01-30-2013, 10:36 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Some folk start with an 'aggressive' razor and then do their touch ups/last pass with a milder DE. Others, probably most of us, use the same razor for each shave from start to finish. I am interested in hearing if people go to a milder razor for the last pass/touch-ups, or if they have an adjustable, say, they start with a wide gap, then move down a few notches. Do some go in the opposite direction, i.e. from mild to more aggressive?

Thoughts? Experiences? Preferences?

While I am there... usually for a touch up, I find there is enough hydrated slipperiness/lather 'residue' for me to palm/fingertip the area and then move the blade over. Works well for me, anyway, plus I can feel my way immediately.

0 1,623
 01-30-2013, 11:18 PM
User Info
I have always started and finished with the same razor and if adjustable the same setting. I know some folks change razors though.

I do the same with soap residue, most everyday in fact. I find the razors that I use deposit enough moisture in front of the blade, and my lather is "rich" enough, that it looks like I'm dry shaving, but I'm not. In the past I'd dampen the area with my fingers, but when I discovered what the comb would do I haven't bothered doing the moist finger bit anymore.

32 6,309
 01-31-2013, 06:28 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I have an adjustable, and before I decided it wasn't for me I would start on setting 5 for WTG/XTG and change to 3 for ATG. It made it easier to shave ATG while I was learning.

Now that I am a bit more skilled at it, I use a razor that's more aggressive than either setting for the whole shave.

10 1,858
 01-31-2013, 07:51 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I generally use one razor from start to finish but have used two razors before when I feel a blade has gotten dull and I do not feel like changing the blade mid shave. I just grab another razor out of my rack.

I never fiddle with the adjustment on an adjustable razor once I start my shave.

45 16,307
 01-31-2013, 08:31 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(01-31-2013, 07:51 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I generally use one razor from start to finish but have used two razors before when I feel a blade has gotten dull and I do not feel like changing the blade mid shave. I just grab another razor out of my rack.

I never fiddle with the adjustment on an adjustable razor once I start my shave.

I'm the same way. I only switch razors when I need a "closer" (like in baseball) to finish the job when my starter blade fizzles out.
It's usually a Krona or SuperSpeed with a russian blade.

0 911
 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM
User Info
One shave, one razor for me!

47 1,270
 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I've played around with it, but I haven't really felt it was beneficial and just made for more cleaning afterwards. I have been playing (maybe not the best term) around with a Sanguine "shavette" on the weekends and only use it for a WTG pass then switch over to whatever else is already loaded for ATG and touch-ups, but that is mainly just to get comfortable with the Sanguine (no nicks or cuts yet).

127 2,377
 01-31-2013, 01:06 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I guess I am a rarity. I use a Progress on occasion and I have to change the settings with different passes. Depending on how many days growth I have, I start at 1.5-2.0. The XTG pass is at 1.0-1.5 and the ATG pass is 0.5-1.0. I normally use a Merkur OC or an iKon OSS hybrid or a Feather AS.

SB razors are tricky with my face. The more blade gap the harder it is to use them. The Merkur OC has no gap so it's much easier to use.

16 542
 02-03-2013, 08:38 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
I've done it before in the past. I had about a 5 days growth and I did the first pass with a FaTip and finished with Super Speed. Great results! but nothing I couldn't get from a one razor set up.

53 555
 02-03-2013, 08:39 PM
User Info
When I first started using a R-41 I finished the last pass with my President . I had had enough of the 41 (at least for that shave). It has gotten better lately.

2 805
 02-16-2013, 04:02 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
As said there are some that use two or three razors to shave.

1st Pass - Use a Slant or an aggressive Razor

2nd Pass - a milder razor like a Merkur HD or an EJ 89 or a Adjustable Gillette or a Red Tip Gillette

3rd Pass - a Tech Gillette, Schick Korona, Wilkinson Classic or some other razor.

I have done it and I do enjoy the fact that I can use several razors in one shave.

Otherwise, I would use just one.

1 819
 02-18-2013, 07:00 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
Changing blades mid-shave? I've seen it done on YouTube videos. I've read of it, and I've even done it myself one time. I was still, at that time sorting out my razors & blades. I still don't have enough experience with it all, but I know... A good blade should get though a multi-pass shave easily, without needing to be changed out. Of course, if it's been used a number of times prior... that's something else. jmo

17 290