01-31-2013, 09:18 AM
User Info
A disclaimer, well sort of. I have extremely soft water, so maybe when I gauge how a product lathers, well, I might not be the best judge of it. Soft water makes most products lather extremely well for me. Something would have to be really terrible not to lather in my water, but those do exist. Too, I can use quite a bit less product to get the same result as someone with hard water.

First up was the Proraso Sandalwood cream.

The packaging is excellent, with a large enough cap so that it can stand on the cap just fine. I hate creams in tubes when the cap is too small to do it's job. I have no complaints with this packaging at all. Anyone who has a number of tube creams on a shelf will appreciate the space saving nature of tubes that easily stand on end. What does it take to make a proper cap to allow this?

The first thing to hit me was the look, a nice almost opalescent look to it (minus the rainbow colors of quality opal). If you've seen Bigelow you'll recognize it immediately. Then the scent hit me. It's quite strong and definitely sandalwood, if you don't like sandalwood you'll hate this cream, it's that simple. I must be getting more tolerant of scent because I think the scent would have been a deal breaker a year ago because of the strength of it, and I actually like sandalwood. Because it's in a tube there is no such thing as having it mellow over time. After lathering it appears to mute a bit, or was my nose becoming numb to the scent? Either way, it was better after lathering. For me Proraso could reduce the scent by half and I'd probably like it even more. Yes, I know others wouldn't.

As it gets extruded from the tube, I used about 3/8" or about 1cm. Not much, but I have extremely soft water so that amount was plenty. The Simpsons Chubby1 Best badger lathered it easily, and there was plenty of lather for my 2 1/3rd passes with some wasted. I face lather creams by wiping what I have on my finger onto my cheeks and just putting the brush to it. No surprises with that method and this cream.

The performance is very good, great lather, cushion, and glide. If you like Bigelows performance (the only other Proraso product that I have) you'll like the performance of this, and its performance might even be better than Bigelow. The sandalwood scent lingers for quite awhile on the skin, so be ready for that. Face feel after the shave is very good. My skin was soft and didn't feel dry at all, it left it feeling great. I still used my moisturizing AS though.

What AS does one follow the sandalwood with? That was my concern since the scent does linger. I thought my menthol AS would blend with the sandalwood best. It worked fine.

This cream is a winner. Despite my misgivings about the scent initially I like it quite a bit. It's not MdC, but it is a very good performer. Definitely a top drawer product. The next order I place I'll probably order another tube for the coming shavepocalypse.

Next up was the Musgo Real cream. Not being familiar with everything made by Musgo Real there may be other creams. This one has a scalloped green edge near the cap and a mostly white tube. It might be the original scent, but again, I'm ignorant of the line. A picture is worth a thousand words, right?

[Image: DSC03876.jpg]
Yes, I know it looks like they're hanging from something. I flipped the image to make the writing easily read.

I've been using MR for some time now and I need to bring up the memory of my first encounter. I admit I have a problem with strong scents and at one time I considered this to have a strong scent. It was another of those scents that was almost a deal breaker because of the strength. The scent is pleasant, but don't ask me what it is beyond that. The cream is an muted olive drab in color. Today when I used the MR cream I found the scent to be quite nice, even the strength- I must be getting accustomed to strong scents.

Again, I lathered with the Chubby1 Best badger, and I tried to use approximately the same quantity of product. It lathers easily and performs nicely, and it simply gets boring to write that over and over again, but the well known and loved products are simply excellent performers. There were absolutely no surprises with the performance of the product. In shave performance it was as good as I remember the Proraso performance of yesterday.

Face feel after the shave didn't feel as good as the Proraso however. Yesterday my after shave skin feel was soft and supple. It felt moisturized. The Musgo Real didn't feel quite as good. I'm splitting hairs here. Don't think of it as a huge difference, it's only a minor difference.

I have a criticism of the packaging and it's actually my biggest criticism. A tiny itty bitty cap that has trouble standing the tube vertically is substandard today. Maybe the manufacturer envisions one tube sitting horizontally on the shave shelf and that one lone tube is MR. But in a crowded cabinet the tubes must stand on end. Would it kill them to make a cap that can easily do that!? It might cost a few pennies more to make, but what's a few pennies? I built a stand for the tube, the cap sits inside the stand so as to defeat their substandard cap, but how many folks will do that?

I didn't dislike the Musgo Real, it is what is, and it's definitely a better than average performer, but they listen to the wrong people regarding the packaging ("Hey, it's a cap, it keeps the product in the tube, right? What more is needed?"). For me the after face feel isn't a deal breaker because I almost always use an after shave moisturizer anyway. IMO shave soap is intended to perform great during the shave, I don't truly expect it to moisturize my face after the shave (it's nice if it does though), but I know that others might expect that.

FWIW, I purchased a spare tube of MR for the shavepocalypse. So how bad is it actually? The differences in performance are slight, but come on guys fix the darn cap!

32 6,311
 01-31-2013, 09:26 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Great detailed review!

45 3,955
 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
A great review of two creams that are a part of my standard rotation. The Proraso has shea butter which I believe really contributes to the post shave face feel, in fact following with an ASB may be overkill. The Musgo Real contains lanolin, which for me, also leaves a very well conditioned face afterwards. If I had to choose only one to keep around, it would be the Proraso as I believe it has a slight advantage in slickness, ease of lathering and post shave feel. However, I actually prefer the scent of Musgo Real.

127 2,393
 01-31-2013, 10:14 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Brian

A very nice review of two shaving creams I've not used (at this time) Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
User Info
(01-31-2013, 09:44 AM)blzrfn Wrote: A great review of two creams that are a part of my standard rotation. The Proraso has shea butter which I believe really contributes to the post shave face feel, in fact following with an ASB may be overkill. The Musgo Real contains lanolin, which for me, also leaves a very well conditioned face afterwards. If I had to choose only one to keep around, it would be the Proraso as I believe it has a slight advantage in slickness, ease of lathering and post shave feel. However, I actually prefer the scent of Musgo Real.

I actually thought I felt that also, but I wasn't quite sure, so I didn't mention it. For me everything lathers extremely easily. I should have written that in the review, and I think I will now.

32 6,311
 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
Nice review . I like both creams and agree the proraso sandalwood scent sticks around a bit. I prefer the Musgo scent but my clean shaven face enjoys both.

19 414
 01-31-2013, 10:45 AM
  • Cobre
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I have both and love them both, I actually like the strength of the sandalwood on the proraso

8 154
 01-31-2013, 12:04 PM
User Info
Nice review...I haven't tried Musgo, but the Proraso sandalwood it a top notch cream.

5 938
 01-31-2013, 12:19 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Nice review. Makes me want to order some of the Proraso sandalwood.

I just picked up a tube of Musgo Real Spiced Citrus cream, and had a very similar experience to what you describe. I intend to use it again tonight, in fact.

I hadn't paid much attention to the cap, because I don't use that much stuff in tubes these days, so I don't try balancing them that way. The handful I do have are sort of in a pile in a wire basket.

10 1,858
 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM
User Info
I just love the scent of Musgo Real Classic. The AS splash is awesome.

129 6,685
 01-31-2013, 01:35 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(01-31-2013, 01:22 PM)wingdo Wrote: I just love the scent of Musgo Real Classic. The AS splash is awesome.

Second that. Shadow, very nice review!

35 2,703
 01-31-2013, 03:45 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(01-31-2013, 12:19 PM)Songwind Wrote: Nice review. Makes me want to order some of the Proraso sandalwood.

I can spare a sample out of my tube if you would like to take a test drive first. PM me if so.

127 2,393
 01-31-2013, 04:18 PM
User Info
Very nice review - I own all the MR and Proraso creams, they all perform excellent and have I have ROCK CONCRETE hard water in my area Smile

22 5,070
 02-01-2013, 03:24 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've had and used both creams and they both were great performers for me. I parted ways with the Proraso because of the scent though. The Musgo Real I finished and now have the Orange Amber version. I have very hard water and they both lathered easily.

45 3,955
 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM
User Info
For me, Proraso was too strong. I like sandalwood, but this was just overkill for me. It's weird because I love TOBS Sandalwood soap. Oh well, YMMV. Now Musgo Real is a cream I absolutely love.

It works great for me... most lanolin products work great for me. I have notoriously sensitive skin, so my face is always smooth and moisturized when I'm done with my shave.

It was a pleasure doing business with you Shadows, I hope we can do business again soon.

2 396
 02-02-2013, 04:38 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I finally decided to try the Proraso Sandalwood. I haven't used Proraso in a few years so it'll be interesting to see how it compares to what I'm using now.

12 743
 02-02-2013, 10:49 PM
User Info
(02-02-2013, 12:47 PM)MegaBullfrog Wrote: For me, Proraso was too strong. Very understandable. It's quite strong. You did warn me and I almost didn't even try it (as you know), yet had to after acquiring it from you. I like sandalwood, but this was just overkill for me. It's weird because I love TOBS Sandalwood soap. Oh well, YMMV. Now Musgo Real is a cream I absolutely love.

It works great for me... most lanolin products work great for me. I have notoriously sensitive skin, so my face is always smooth and moisturized when I'm done with my shave.

It was a pleasure doing business with you Shadows, I hope we can do business again soon.
Same here! BTW, I left feedback for you. have no fear, it was good. I'd trade with you again in a heartbeat.

32 6,311
 02-03-2013, 12:25 AM
User Info
I have never tried Musgo Real but, I really like the Proraso Sandalwood.

2 805
 02-06-2013, 06:26 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I got to try out the Proraso from blzrfan's generous offer this morning. That's some very nice stuff!

I've been primarily a soap guy since I started, but with some recent purchases I'm coming around on creams. And I think the Proraso Sandalwood may be my next purchase.

10 1,858
 02-07-2013, 05:29 AM
User Info
I prefer MR to anything Proraso... With my water it works just fine, but getting used to the "Grainy" texture of MR takes some time.

The best "Tube" cream I have used is TBS Maca Root, similar money, top performer, almost better than Trumpers if you ask me.

0 652