02-02-2013, 07:49 PM
User Info
Ive had a few rough shaves recently, and on some recommendations I'm gonna get a blade sample pack on the way. A few people also stated they've had bad experiences with the mekur razors. so in the mean time i'm doing some homework on potentially upgrading if blades dont resolve my problems. I've currently got a Mekur 33C. These are plated, correct? What is the benefit of stainless steel like the ATT or ikons? Is it just the weight and maintenance?

if i'm going to drop the cash for an expensive stainless like the ATT, i'd like to know which blade angle to get (H1, R1, M1), but i have no idea how to know which one is right for me (more or less aggressive).

Would i potentially be better off getting an economical adjustable, like a mekur progress or future or vision?

I'm trying to figure out an economical way of upgrading...i.e. not breaking the bank on one razor or end up with 10 different ones. I've been looking for a good write-up on different features but no luck.....

0 32
 02-02-2013, 07:55 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Is the Merkur 33C the first and only DE you have used? If so, I would suggest a Edwin Jagger DE89. It is by far the best starter razor in my opinion. I think you will find it much smoother than the 33C.

45 3,955
 02-02-2013, 08:17 PM
User Info
Yeah, the 33C is my only razor. Maybe its my untrained eye, but many of these different razors look basically the same, other than materials, open comb, closed comb, safety bar, and handle design. Even blade angle appears to be the same, except for on adjustables or slant models....i mean to say it seems like maybe 2 or 3 companies make the heads and sell them to other companies who put their own handle on them.

0 32
 02-02-2013, 09:00 PM
User Info
Have you considered vintage razors? You can try many and not break the bank even if you keep them. If you don't want to keep them they hold their value and can be sold in the B/t section.

There are quite a few vintage razors that would be worth trying. Are you firm on DE? Or would you consider a SE razor?

32 6,308
 02-02-2013, 09:43 PM
User Info
i would highly suggest a vintage adjustable or the Merkur Progress before spending the money on the more expensive stainless steel razors for now. If you are determined to get a SS razor, then you may want to consider a Weber.
The 33C is a fine shaver and it might just be your technique, lather, prep or blade that might be causing the problem.
What is your prep and routine like?

75 20,883
 02-02-2013, 10:30 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I, too, would advocate a change rather than an upgrade, as I don't think the problem is a matter of quality.

I, personally, don't recommend Merkur razors for beginners (except possibly the Progress), as I find them too aggressive.

When I wandered into these forums and the enhanced traditional wetshave (though I had learned to shave years ago with a Schick Injector and a Gillette DE), I started with a Merkur long-handled Classic. I always got a lot of skin irritation, so I switched to a very mild Weishi, which resolved the issue of skin irritation and my learning accelerated. At some point, not long after that, I tried a Gillette Tech and I used that razor almost exclusively for the next 3 1/2 years.

After that, I started experimenting with more aggressive razors, such as the Edwin Jagger, Weber, SE GEMS such as the Featherweight and Heavy Flattop/G-bar, but all were too aggressive for regular use on my very sensitive skin.

So I am back to using the genuinely mild razors, such as the second-generation iKon three-piece with safety bars, the Feather AS-D1, and the Tech. (Note that the latest iKon three-piece with safety bars is more aggressive than mine.)

I have a variety of Techs, including the original 1939 - 1941 Tech with triangular slots, reputed to be more aggressive than later Techs, the 1946 - 1950 Tech that I used for over three years, and an English Tech with aluminum handle, also reputed to be a little more aggressive than the typical US Tech. I may also do some experimentation involving these different Techs with heavier handles.

I would recommend you try a milder razor, such as a Gillette Tech. As mentioned before, you could get one of these for very little money, and it would not lose its value if you decided to sell it. A vintage Gillette Adjustable would cost more, but it would also be a very good choice.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-02-2013, 10:45 PM
User Info
I'm with others I'm that I suggest trying a vintage razor like a Gillette Superspeed or Tech. You can find these on eBay pretty cheaply for a user grade razor. Come to think of it, I have a user grade flairtip Superspeed laying around not getting much use...if you are interested in trying it out PM me and we can work out something.

5 938
 02-02-2013, 11:31 PM
User Info
I started with an EJ DE89 and loved it! My goto razor now is a Weber and find it slightly more aggressive. Still have the DE89 with a Weber bulldog handle as my travel razor and thoroughly enjoy it! (been using it the last few days in fact).

In short, an awesome, forgiving razor that's just a joy to shave with!

47 1,112
 02-03-2013, 08:18 AM
User Info
Thanks, alot to reply to here. Yes, "change" would have been a better word to use than "upgrade"; doesnt have to be a "better" razor just better for me. My prep routine has been the cold-prep i found on this website, I believe its yours celestino - but i use proraso pre-shave instead of lather for the initial massage (i tried using the lather but then never felt i had enough lather for the third pass, although with TOBS i probably would, and still had irritation and red bumps on my neck...but not as bad as with a warm prep from b&b).

I miss-spoke, i picked up a gillete slim adjustable on ebay, i gave it a try with the blade they shipped it with and with the mekur blades i have - didnt enjoy either experience and changed back to the 33c about half way through the 1st pass. Felt like alot of pulling; not substantial enough of a comb/safety bar maybe?

I have been watching ebay, almost won a set of 9 vintage gillettes with base and cap (not butterfly opening), didnt get it though - only $25 and they looked in good condition, but i was too slow.

It sounds like a gillette tech would be milder than the 33C and a EJ DE89 would be more aggressive. My shave today was pretty good, mild irritation and reduced bumps from before. With irritation i would think it would be better to try milder first, right?

I ordered some blades; all the sample packs i saw had mekur in them which i already have 20 more from a gift so i just picked out one pack of astra super platinum (green?), prosilver, feather, crystal super platinum, and derby extra. Much cheaper option to change, and who knows, maybe i wont neeed to change razors.

0 32
 02-03-2013, 10:13 AM
User Info
Two observations if I may.

First, I support the idea of a EJ DE razor. Know that the heads are all the same, just the handles are different. I think most guys would characterize them as mild razors, and I agree. They redid their head design a couple of years back (formerly it was the same as Merkur), and it is very well done. Rather than being a "starter" razor as some suggest, I think most guys would characterize the EJ DE razors as "lifetime" razors, and I agree.

Secondly, trying different blades is a "must do" IMO. Although they may not be in the sampler, don't forget to try the Gillette 7 O'Clock blades and the Polsilver Super Iridium blades (or any other blades made by Petersburg Products International, see http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/09/20...-are-made/)

15 316
 02-03-2013, 10:29 AM
User Info
Patience is the key. It may take you a couple months to get your technique down and to find the right blade for you. In the meantime, keep focusing on your technique.

5 938
 02-03-2013, 10:48 AM
User Info
I second the Gillete 7 o'clocks - especially the yellow SharpEdges.

47 1,112
 02-03-2013, 12:26 PM
User Info
Thanks - yeah, im not jumping right to a razor - just doing research but from pictures on a vendors website you cant really tell the differences. I wanted to add the gillette 7 o'clock platinums to the order but the vendor was out; i guess i could have done the green or yellow instead but didnt think about it, i'll take them on to the next order.

0 32
 02-03-2013, 12:44 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I highly recommend the Edwin Jagger razors. Highly. My first razor was a Merkur 34C, and I remember having more than a few irritated shaves. I purchased an Edwin Jagger DE86 (black handle) and noticed a remarkable improvement in my shave quality. I also think the fit and finish of the EJ DE86 is better than the Merkur 34C. The EJ is a milder razor than the 34C but still quite efficient.

I am sure other factors came into play, like improvement in my prep, better lather, better razor technique, etc. But picking up an Edwin Jagger was a great move for me.

If you decide to go with an EJ, consider posting a "Want to Buy" thread in the Selling and Trading forum. You can probably get one there at a nice price.

43 1,690
 02-03-2013, 02:04 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
If you are experiencing tugging, that is more due to the blade than the razor and you probably need to use a sharper blade. Though there is some overlap, my general rule of thumb is that you choose a razor for your skin and a blade for your beard. In my own case, I choose a gentle razor for my sensitive skin and one of the sharper blades for my coarse beard.

An EJ razor would be a little less aggressive than the Merkur. A Gillette Tech would be quite a bit gentler still.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-03-2013, 02:23 PM
User Info
FYI, I do have a spare Edwin Jagger that I would sell if you decide to go that route.

Vintage Gillettes are great too though, can't go wrong either way.

47 1,112
 02-03-2013, 02:45 PM
User Info
David,

Which one and how much would you ask for it?

William

0 32
 02-03-2013, 02:55 PM
User Info
I'll send you a PM.

47 1,112
 02-03-2013, 03:07 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I would suggest waiting for the blade samples. If your blade is not sharp enough for your beard, there is a tendency to use more pressure. This is a direct cause of irritation. With the correct blade and razor, you will not need any pressure on the razor and your irritation will disappear. If you skin and beard are average, then the suggestions for a EJ 89 or a Weber are good. If you have sensitive skin, I would go with CMur12's advice. If you have smooth skin you will have lots to choose from. If you skin is not smooth, i.e. bumps, moles, scar tissue, from personal experience, I would go with a mild open comb razor like the Merkur OC or the Gillette Old type. These are efficient and gentle razors. Good luck. Smile

16 542