurst, England
User Info
I've put a band around the brush (top third) for the past few dad and it does appear to be getter better, but is still evident, so I'm guessing that it's either going to take a while, or is as good as it's going to get now. I'll persist with the band and see what happens. Thank you for the tip!
I think I may know what caused this..... From the start I used a stand that came with my old Men U brush but with the Muhle brush it didn't sit vertically, instead it was almost at a 45 degree angle. I'm therefore thinking that gravity has pulled some of the hairs out of shape, making the hole.
Does this sound like the likely cause?

0 26
 02-04-2013, 10:20 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I have the same brush in Ebony and yes, mine has a hole in the center. It happens with any synthetic brush if you use it enough. It doesn't really affect the performance for me at all, so I don't care.

68 1,416
 02-04-2013, 11:08 PM
User Info
It's probably caused by the circular strokes used to make lather.

9 2,988