01-29-2013, 08:55 PM
User Info
Good evening, everyone! i hope you are all well and enjoying your shaves, no matter how you perform them.
Here is a nice little article on cold water shaving that i found on the Italian shaving site, Il Rasoio. i hope i am not repeating it if it has been posted, previously. Enjoy and have a great week, everyone.

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/03/24/col...r-shaving/

75 20,883
 01-29-2013, 09:15 PM
User Info
Celestino, thank you for sharing this great read. The Cottager's monthly visitor got it right in that article, the face can tend to feel delicate and tender after a hot water shave. <----The exact reason I switched to cold water shaving exclusively.

Do I miss the luxurious feel of warm lather on my face? Actually, no! I can also tell you that the tenderness, itching, and slightly raw feeling I always associated as being normal, have ceased completely shaving with cold water.

63 2,128
 01-29-2013, 09:55 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
thanks for the article, I've shaved mostly with cold water for 35+years in the military, these days I enjoy a hot shave now and then.

27 1,297
 01-30-2013, 05:46 AM
User Info
I've been tinkering around lately and I use cold water for prep and warm water for lather. Cold water just makes it difficult to make good lather for some reason.

0 372
 01-30-2013, 06:34 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I've done both, and can't say I've noticed a particular difference in the quality of my shave. I'll probably try it again once the weather warms up and see if it's any different now that I have more than 6 months experience under my belt.

On the other hand... "soft beard is harder to shave?" Really?

10 1,858
 01-30-2013, 07:01 AM
User Info
(01-30-2013, 06:34 AM)Songwind Wrote: On the other hand... "soft beard is harder to shave?" Really?

The theory is that if the hair is too soft that it will lay down horizontally as soon as the guard bar or blade make contact. This will lead to a longitudinal cut rather than a clean transverse cut. The longitudinal cut is also theorized to be a possible cause for the tugging & pulling sensation.

Cold water, supposedly/allegedly/theoretically, causes the hair to be hydrated yet remain upright allowing a cleaner transverse cut. Thus giving a smoother & less irritating shave.

All theories of course and those who it works for will agree while those who it doesn't, well, won't. King YMMV strikes again.

31 7,914
 01-30-2013, 08:50 AM
User Info
I gave this a try awhile back, and while this may work for some, it did not work for me...I actually got terrible shaves with this method. To each their own, but I am perfectly happy shaving with warm water.

5 938
 01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
User Info
As always, YMMV. How interesting?!
i am not promoting it, but offering it as a possibility for those who may be suffering from too much irritation.
Enjoy your shaves, gents. Smile

75 20,883
 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I've shaved with cold water almost since the beginning. It aids with the 'wake up" factor as well

116 3,804
 01-30-2013, 11:54 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
It's supposed to be a -26F wind chill tomorrow morning. Maybe I should shave with menthol products and cold water, just to maximize the experience. Smile

10 1,858
 01-30-2013, 12:32 PM
User Info
(01-30-2013, 11:54 AM)Songwind Wrote: It's supposed to be a -26F wind chill tomorrow morning. Maybe I should shave with menthol products and cold water, just to maximize the experience. Smile

Soak your brush in ice water and leave your AS splash in the freezer until ready for use. You should be good to go!

31 7,914
 01-30-2013, 01:05 PM
User Info
I thought CWS was helping me with irritation when I first started but I think it was placebo effect. I am pretty good at getting irritation-free shaves now with warm water so it'll be interesting to try again and see if there's a difference.

0 120
 01-30-2013, 06:20 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I started CWS'S a few months ago.. I haven't gone back to warm water, so... I must be liking it.

33 914
 01-30-2013, 11:08 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
As a boy (in an 'institution' at the age of 6) I had cold showers each morning. Felt perked up afterwards, but hated the breathlessness/shock factor stepping under the cold stream initially. Luckily it was Australia and summer when I was 'introduced' to it...then the winter came but I was ok. Acclimatisation, I suppose. So...cold water shaves? Hmm. Not sure; I will have to try it and see. But a cold lather rinse is very good, ahhhh, and I like the idea of putting the splash in the freezer for a few mins...I'll try that with the Speick tomorrow Smile.

0 1,625
 01-31-2013, 02:40 PM
User Info
I'm a cold water convert as well. It took a few days to get used to the "odd" sensation but once I did, my shaves were way more comfortable and even closer than they used to be.

I might have chalked it up to being all in my head but my wife commented on the lack of skin redness she's noticed recently.

1 93
 01-31-2013, 04:05 PM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
I have recently started shaving using cold water before I shower with remarkable results. I've discovered that when I shave using cold water before I shower I don't get any weepers or razor burn at all. I've also discovered I get a better shave with 1 pass than I used to get with 2 passes after a shower using hot water. I've never shaved on a daily basis but I find a cold water shave to be so comfortable I've started shaving every day.

I'm glad I stayed with shaving with hot water after my morning shower for a couple of years. It gave me time to develop good technique. Now when I change any aspect of my morning shave the results are more apparent since any change I perceive is not due to variation in my technique.

I won't jump in to say cold water shaving is the best way to shave, but I will say cold water shaving prior to my morning shower has surprisingly turned out to be the best way for me to shave. I'm serious when I say I'm getting dfs 1 pass shaves when I shave every day with cold water before I jump into the shower.

I think the lesson here is to wait until you have developed good technique and you are getting consistently good shaves before you start changing things up. Then don't be afraid to try anything and everything so you can find what works best for you. You may be pleasantly surprised, I sure was.

0 136
 02-01-2013, 12:51 AM
User Info
I did a cold one this morningBiggrin

0 606
 02-01-2013, 10:12 PM
User Info
I use cold water most of the time. Not ice cold, but cold. I have the hot water handle turned just enough to make it cool. Then after my shave, I splash cold water on my face. Since it's winter in central IL, the water is ice cold! But my irritation has cut down dramatically.

Now the only thing that irritates me is when I get complacent or scrub too hard on my face with the brush. Tongue

2 396
 02-02-2013, 09:40 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I've never used cold water, but I've long since given up on using hot water after someone suggested too hot water could be my problem with runny lather out of MWF. Now I just use something between room temperature and body temperature. I'm going to have to give straight cold a try and see what happens Biggrin

10 411
 02-03-2013, 07:40 AM
User Info
I cold water shaved in the Army for years and swore I would never do it again if I didn't have to! Well I've been CWSing again for about a year and will stay with it. I don't have any razor burn issues but I get a closer shave in cold water vs. warm water. I admit it isn't everyone's cup o'tea but it works for me. YMMV

0 433