01-31-2013, 08:58 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
While the last set of bowls were being fired for the first time, Sonya was already testing out another creation. The same basic bowl shape, with a small strap-style handle. It's big enough to be held from the side, or used to hang the bowl. It's also just the right size to slip your finger or thumb into while lathering for extra stability.

[Image: 8wjdffu.jpeg]

Here's a picture of Sonya demonstrating the grip
[Image: a7RWvq9l.jpeg?1]

I'm interested in feedback from the community. What do you think of the design? Do you like the idea of the handle on this bowl? If you don't like it, how would you change it?

These pieces have now been sold, but we are still interested in your feedback.

10 1,858
 01-31-2013, 09:06 PM
User Info
Awesome looking bowl. The handle seems a bit small though. How did it feel in your hand? What are the dimensions? I would be very interested in getting one of those, please shoot me a PM when you get a chance.

15 222
 01-31-2013, 11:11 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
In my search for the perfect lathering device at thrift stores I picked up a couple of wide bowls with low profile sides. They worked well for lathering except I felt like I was always going to drop it with wet/slippery hands. This strap handle is a good idea, I settled on a mug with a big enough handle to slip my thumb through as the bowl portion rests on my palm and fingers. Of course after buying a half dozen mugs and bowls I have been face lathering almost every day. Blush

127 2,393
 02-01-2013, 06:28 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(01-31-2013, 09:06 PM)reyrascon Wrote: Awesome looking bowl. The handle seems a bit small though. How did it feel in your hand? What are the dimensions? I would be very interested in getting one of those, please shoot me a PM when you get a chance.

The bowl has about a 4"/10cm mouth, and is about 2.5"/6cm deep. They fit very comfortably in my hand for lathering. Not too small to make a good lather in, but not so big they feel unstable. I have broad palms, but not particularly long fingers. If I can palm something comfortably, most grown men probably could, too.

The handle *is* on the small side. We haven't gone too deep into her motivations, but I know she wanted to keep the basic experience of palm lathering w/ one of her bowls, with a little added stability. So it's just big enough for 1 or two fingers, to keep the bowl that much more firmly in hand, or to stabilize it on a counter.

The handle is plenty sturdy enough to attach a leather thong or something like that and hang it on the wall for display between uses. Hanging pottery as wall decoration is something I'd never have thought of if I weren't married to a potter, but it works quite well.

10 1,858
 02-01-2013, 07:12 AM
User Info
(01-31-2013, 09:06 PM)reyrascon Wrote: Awesome looking bowl. The handle seems a bit small though.

+1 I'm not much of a scuttle user, I prefer bowls. I like a handle loop that I could get my thumb "into", and preferbly, for me, i'd like the hole (entrance/exit) to be parallel to the counter when the bowl is setting on the counter.

-Moe

24 212
 02-01-2013, 07:36 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-01-2013, 07:12 AM)Moe Wrote:
(01-31-2013, 09:06 PM)reyrascon Wrote: Awesome looking bowl. The handle seems a bit small though.

+1 I'm not much of a scuttle user, I prefer bowls. I like a handle loop that I could get my thumb "into", and preferbly, for me, i'd like the hole (entrance/exit) to be parallel to the counter when the bowl is setting on the counter.

-Moe

Thanks, that's good feedback.

10 1,858
 02-01-2013, 07:36 AM
User Info
Could you do a photo of someone holding it?

5 410
 02-01-2013, 07:43 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-01-2013, 07:36 AM)Johnus Wrote: Could you do a photo of someone holding it?

The second pic is a top-down of Sonya holding it. You can see her middle (I think) finger where she's using it to hold the bowl by the handle.

Her sleeve blends into the background a bit, though. I'll see if I can brighten it up. I'll also see if we can't get some better pictures.

Okay, a little brightness and contrast tweaking, and a helpful arrow, and the second pic is much clearer.

10 1,858
 02-01-2013, 08:22 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
That is an interesting concept on the lather bowl. I could definitely want one of these if it were big enough to get my thumb into. I actually like the angle that its at. It allows you, it would seem, to get the whole bowl into your palm and fingers.

That would be only my suggestion on the handle. Just bigger for your thumb. Very interesting...

Now that I go back and look at your description of the picture I see it a little better. Still I think the bigger handle so you could hold it both ways, with your finger, or your thumb would make it just that much better.

Thanks for sharing with us.

14 1,177
 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM
User Info
The small handle seems like it would work great. For one thing, you don't have it jutting out, taking up space and looking all fragile. The bowl would probably rest in my palm, and I could rest my thumb on top of the handle. I wouldn't need to get my thumb through it, just rest on there for a little extra stability.

Maybe the handle could have a little extra texture on top, or get glazed with a matte/rougher glaze, if there's such a thing. Just to add grip without adding unnecessary size.

9 166
 02-01-2013, 03:41 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I find the Etsy store confusing. The only pottery shown are two scuttles that were sold. I would be interested in one of the prototypes. Do I use Etsy to communicate this. If it weren't for threads like this, there is no way to search Etsy to find out that she is offering pottery for sale. Huh

16 545
 02-01-2013, 04:04 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Actually, so far she's sold all the shaving related pottery through b/s/t threads here or elsewhere.

I'll send you a PM.

As for Etsy, it hasn't been very effective for her pottery, so far. I should just take it out of my signature and reduce confusion.

10 1,858
 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
I like the look of the bowl. I would say that the handle may need to be a little larger. I would also like to see the top edges curl in twards the middle of the bowl so that lather moving up the sides folds back into the bowl.

3 497
 02-01-2013, 06:49 PM
User Info
I like the concept, but I can tell you that not one of my fingers would fit in that hole. I agree with others it that it needs to be larger. Another idea would be a vertical strap v. the horizontal strap that the thumb could go through. I guess I'm thinking something similar to the Bill Bowl.

http://shavenook.com/thread-dirty-bird-l...-bill-bowl

5 938
 02-01-2013, 07:17 PM
User Info
Thank you. I see it now. Everything looks a lot smaller on an iPhone screen! They are a nice size. I also like the idea of the textured interior.

5 410
 02-02-2013, 01:28 AM
User Info
I love all these bowls she makes, but personally I prefer those without the handle.

What about making one long "hole" (or large groove) at the outside of the bowl, made to insert the thumb of the holding hand in.

Advantages: it's easier to do rather than the handle, it doesn't affect the bowl symmetry too much, adds stability during the rotating brush movements, and it's a unique design.
Disadvantages: You'll have to pay for the design copyright sending me the resulting bowl Biggrin

0 128
 02-02-2013, 01:52 PM
User Info
(02-02-2013, 01:28 AM)MrDentini Wrote: What about making one long "hole" (or large groove) at the outside of the bowl, made to insert the thumb of the holding hand in.

Advantages: it's easier to do rather than the handle, it doesn't affect the bowl symmetry too much, adds stability during the rotating brush movements, and it's a unique design.
Disadvantages: You'll have to pay for the design copyright sending me the resulting bowl Biggrin

I actually like that idea a lot.Idea

5 938
 02-02-2013, 02:39 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Hi Eric,
I had a similar bowl I bought off an artisan from the Etsy site. I didn't like the side handle. I know its the rage today as a lot of pottery makers are using that style but I found it awkward to lift.
Just my personal opinion.

100 12,448
 02-02-2013, 08:50 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-02-2013, 02:39 PM)slantman Wrote: Hi Eric,
I had a similar bowl I bought off an artisan from the Etsy site. I didn't like the side handle. I know its the rage today as a lot of pottery makers are using that style but I found it awkward to lift.
Just my personal opinion.

Which is exactly what I was hoping for.

10 1,858
 02-11-2013, 08:35 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Here they are out of the kiln.

[Image: cDSqU7Ul.jpg]

"Sapphire" is turning out to be really popular.

10 1,858