02-02-2013, 03:14 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
First, thank you to Brian for sending me the Wee Scot to try. Thank you Smile

Second, a search here on The Shave Nook didn't turn up a Wee Scot review, I've therefore created this thread to share my thoughts.

Wee Scot - Best Badger spec's:
  • Overall height: 65mm
  • Base: 30mm
  • Loft: 35mm
  • Knot: 14mm
This brush is small, in fact I would classify it as "tiny" (or extra small), in Beta son's (4 years old) hands it looks right, he can hold it perfectly...

[Image: GgqHUmq.jpg]

Simpsons Wee Scot

[Image: 0Xq6cNt.jpg]

Simpsons Wee Scot

[Image: 9ORUz6f.jpg]

(L to R) Simpsons Wee Scot, Simpsons Case

[Image: pNjLqDY.jpg]

(L to R) Taylor of Old Bond Street RT1S, Simpsons Wee Scot, Rooney Style 3 Size 1

Even though the Wee Scot handle is tiny I found it surprisingly comfortable and secure to hold between the tip of my thumb and tip of my index finger.

I can't imagine using this brush for bowl or scuttle lathering, unless you're trying to win a wager, but as I don't use either of those methods it really is a moot point for someone like myself -- 100% face latherer.

In total I used the Wee Scot for seven consecutive days (7 shaves), three times with shaving creams, twice with a "hard" shaving soap and twice with a "soft" shaving soap.

The Wee Scot is now the fourth Simpsons shaving brush I've used with Best Badger and just like the previous three I'm (still) amazed with how good Simpsons Best Badger hair is, it really is very good. The hair may not have "white" tips, but the knots exhibit three distinct colour bands, individual hairs are fine (not super fine like some silvertip knots), and the knots themselves are well packed -- definitely not found wanting in the hair density department. Personally I think Simpsons Best Badger is untreated (by that I mean not bleached or coloured) and not overly sorted silvertip hair, but it's still silvertip hair (IMHO). Then factor in Simpsons know a thing or two about building knots, you end up with a very good badger knot.

For the Wee Scot's first use I decided to go with GEO F Trumper Coconut Oil soft shaving cream. Using painting strokes the knot had zero problem building up a good, dense, slick lather for a 2 pass shave. For such a small knot the flow through blew me away. Amazing. Yes, lathering up takes a little more time compared to "normal" sized brushes, but not that much more, plus all the lather goes exactly where it should, the tiny knot gives you pinpoint control...

Just like the other three Simpsons Best Badger shaving brushes I've used, when painting strokes are employed I feel no scritch or scratch, just soft tips and a flexible wall of badger moving across the skin. Likewise when circular motions are adopted (not the method I use to build lather, but always like to try when using a "new" shaving brush) I feel no scratch, just the fainest bit of scritch coming through, with the overwhelming feeling of a flexible wall of badger gently scrubbing away at the skin.

Though I no longer go with 3 passes when shaving, just for giggles I tried lathering up for a third pass, much to my amusement and amazement the Wee Scot had enough and gave up enough useable lather for a third pass. Wow! what a dynamite "tiny" brush.

When used with the shaving soaps ("hard" and "soft") I found I had take the Wee Scot back to the soaps for a 5 second reload to achieve the lather I look for on the second pass. I believe that's more a reflection on my "poor" loading technique of shaving soaps than a negative of the Wee Scot.

[Image: q3tFLwt.jpg]

Simpsons Wee Scot post-bloom

Though I really enjoyed the Wee Scot I wouldn't wish to use one as my everyday shaving brush, mainly because everything about it is just that bit too "tiny" to make it truly enjoyable for daily use.

As a travel brush the Wee Scot would be more than capable (IMHO), even though it's "tiny" and looks more like a novelty item than a fully functional shaving brush, those looks are deceiving -- as it's more than capable of building and delivering top quality lather on the go (or at home).

Will I buy one? Would be a definite yes, if I didn't already own a number of "small" shaving brushes which double up as (very) good travel brushes. So my real answer at this time is "maybe", as it would be nice to own such an iconic Simpsons shaving brush, but currently I have 3 or 4 Simpsons on my "Wish List", along with a Rooney and a few others...

23 1,872
 02-02-2013, 03:29 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Great review , Mike !!! Simply perfect.

Yes , the Wee Scot has something very appealing , as well as its great performance for its tiny size.

I remember reading Mr Gary Young about his uncle Alexander fav brushes : the Chubby 2 and the Wee Scot.There you go , it says a lot about that brush.

A Great brush the Wee Scot is !!!

[Image: P1220302-2.jpg?m=1356766222]

86 7,123
 02-02-2013, 03:59 PM
User Info
Awesome picture T.

I had one, it worked great, just found the handle a little small to be comfortable.

Nice little brush overall.

7 1,179
 02-02-2013, 04:28 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
I use my Wee Scot when I travel paired up with a shave soap stick. Since I apply the soap directly to my face and then use the brush to lather I have no problem getting enough lather for 3 passes. It really is an amazing tiny lather machine.

Great Review Mike.

Great PICs as well.

3 497
 02-02-2013, 05:24 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Mike, nice review on one of my all time favorite small brushes. I used one for years when I traveled for a living and for some stupid reason I let my son talk me out of the brush. I have several small boars I use now when traveling, but after reading your great review, I might just have to get another one. Maybe if I do I will qualify putting one of those cute little badgers next to my name like ben74 has.

173 23,531
 02-02-2013, 05:54 PM
User Info
Mike, great review of the brush! It sure is a wee one.

75 20,883
 02-02-2013, 06:07 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Great review! I've always been curios about this brush. However, I've never pulled the trigger thinking it would be to small for me to use on a regular basis and would end up just a novelty.

45 3,955
 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM
User Info
Really good review! I'd say you put into words exactly what the brush is. Yes, too small IMO to be an everyday brush, but I'll use it every few rotations through the brushes just to remind me that it's there. Every time I pick it up to use it, I look at it in wonder... It simply can't work, yet I know that it does. It's really quite remarkable.

Someday I'd like to try a Wee Scot 1. It's the predecessor of the WS you have in hand, and it's smaller yet again.

32 6,309
 02-02-2013, 08:41 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Great review, and another voice for the chorus of support for the Wee Scot. (Just who was the "wee Scot," anyway?)

But...

mikeperry Wrote:This brush is small, in fact I would classify it as "tiny" (or extra small), in Beta son's (4 years old) hands it looks right, he can hold it perfectly...

I can't help but want pictures of this. I bet it's adorable.

10 1,858
 02-02-2013, 10:23 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I understand the Case was once considered a type of Wee Scot. There is also the Nano Scot, even smaller than the Wee Scot. I want one. Butterscotch. Or should that be Butter Scot?

0 1,624
 02-02-2013, 11:04 PM
User Info
That's what I've read also Shaun; it may have been here. There was the Nano, the present WeeScot and the Case was size 3. What a coincidence that Mike photographed it next to a Case! I'm betting he knew that factoid.

There are other badger brush manufacturers whose brushes I use, but by far I consider Simpsons to have the most rounded selection coupled with consistent high quality. I'm also betting that the Nano was just too small and that's why it's no longer made. But that's a guess on my part. That is, for a small increase in size the WeeScot is so much more useable. Too, I'd wager that the cost between the Nano and WeeScot was meaningless since the majority of the cost is labor with the small brushes and not materials as it is with larger brushes.

32 6,309
 02-03-2013, 01:35 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Thanks for the review. It is on my March wish list Smile

11 861
 02-03-2013, 02:58 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Gents, thank you for the kind words, they're much appreciated...

(02-02-2013, 08:41 PM)Songwind Wrote: But...

mikeperry Wrote:This brush is small, in fact I would classify it as "tiny" (or extra small), in Beta son's (4 years old) hands it looks right, he can hold it perfectly...

I can't help but want pictures of this. I bet it's adorable.

Hi Eric

Here you go...

[Image: xobCEWj.jpg]

Beta son with his Brian's Simpsons Wee Scot

[Image: SuF2dvj.jpg]

[Image: Z3alXvN.jpg]

[Image: RGUMln8.jpg]

[Image: EJM9UB2.jpg]

Beta son with his Brian's Simpsons Wee Scot & daddies Chubby 2

Take care, Mike

(02-02-2013, 11:04 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: That's what I've read also Shaun; it may have been here. There was the Nano, the present WeeScot and the Case was size 3. What a coincidence that Mike photographed it next to a Case! I'm betting he knew that factoid.

Hi Brian

You would win your bet Biggrin

When I got the Case, I spoke with Gary Young about it -- he told me the Case was known as the Wee Scot III internally while it was under design, development, and continued to be called the Wee Scot III internally after the brush was officially launched as the Case.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-04-2013, 02:17 AM
User Info
This was posted on another forum: http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2012/03/...signature/

A great little review and a response from Gary Young himself.

"I am lucky to have the honour of having Alex Simpson as my Great Uncle so I can answer this quite easily.

The Wee Scot was the brush that Uncle Alex believed optimised a Simpson brush. Yes, it bears all the hallmarks of a Simpson brush. The Wee Scot was the final part of the apprenticeship. This was the hardest brush to make by hand because of its diminutive proportions. You really had to be confident in all aspects of brushmaking, from turning the handle to forming the knot, to be able to put the Wee Scot together. All of us who were taught to make Simpson brushes had to make one and have it scrutinised before being allowed to run riot with all the other brushes in the range. Funnily enough it wasn’t the current Wee Scot (actually the Wee Scot 2) which we had to make – it was its smaller brother the Wee Scot 1.

This is why Uncle Alex signed the brush because in his eyes, and in ours, the Wee Scot was THE brush that could be held and inspected in chemists, barbers and shops around the world and the holder could see the craft that was used in its making. It was the perfect ‘model brush’.

Gary"

A great little brush.

8 243
 02-04-2013, 02:32 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Great review Mike.

Thanks for posting it up. Smile

32 638
 02-04-2013, 07:54 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Great pics, Mike!

10 1,858
 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Mike, great review. Wee Scot was my very first Simpson and I still have it and will never sell it. My 16 year old son used it as his first brush when he began shaving (DE, of course). He now "graduated" to my Case, which is also an outstanding brush. I have my Wee Scot back now and will be using it now and then, but not every day, as yourself, I find it too small for everyday use in the handle. This brush is so amazing in the way it looks like a toy, but performs like a real GOOD brush and will rival some larger ones. Not sure what it is about it.

Excellent review and I agree with the whole thing. I love my Wee Scot. If you are on the fence, I suggest just look for one on BST. They come up for $25-$30 every now and then and are totally worth it.

25 1,705
 02-05-2013, 07:56 PM
User Info
Nice review. I have not used the Wee Scott, but have recently found an appreciation for small brushes in Omega's Mighty Midget. I'd love to try the WS in the future.

5 938
 02-06-2013, 04:16 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-05-2013, 07:56 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Nice review. I have not used the Wee Scott, but have recently found an appreciation for small brushes in Omega's Mighty Midget. I'd love to try the WS in the future.

Wee Scot makes Mighty Midget look huge. I have not tried MM, but the Wee Scot is ikonic Simpson. I had an email conversation with Gary and he spoke about how the Wee Scot is the brush that a master brush maker at Simpson has to learn to make to become a master brush maker. It's the only brush that has his uncle's signature on it. It's totally worth having even if it's not a daily driver. Going camping with this thing is a joy. Dries in less than an hour and is totally capable of providing a full shave's worth of lather on one load. Just a honey of a brush. Case is also excellent and can totally be a daily driver.

25 1,705
 02-06-2013, 06:41 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(02-04-2013, 02:17 AM)jodypress Wrote: This was posted on another forum: http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2012/03/...signature/

A great little review and a response from Gary Young himself.

"I am lucky to have the honour of having Alex Simpson as my Great Uncle so I can answer this quite easily.

The Wee Scot was the brush that Uncle Alex believed optimised a Simpson brush. Yes, it bears all the hallmarks of a Simpson brush. The Wee Scot was the final part of the apprenticeship. This was the hardest brush to make by hand because of its diminutive proportions. You really had to be confident in all aspects of brushmaking, from turning the handle to forming the knot, to be able to put the Wee Scot together. All of us who were taught to make Simpson brushes had to make one and have it scrutinised before being allowed to run riot with all the other brushes in the range. Funnily enough it wasn’t the current Wee Scot (actually the Wee Scot 2) which we had to make – it was its smaller brother the Wee Scot 1.

This is why Uncle Alex signed the brush because in his eyes, and in ours, the Wee Scot was THE brush that could be held and inspected in chemists, barbers and shops around the world and the holder could see the craft that was used in its making. It was the perfect ‘model brush’.

Gary"

A great little brush.

Thanks for posting that great info provided by Mr Gary Young.

86 7,123