03-31-2012, 04:52 AM
User Info
I have had the Ikon OSS since Christmas 2011. I got the Weber ARC a week ago. I thought I would do a review of the Weber and compare it to the OSS.

This is a pic of them side by side with the Weber to the right

This is each razor disassembled. Agian the Weber is in the right

Weber ARC
The Weber was purchased from Weber Razors Amazon link. The razor cost $65 plus $4.99 shipping (for two razors as I ordered a DLC for Fusil).

Service: Excellent. I ordered on Sunday and received the razors on Tuesday

Razor dimensions:
Head (w) 1 1/2 inches
Handle (L) 3 3/4
Overall (L) 4 1/8

I do not have a balance so I can not offer the weight

Impressions:
This razor is very nice. The fit and finish is very good. The knurling in the handle is deep and aggressive. I prefer a "hefty" razor and this fits the bill. Nice and solid feel with a nice long handle. The head is very slick feeling due to the ARC coating. The coating is similar in color to the handle. The razor is nice to look at and to hold.

Shaving:
In a word - TERRIFIC I have used Feather and Israeli Personnas in the ARC.
This razor just gets it right. Not to aggressive. But not to mild. I get excellent shaves. No weepers no bleeding.

OSS
I purchased my razor from Bullgoose Shaving. It was one of the discounted models due to blemishes. I do not see any. The razor costs $120 and shipping was free.

Service:
It goes without saying the service of Phil is always excellent. I received a personal email acknowlegment 3 minutes after I sent the order.

Razor dimensions:
Head (w) 1 5/8 inches
Handle (L) 3 3/4
Overall (L) 4

Impressions:
This thing is a work of art. it should be in the MoMA. It is beautiful to look at and a delight to hold. The fit and finish are the best of any razor I own. This razor is also hefty.
The head extends over the blade tabs. A very nice visual touch but it does not affect my shaving for good nor bad.

Shaving:
The OSS has a comb on one side and a bar on the other. The comb is more aggressive than the bar. I was worried I would favor the comb. I didn't want to have essentially a single edge so I made a conscious decision to just shave normally without regards to the comb or bar side. This works for me.

I get good shaves from the OSS. It is a mild razor no matter which side you use. The weight and handle lenght feel good to me.

Overall:
I prefer the Weber. I get consistent excellent shaves without even trying.

I can get almost as good shaves from the OSS. But I have to put more thought and effort into it. If I am not to careful I get weepers because I bore down on the razor trying to get a closer shave.

Phil S.

7 363
 03-31-2012, 05:28 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Nice review Phil.

Thanks for posting this. Smile

32 638
 03-31-2012, 08:35 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
That was an excellent review Phil. I agree the Weber is a little more aggressive but gives a very smooth and close shave. I have the DLC/Bulldog Weber and its construction is first class. The price is unbeatable for what you get. The ARC Weber looks stunning.

100 12,444
 03-31-2012, 12:03 PM
User Info
Great review. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the Weber. I do however have concerns on the durability of the coating on the head.

7 1,179
 03-31-2012, 02:43 PM
User Info
(03-31-2012, 12:03 PM)Dipesh Wrote: Great review. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the Weber. I do however have concerns on the durability of the coating on the head.

I read about the coating and it seems pretty darn good. Im curious, what are your reservations? I don't know a lot about metals so I am just wanting to know. Not saying your reservations are not founded. Wink

5 413
 03-31-2012, 03:46 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-31-2012, 12:03 PM)Dipesh Wrote: Great review. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the Weber. I do however have concerns on the durability of the coating on the head.

I understand dlc and arc coatings are very similar. They are using dlc coatings on some Rolex watches which run over 10k. If Weber made the arc head and bulldog handle I buy one in a minute.

100 12,444
 04-01-2012, 09:38 AM
User Info
I concur that the ARC Weber is an astonishingly good razor. I'm still trying to figure out how it does it. I assume it's the same head as the DLC, just a different coating (medical chromium instead of diamond-like carbon). I do like the feel of the DLC head on my skin, but I think I get better shaves with the ARC. And the price, given the quality of the razor, is a bargain.

Thanks for a good review.

0 101
 04-01-2012, 10:32 AM
User Info
(03-31-2012, 02:43 PM)Krisbarger Wrote:

I read about the coating and it seems pretty darn good. Im curious, what are your reservations? I don't know a lot about metals so I am just wanting to know. Not saying your reservations are not founded. Wink

Hi, my only reservations are that it may be get chipped easily. I like the idea and want to try it but this is the only reason that's stopping me getting one.

7 1,179
 04-01-2012, 10:58 AM
User Info
Excellent review, sir! Well done.

75 20,883
 04-01-2012, 04:19 PM
User Info
(03-31-2012, 04:52 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote: Overall:
I prefer the Weber. I get consistent excellent shaves without even trying.

My experience as well,it's almost as if I'm done too soon..

(03-31-2012, 08:35 AM)slantman Wrote: That was an excellent review Phil. I agree the Weber is a little more aggressive but gives a very smooth and close shave. I have the DLC/Bulldog Weber and its construction is first class. The price is unbeatable for what you get. The ARC Weber looks stunning.

I think they did a lot of homework and listened to feedback to really get it right after their initial open comb design a couple of years back.

(04-01-2012, 09:38 AM)Leisureguy Wrote: I concur that the ARC Weber is an astonishingly good razor. I'm still trying to figure out how it does it. I assume it's the same head as the DLC, just a different coating (medical chromium instead of diamond-like carbon). I do like the feel of the DLC head on my skin, but I think I get better shaves with the ARC. And the price, given the quality of the razor, is a bargain.

Thanks for a good review.

Heck of a great price for stainless steel and a killer shave

My Blacktop BullDog:
[Image: securedownload-6-1.jpg][Image: securedownload-4-1.jpg]

7 414
 05-28-2012, 05:50 AM
User Info
If I could only own one or the other,it would be the iKon OSS

I shaved for several weeks with a Weber DLC Bulldog,outstanding razor,worth every penny but it's nowhere near as versatile as the OSS.

Ironically I had given Weber quit a bit of praise in this same thread,yet I've since sold it as I don't tend to accumulate razors.

The closed comb side of the OSS is quite good,while less agressive than the Weber I'm getting outstanding results.With the razor's relatively thin cap (less rounded than the Weber's) I found it to be very effective with a more shallow angle a little reminiscent of that of a pre 1920 Gillette Old

I'm equally pleased with the OC experience as well,taking full advantage of both sides....

Still learning the OSS,I like to learn a razor well before doing a full review...

7 414
 05-28-2012, 06:12 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review!

I've got both the Ikon OSS and the Weber DLC with the bulldog handle. I enjoyed both razors, but neither are my favourite. Open comb suits me better so this is primarily the reason why I would choose the Ikon over the Weber. If the OSS was OC on both sides it would see a lot more use, despite being milder than the Weber.

I contacted Weber regarding the possibility of an OC and was informed that it was unlikely.

Ikon on the other hand is working on a new all OC and according to Greg will be available by the end of the year. After receiving the Tradere recently, the Ikon is now the next razor I'm eagerly awaiting...

91 17,851
 05-28-2012, 06:21 AM
User Info
I use weber DLC, and it is a great shaver. One of, if not the best in my nook.
It has a stunning finish and I think it is a bargain for the actual price.
I am looking forward to trying the ARC head, but it's not available at the moment. Does anyone know when it will be available?

4 365
 05-28-2012, 06:30 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I have no idea Burak. I bought a Weber DLC from shanman and love the shave I get from it. I want an ARC but Weber doesn't have them and no one is selling theirs. I even went so far on another Shaving forum as to offer my DLC plus cash for an ARC, but no one is giving them up. I ordered 2 iKons last week (an OSS and an S3S) and I look forward to comparing them to both the Tradere and the Weber (which are my 2 favorite razors at the moment).

116 3,804
 05-28-2012, 06:39 AM
User Info
(05-28-2012, 06:30 AM)Dave Wrote: I have no idea Burak. I bought a Weber DLC from shanman and love the shave I get from it. I want an ARC but Weber doesn't have them and no one is selling theirs. I even went so far on another Shaving forum as to offer my DLC plus cash for an ARC, but no one is giving them up. I ordered 2 iKons last week (an OSS and an S3S) and I look forward to comparing them to both the Tradere and the Weber (which are my 2 favorite razors at the moment).

Dave,that's gonna be like dating 4 different girls and not letting 'em rip each other's heads off Biggrin

I look forward to hearing your thoughts

7 414
 05-28-2012, 06:48 AM
  • SLB04
  • Schalksmühle
User Info
I have the Weber DLC with a Bulldog handle and I have used the iKon OSS in the last weeks which a friend of mine borrowed me.

The black head and the polished handle of the Weber are very well made but I would prefer to have both coated. This is the only thing that annoys me.

The OSS looks perfect. It's very well made but the razor is too mild for me. The closed comb side is nearly useless for me. The open comp side is ok but still mild. I have better shaves with the razor as I get a much better feedback of the blade with the WEber. I am glad that I have bought this razor.

I am just waiting for a DLC coated handle.

1 374
 05-28-2012, 06:55 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(05-28-2012, 06:39 AM)razorx Wrote:
(05-28-2012, 06:30 AM)Dave Wrote: I have no idea Burak. I bought a Weber DLC from shanman and love the shave I get from it. I want an ARC but Weber doesn't have them and no one is selling theirs. I even went so far on another Shaving forum as to offer my DLC plus cash for an ARC, but no one is giving them up. I ordered 2 iKons last week (an OSS and an S3S) and I look forward to comparing them to both the Tradere and the Weber (which are my 2 favorite razors at the moment).

Dave,that's gonna be like dating 4 different girls and not letting 'em rip each other's heads off Biggrin

I look forward to hearing your thoughts

Haha very true.
My ultimate goal is to get down to 2 or 3 razors. I'm down to about 12 total now (after having 40 plus for a while). I'm not a collector. If they don't get used at least once every couple of weeks, they get sold.

I have always wanted to try an iKon and fell in love with the OSS and the S3S. I figure that if I like one of those over the other, I'll sell one. I've tried a Feather and had a few shaves with it and just didn't care for it. My last big razor that I want is a Joris Palladium which I know I'll like because I have enjoyed the shave I got with a Fatip. I always seem to miss out on them though on the BST.

I bought a Weber initially and just didn't like the handle at all. It was like holding a spindle to me. It's become one of my favorites now that it has a Bulldog Handle.

116 3,804
 05-28-2012, 07:12 AM
User Info
(05-28-2012, 06:12 AM)ben74 Wrote: Great review!

I've got both the Ikon OSS and the Weber DLC with the bulldog handle. I enjoyed both razors, but neither are my favourite. Open comb suits me better so this is primarily the reason why I would choose the Ikon over the Weber. If the OSS was OC on both sides it would see a lot more use, despite being milder than the Weber.

I contacted Weber regarding the possibility of an OC and was informed that it was unlikely.

Ikon on the other hand is working on a new all OC and according to Greg will be available by the end of the year. After receiving the Tradere recently, the Ikon is now the next razor I'm eagerly awaiting...

Ben,although I'd be reaching for the OSS if only for faceshaving,I headshave and faceshave including edging around a goatee,I might be as good an example of getting full use of both sides of the OSS as it gets.

Head:CC
Around goatee/under nose:OC and CC
Neck and Jaw/Lower part of face:OC
Upper part of face:CC

I find headshaving's more challenging than face,I know that for me it's much easier to get irritation up there,yet I insist on an ultra close smooth shave and the Weber was the only razor I trusted.After going ATG with the OSS and finding it's optimal angle I found I can get an even smoother long lasting mistake free shave.

Of course I could get it all done solely with a CC or OC with enough attention to technique,but I'd don't have to make that choice.

I used to scoff at people insisting the blade tabs be covered,man it sure is nice to take that OSS right up against my ears without any drama.

I rarely had trouble with blade alignment on the Weber,but gotta say it's sort of nice to know the OSS is going to nail it dead solid perfect every single time.

At the end of the day both nice enough razors to deserve a place in the stable,but as I said,I'm trying not to accumulate.

7 414
 05-28-2012, 07:19 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
I'd like to see the Feather AS-D1 thrown into this review! I have owned the feather, and found it much too mild for my tastes. I would certainly like to try the OSS or the Weber as well.

9 408
 05-28-2012, 07:19 AM
User Info

Looking forward to your review, Dave.

4 365