01-29-2013, 11:37 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Gentlemen,

I own a paddle strop of which one side is made out of felt. I use a .25 diamond spray on there.
I works as a charm and as I have read good reports on using an untreated piece of felt as a secondary strop I wanted to try one. Well, the occasion just came to me!

Disclaimer; I'm not the most skilled or handiest person in the world. I sometimes refer to myself as having two left hands (that should say enough Rolleyes). I am very sure this job could be done a lot better in both efficiency and cosmetically. However, I'm very happy with the result!

About two weeks ago or so my girlfriend went shopping (same old story) and came home with some stuff. She got this free bag in a clothing store but did not have any use for it. Upon closer inspection I noticed that this stuff was 100% felt. I went for my paddle strop and compared the too. I found out they were the same. So I kindly asked my girlfriend if I could have the bag. For some reason it was like she knew...: 'Sure, use it for your shaving'.

[Image: qvk7.jpg]

I cut the bag in pieces with scissors. What remained were 2 large and 1 small sheet of felt.

[Image: 30moevk.jpg]

I measured out the stropping lenght I needed. My daily strop (a Rich Man strop from Larry at Whippeddog) has a 20x3 inch stropping surface. I was planning on placing the Felt strop in between the Bridle leather and Poly Webbing.

[Image: 31625o8.jpg]

So now it was time to put it all together. The Rich Man strop has Chicago screws, so it was pretty easy to dismantle the strop. After that I measured out where the three holes for the screws needed to be.

[Image: 14nmkk5.jpg]

So, we have the holes and we are ready to assemble the strop together. Remember, we want the Felt strop in the middle, so that goes first. After that it's the Poly Webbing. Here's what the assembled strop looks like.

[Image: aw74ae.jpg]

[Image: 54rbn.jpg]

Only thing that would be welcome is something to hold onto. Both the Leather and Poly Webbing have D-rings but I don't have those. I will need to find them somewhere together with a few of Chicago screws. I can use a small piece of felt to connect the D-ring with the felt strop. I am very open for any other suggestions!

So there you have it, gentlemen. Took me about 20 minutes in total. As you can see in the second photo I have a lot of leftover felt. I think I'll use that for a self-made four-sided paddle strop. I have the Thiers-Issard diamond pastes here, but need a strop for them. We'll see how that works out.

Thanks for thanking the time to read and watch this!

5 447
 01-29-2013, 11:50 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Robbin

Looks good for someone with two left hands Tongue Clap

Maybe Daryl will get his needle and thread out and tidy up the D-ring end for you Wink

Take care, Mike

Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 01-29-2013, 12:08 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
LOL If he was more local I'd gladly make him a copy of those endcaps to make it all match

Chicago screws and D-rings can be found all over ebay and amazon, locally at some hardware stores and at most horse tack stores. I got my d-rings at strapworks.com They give detailed measurements of all their rings, if you want to try to find a good, close match

I've never used felt myself. I see them more often on paddle strops but I always thought it would stretch on a hanging strop, is that not the case?

10 411
 01-29-2013, 12:14 PM
  • DoubleB
User Info
@ Mike, thank you, my friend!

@Daryl, I have already been able to source a D-ring locally. I'm sure they have Chicago screws somewhere around here.

I have not noticed any stretch (yet) when stropping.
I'm really curious to see if I get different results from the felt than from the webbing. And if it doesn't work out..well..then I can always load it up with Diamond Cool

5 447
 01-29-2013, 12:23 PM
User Info
Felt is not a popular choice (and usually quickly dismissed) as a substitute for cotton/linen for everyday stropping.

Works great with diamond spray, not so much with crox.

Personally would not use it for daily stropping, but definitely let us know how it goes!

I like your gf's response. Classic.

9 2,988
 01-29-2013, 12:33 PM
  • DoubleB
User Info
(01-29-2013, 12:23 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Felt is not a popular choice (and usually quickly dismissed) as a substitute for cotton/linen for everyday stropping.

Works great with diamond spray, not so much with crox.

Personally would not use it for daily stropping, but definitely let us know how it goes!

I like your gf's response. Classic.

I agree it is not much heard of. Reports I have found were mixed; some didn't like it plain but loved it with diamond, others loved it plain as a pre-leather strop. So I figured if it isn't working I'll load it up!
I will definitely keep you guys in the loop on this one.

5 447
 02-26-2013, 11:36 AM
  • DoubleB
User Info
So, I've had some time to try out the felt strop and I must say; It's not bad, but it's not great either.
Short story; I don't notice any difference between poly webbing and Felt. The outcome seems to be the same.

Long story; Felt gives, to me, way nicer audible feedback than Poly Webbing. Also, the feel when stropping on Felt is nicer. On the other hand, I like the flex in the thinner Poly Webbing more than in the thick Felt strop. After some testing I do not notice any difference in my edges. I did a couple of tests:

Poly Webbing (20) - Felt (20) - Leather (60)
Felt (20) - Poly Webbing (20) - Leather (60)
Felt (40) - Leather (60)
Poly Webbing (40) - Leather (60)

I continue to use both, but I can see myself loading up the felt with diamond spray soon.

5 447