02-02-2013, 02:41 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Hello everyone!

I had the awesome chance to try the WSP Pass Around 2-band demo brush and would like to post my review for you all. Unfortunately this will be a pic-less post as my son decided that the camera needed a bath...Angry

I got the brush on Tuesday and have used it for every shave since then. I shave twice a day so it's seen plenty of action.

I really like the handle style...My right hand has had some damage done to it and so I tend to prefer the Style 1 or Duke style of handles. The handle feels solid and is a wonderful shape for me. I liked the color as well, and my son commented that it looked like Lava. He loves Volcanoes!

The bristles were very nice but in all honesty the loft was too high for me and I longed for a scrubbier brush. It lathers beautifully, but the splay from the longer loft left me wanting.

The tips of the brush are VERY soft and the bristles have plenty of backbone! I have had no issues loading Hard soaps at all and had a blast with all my creams. I'm not sure what it smells like now but it has had DR Harris Almond, Windsor, and Marlborough, Trumper Limes, and Violet Tallow, AOS Lemon SC, and Spencer and Devon Spice lathered in it.

One thing that I know is a shorter loft would take care of lather release. This brush gives up alot of the lather, but I tend to over-use product so the "breech" becomes loaded quite full of lather...a shorter brush would have made it easier to get the lather to my face while lathering. A note...This Brush IS NOT FLOPPY at all.

Bowl lathering was a bit harder for me due to small handle, but the lather came out perfectly after a bit of work.

Face Lathering was easy as pie. I was able to make mounds of beautiful lather with every product I own, so no problems there.

The only problem I had was the loft length, but the brush behaved admirably. I know that the brush will be offered in a shorter loft so my concern is trivial.

Density was perfect for me...any denser and the brush would have been too large for me.

Overall I give this brush an 8 out of 10, mostly for the loft which is a personal choice. Also the knot was set a little deep, so I really had to shake hard to get all the water out...again that is not a dig on the brush, afterall it is a demo brush.

I would like to thank Lee at WSP for giving me the opportunity to try this brush. This is virtually unheard of in today's economic climate and it is refreshing that WSP is doing business "outside the box".

All Comments are welcome and encouraged!

Thanks again!

Matt

68 1,416
 02-02-2013, 07:46 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Thanks for the feedback, Matt. I bought a WSP "beta" Stubby 2-band off our BST and the general bristle characteristics are the same as you describe. Only mine has a shortish loft in proportion to its 28mm knot and little splay. So far, it's quite selfish with lather and I do prefer a bit more loft and spread. What are the specs of your WSP? I look forward to that and some pics, for comparison.

35 2,703
 02-02-2013, 09:40 AM
User Info
Woohoo! Almost my turn.

Great review. I'm excited to try this brush so I can fine tune what loft ill choose for mine down the road.

31 7,914
 02-02-2013, 09:54 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thank you so much for the inputs about this brush , crag.

I can only say that Lee is offering very nice knots/brushes and I know that he always go the extra mile to provide quality badger hair , or recently , synthetic and boar hair.Thats something I do admire from him , and many if us appreciate.Hope he can keep up with this in the future.

86 7,123
 02-02-2013, 10:10 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I wrote the review very late last night so perhaps my brain was a bIt fuzzy... I did not mean that the brush was bad at all just that I prefer shorter loft. I would love to have this brush in my collection but with a shorter loft. The hair is a very good quality!

68 1,416
 02-02-2013, 05:26 PM
User Info
Matt, very nice review!

75 20,883
 02-05-2013, 07:48 AM
User Info
I have had two beta brushes from WSP. If this brush is the beta with the horn handle, it reminds me a lot of a Rooney 2XL Heritage. If it's the newer beta with the black "ball and bobbin" handle, it reminds me more of a Chubby 2 in 2-band (softer backbone).

I have to admit that I was very pleasantly surprised to find that both of these brushes are of excellent quality and are legitimate competitors to their British counterparts.

66 692
 02-05-2013, 08:01 AM
User Info
Whoa! I've not heard of this black "ball and bobbin" handle. I'd be curious to see what that looks like. Makes me think it could be similar to the DaVinci globe handle.

I believe that this brush is supposed to be similar to the beta with the horn handle.

31 7,914
 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-05-2013, 08:01 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Whoa! I've not heard of this black "ball and bobbin" handle. I'd be curious to see what that looks like. Makes me think it could be similar to the DaVinci globe handle.

I believe that this brush is supposed to be similar to the beta with the horn handle.

I think the "ball and bobbin" has the ball on top, and the bobbin for the base. So the reverse of the daVinci.

10 1,858
 02-05-2013, 08:21 AM
User Info
Yes, the ball is on top. I can't take a pic because I loaned it to a friend who wanted to try out.

66 692