01-29-2013, 11:36 AM
User Info
I thought I had to make such a thread.

My Chubby 2 Best in limited edition swirled faux ivory was used for today's shave along with my Ikon Open Comb, a Feather blade and a mix of Xpec Unscented shaving cream and Proraso Blue shaving cream.

I have only used the Chubby 2 Best 2 times before, so it was its third time.
Honestly I forgot how well it performed, and I considered selling it if it did not perform well for today's shave - yes, I'm quite fickle and often lose patience...... Tongue

Unless I was WoW'ed by the Chubby 2 Best, I would have put it on BST for €150 shipped this evening. I prefer Simpson Manchurian and Simpson 2-Band over Best Hair, so really was ready to sell it.

What happened - well, I had one of these Simpson Brush moments, that you rarely get with other brushes, maybe the best Rooney, Morris & Forndran, a select Shavemacs and Thäters - but I will still call it a Simpson Brush moment.
My Chubby 2 Best simply performed excellent.

I feel precisely ZERO/ZIP/NADA/RIEN/NICHTS/NONE/INGEN scricth or scratch from this Best Hair brush. It doesn't even splay that much. It looks to have a big bloom, but once wet and filled with shaving cream (no pun intended) it just performs amazingly well.

I SIMPLY CAN NOT IN ANY WAY SELL THIS BRUSH, unless I'm forced to do so.

Okay, it lost 3 hairs from today's shave, and it may have lost maybe 7-8 hairs total now. No big deal.

But I just felt that Simpson Brush moment, while I used the brush for today's shave.
I don't get this feel with Thäters, Shavemacs, Rooneys - maybe only with my M&F's, yet not quite the same sensation. I may have been lucky, because Mark may or may not have hand picked me some of his best Simpson brushes, but they just simply perform so darn great each time I use them.
No matter what shaving cream I use, they just perform so well and great.
I simply had to do a thread about it Cool

Sorry, but I just feel Simpson brushes are that little bit better and above the rest in delivering quality in a wide range of their models. Now, I have only tried 5 Simpson models and 3 hair types, so can only speak of these - Chubby 2, Duke 2, Duke 3, Snaefell & Polo.

I have yet to try a Super 3-Band, but I will order a Chubby 2 in 3-Band Super in pointy BULB (to minimize the splay and bloom of the knot) once I also can order the Simpson Langness Manchurian.

Any other Simpson fans out there ?

21 4,775
 01-29-2013, 11:44 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
I am strictly Simpson user. I have already planned with Mark brushes to buy for another few months.

At the minute he suppose to finish my Ehsan this week(by the end) cannot waitSmile

Mark is great lad to speak. Last week I was on phone with him regarding my Ehsan as he really care for the brush he is selling to me and he wanted it to be perfect!
At the minute I am using Duke 2 Best. Lovely brush performs great.

Bring it on EHsan and then 57 two band, wee scot, jubilee, chubby and others Rolleyes

11 861
 01-29-2013, 12:06 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I had always wondered if Simpson was worth the premium, particularly when their Best Badger brushes sold for as much or more than others' silvertips.

I got a Commodore X2 in best this Christmas, and it answered my question. It's a really great brush, very comfortable on the face but with a pleasant scrubbiness. Good flow. The handle is comfortable and looks immaculate.

I'd say I'm a Simpson's convert.

[Image: 0zcQPl.jpg]

10 1,858
 01-29-2013, 12:30 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The Duke 3 in best badger is on my top 3 of my favorite brushes.I also have good feelings about an Eagle 3 in best badger coming my way.And a Commodore x1 in best that I sold , was simply another superb brush for facelathering.

I will be always thankful to Mr Alexander Simpson for creating such a wonderful shaving brush brand , to Mr David Carter for trying to keep it alive , and to Vulfix/Progress for finally "rescuing" it and make it recover all its past glory.

86 7,123
 01-29-2013, 12:39 PM
  • Amzimbo
  • Smooth as a fresh shaven diplomat
  • New Jersey and Mozambique
User Info
I really like Simpsons, their heritage and tradition and the way they've set the standard against which other brushes have been measured for many decades. I bought my first one from GFT back in the '80's, an uber-dense Case that has long since turned dark butterscotch. My latest is a Jubilee and I've picked up about 20 more in between and appreciate them all. That said, would a Simpson be my desert island brush? Hmmm...the Rover and my Emperor 3 would be in the running, but fundamentally, I think a Thater would beat them out. On performance grounds, not style. I like the softer tips. Luckily, however,I rarely go on cruises, so I'm not likely to face this dilemma and I can keep enjoying them all, including my wonderful Simpsons.

5 83
 01-29-2013, 02:06 PM
User Info
I agree Claus. Although I have a soft spot for Kent and am starting to love my Thater a Simpson brush is iconic.

If I had to have only one brush it would be a Simpson in Best. They are the quintessential shaving brush and the embodiment of traditional wetshaving. The sticker, giving brush names rather than model numbers, handle shapes, blacking the letters are all things that make a Simpson instantly recognizable. It is the whole package. Every brush I look at I mentally do a comparison with Simpson. Very few meet the measure. It is that ingrained in my psyche.

2 694
 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
User Info
I have a number of Simpson Best brushes and none of them have any scritch. If I want that I need to go to a pure brush and even then it's not terrible, just not as nice as the Best grade.

Yes, Simpsons make a very nice brush even in lowly Best.

32 6,301
 01-29-2013, 03:21 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I like all of the Simpsons brushes I have.

They're up there with the best of my other brushes (M&F, Rooney, Kent, EJ, WSP and Semogue).

I don't think that it is coincidence that I own more Simpsons brushes than I do those of any other maker.

32 638
 01-29-2013, 03:36 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I've had 8 Simpsons (all Best) and liked them all. I'm now down to 2. Sad I regret letting some of those go, so I try to take more time deciding what to sell these days. The Simpson Rover in Best is still my favorite hard soap brush and the Duke 1 (which I almost sold last year) has become my favorite "mug" soap brush. Unfortunately most Simpsons I'd be interested in now are out of my price range, so my next brush will be a Rooney funded by a Thater sale.

0 204
 01-29-2013, 05:02 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
We NEED pics of that brush Claus... Biggrin

91 17,611
 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I love all my Somerset Simpsons and the few Isle of Man ones I own. Nothing beats a Chubby 2 in Manchurian! I would though have to agree with Amzimbo a desert island brush may be one of the newer two band Thaters. A cloud of softness and some of the best lather out there.

42 1,041
 01-29-2013, 05:24 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've only had one Simpson brush a Duke 3 in Best Badger. It was my first brush and it's one of my all time favorites.

45 3,955
 01-30-2013, 03:14 AM
  • marcel
  • The Netherlands
User Info
I love my Simpson Tulip 2 in 2 band, very soft tips and plenty backbone for facelathering.
I'm alos very fond of my Simpson Douglas, a Simpson '57 with 2 band hair. It's not as soft as the tulip 2, but a very nice brush nonetheless.
I also have a Wee Scot, but that brush is coming to a BST near you sometimes. I already sold my Chubby 1 in best. I can't get on with the small handles of these brushes.

0 117
 01-30-2013, 06:30 AM
User Info
I own five Simpsons and no more than two of any other brand. In head-to-head comparisons with similar brushes from other manufacturers, the Simpsons always come out on top and most of the others land on B/S/T.

The other important factor that separates Simpson from their competitors is that they offer so many different configurations (handle styles & sizes, knot sizes, hair types) that it's easy for each individual to find the exact combination of features and specs that works best for him.

66 692
 01-30-2013, 06:35 AM
User Info
Just to add some balance.

My Wee Scott looses 3-5 hairs every lather.
So far it's lost around 30.

I'll get round to discussing it with Mark. In the mean time I ordered a 2 band chubby 3 that should be here in a week'ish.

0 193
 01-30-2013, 12:24 PM
User Info
Somerset CH2 Best & PJ4 in Rooney Finest plus a case for travel round out my Simpson collection.

Really love the vintage feel and look of the Somerset era brushes. The case is a little powerhouse of a brush.

9 2,987
 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM
  • texquill
  • Olver Warbucks
  • Richardson - DFW area of Texas
User Info
I have a significant infection with SSBAD (the first S is "Simpson's").

Although I much prefer Best and Manchurian bristles (because I'm a face latherer), two band Super and Pure are close seconds.

I have a large assortment of Simpson brushes, ranging in age from 50+ years to brand new, and, with the exception of the Wee Scot (which is much too tiny for my taste), I enjoy using every one of them.

Probably my favorites are the Rover in Manchurian and the M 7 in silvertip.

30 237
 01-31-2013, 06:37 AM
User Info
I have a few Simpson brushes... Blush
Most of them 2 bands... but not all... Here they are...

28 1,517
 01-31-2013, 08:48 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
German , how is that Duke 3 in silvertip badger ? Im very tempted to get one to be a perfect companion of the Duke 3 in best badger I own.

86 7,123
 01-31-2013, 08:57 AM
User Info
That 2-band Eagle has a beautiful symmetry. Stunning

2 694