03-30-2012, 06:11 PM
User Info
I have a EJ 89L and I like it. If, I wanted to buy another razor. Which of these 3 would be a nice choice? Is my current razor considered mild? I assume it is. But, if it is, I think that I may want to try something a little less mild. I have been using straights for a few years and have gotten very busy and don't have the time needed to maintain the edges. So, I got a DE and I like it. It's fast and easy and I don't have to think. But I think I might to try something else, maybe a new one. Biggrin

5 413
 03-30-2012, 06:20 PM
User Info
i'll put my vote in for a Feather. it's considered mild, but can deliver a BBS after some handling.

i do not own an iKon or Weber, so can't comment on their aggression, but the feather is ultra smooth and give irritation free shaves.

not cheap, but can be sold easily if it's not to your liking.

8 2,718
 03-30-2012, 07:06 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Since I have owned all three I would go with the Weber either long handle or bulldog. For the price you can't beat it as it gives an excellent shave that is free of irritation, close and smooth.

100 12,439
 03-30-2012, 07:28 PM
User Info
(03-30-2012, 07:06 PM)slantman Wrote: Since I have owned all three I would go with the Weber either long handle or bulldog. For the price you can't beat it as it gives an excellent shave that is free of irritation, close and smooth.

Is the bulldog like the Mukur HD in size and weight? How much longer is the long?

5 413
 03-30-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
If you can find a used Feather, then go for it. It is, possibly, the smoothest shaver that i have tried. i could not cut nor nick myself no matter how i shaved! Beautifully made razor and very smooth. It does take quite a bit of work to remove coarse beards, though.
i have never tried the Weber, but if they are inexpensive as stated, then try those if you can not find a used Feather.
Good luck.

75 20,883
 03-30-2012, 08:24 PM
User Info
I have all three of the asked about razors (iKon is the S3S and OSS) and I would suggest either the iKon or the Feather, I am underwhelmed by the Weber I think my Muhle R89 is better than the Weber. As mentioned above, the Feather is rather mild but I can get a BBS shave out of it. You just need to learn the correct angle. It shaves great at one angle (roughly 45 degrees) and nothing else seems to cut much hair at all.

Hoever, I would recommend the iKon S3S if you can afford the price tag. The OC side does a great job and the Closed Comb side is mild and great for a second or third pass. It's the best of both worlds.

129 6,685
 03-30-2012, 08:45 PM
User Info
I would suggest getting the Weber, although I have not shaved with an iKon or Feather.

I love my weber, and it has caused me to think about selling all of my razors except for it and my fatboy.

4 309
 03-30-2012, 10:23 PM
User Info
You should just try them all Biggrin

[Image: IMG_0809.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0811.jpg]

Of the models currently available, I'd rate them as follows starting with the least aggressive:

1. iKon closed bar on the Pils style head
2. Feather/Closed bar side of the iKon OSS (they are pretty close)
3. Closed bar Weber DLC head
4. Open comb side of the iKon Pils style head
5. Open comb side of the iKon OSS

However, all of these are closely grouped. On a scale of 1 to 10, all of these options register around 4 to 7.5 on my aggressiveness meter. The new Muehle R41, Merkur slant, Gillette open combs etc. would all register as more aggressive in my book. However, I think the EJ89 that you are using would be somewhere around entries #1 and #2 on my list. Therefore, my answer would be "it depends" if you are basing your upgrade on the criteria of aggressiveness only. Things might be different if you factor in things like fit and finish, materials of construction, price, durability, and whether or not you think the dual personality head is a gimmick or a useful feature.

The good news is all of them are great razors with tight tolerances on production and good resale values. Based on cost alone, if I were in your shoes, I'd go with the Weber first. Recouping costs will be easy on that one since it's not a piggy bank breaker to begin with. hudson worked hard tracking some of his other razors down. If he's thinking about parting ways with them in favor of the Weber that's a pretty good endorsement too.

Good luck on your selection process. Keep us posted!

0 221
 03-31-2012, 04:46 AM
User Info
Krisbarger,

I own models of all three and believe each has the possibility of being at the top of your list depending on what your choice will be influenced by in the end. To answer your second question, the EJ89 is considered as a mild razor.

The ratings provided by TYdeFan05 are a good index of the mildness or aggressiveness of the razor models identified. However, I will add the variable of blade choice to the mix when judging how aggressive or mild the shave is from a particular razor.

My Weber is the classic handle with the ARC coating. The finish of the razor is very similar in appearance to the Feather AS. I recommend the Weber if money is a factor in your decision. It is less expensive and will provide a slightly more aggressive shave than the Feather AS. I use a Super Iridium in the Weber and Feather Hi-Stainless in the Feather. I like the ergonomics of the long handle found on the classic style handle of the Weber. My hands are large and while the all my iKon razors and Feather are comfortable to hold I give the edge to Weber in this area alone. The OC head found on some of the iKon razors are considered by some to be more aggressive to some but I have only used the OSS and find it to be a relatively mild razor. Of all these razors my iKon Modern, Pils style head, gives the mildest shave with a Super Iridium or Astra Superior Platinum.

Good Luck with your choice of razor for as we all know - YMMV:big grin:. Let us know your choice and your impression of the razor.

29 1,731
 03-31-2012, 05:01 AM
User Info
(03-31-2012, 04:46 AM)ridgerunner Wrote: Krisbarger,

I own models of all three and believe each has the possibility of being at the top of your list depending on what your choice will be influenced by in the end. To answer your second question, the EJ89 is considered as a mild razor.

The ratings provided by TYdeFan05 are a good index of the mildness or aggressiveness of the razor models identified. However, I will add the variable of blade choice to the mix when judging how aggressive or mild the shave is from a particular razor.

My Weber is the classic handle with the ARC coating. The finish of the razor is very similar in appearance to the Feather AS. I recommend the Weber if money is a factor in your decision. It is less expensive and will provide a slightly more aggressive shave than the Feather AS. I use a Super Iridium in the Weber and Feather Hi-Stainless in the Feather. I like the ergonomics of the long handle found on the classic style handle of the Weber. My hands are large and while the all my iKon razors and Feather are comfortable to hold I give the edge to Weber in this area alone. The OC head found on some of the iKon razors are considered by some to be more aggressive to some but I have only used the OSS and find it to be a relatively mild razor. Of all these razors my iKon Modern, Pils style head, gives the mildest shave with a Super Iridium or Astra Superior Platinum.

Good Luck with your choice of razor for as we all know - YMMV:big grin:. Let us know your choice and your impression of the razor.

I like red personas in my EJ 89L. Feathers are ok in it also, but I find they only give me about 2-3 shaves max. My reds give 7-8 shaves!

Have you tried the reds in the weber?

5 413
 03-31-2012, 05:08 AM
User Info
I have some reds but did not try them in the Weber. I used the Astra Superior Platinum in the Weber for the first 3 to 4 shaves with the razor. During this time I used the Weber on consecutive days and then went to a Super Iridium and noticed a definite difference in the shave with the change of blades. My top three blades are Super Iridium, Feather Hi-Stainless and Astra Superior Platinums. I do use or try other blades and will consider others for the Weber in the future.

29 1,731
 03-31-2012, 05:18 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I've not tried the Weber as yet.

I own a Feather and two Ikons (S3S and OSS).

I would also recommend the Feather on two fronts.

Fristly, it is the smoothest razor I have ever used and is by far the razor I use most on a day-to-day basis and secondly, the fit and finish of the Feather is superior to the two Ikons.

Don't get me wrong, the Ikons are well made and are a good razor - the Feather just feels to have a little more attention to detail in the way it has been made.

It's an expensive razor, but well worth every penny in my view.

32 638
 03-31-2012, 05:33 AM
User Info
Wow...I could make my mortgage payment with all those razors in the picture. You're a lucky man.

5 273
 03-31-2012, 06:30 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Not to confuse the situation further but perhaps you want to wait a month for the new all stainless Tradere razors to be released. They are very smooth shavers and are moderate on the aggression scale. The price point will be around $150.00. Cool

You really cannot go wrong with any of these options although if you are looking for a razor that is more aggressive than the EJ, I would rule out the Feather.

45 16,307
 03-31-2012, 06:43 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-30-2012, 07:28 PM)Krisbarger Wrote:
(03-30-2012, 07:06 PM)slantman Wrote: Since I have owned all three I would go with the Weber either long handle or bulldog. For the price you can't beat it as it gives an excellent shave that is free of irritation, close and smooth.

Is the bulldog like the Mukur HD in size and weight? How much longer is the long?

much heavier at 3.5 oz (Weber)

100 12,439