02-02-2013, 09:23 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen:
All the hoopla about the Semogue 2012 Owners Club, against my better judgement, nudged me to buy the brush. A big mistake. Huge. Shaving with this bloody brush is like shaving with a porcupine. Mind you, I don't particularly care for boar brushes, period. They irritate my Hollywood face. This one killed my face. I have gone through the gamut of Omega and Semogue boar brushes and ended up selling all. They've been tried with a variety of soaps and creams, gone through long or short periods of breaking in, and so on. Still no warming up these bunches of thorns with handles. I dislike them about as much as I dislike pure badger brushes. The Semogue 2012 Owners Club, however, is the final curtain on boar brushes in my humble shave den. That's it. No more. Goodbye. Adios. I think I'll stick with my delicious silvertips.
Otherwise things are fine.

132 2,614
 02-02-2013, 09:44 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Did you softened it before the first shave with it?

Well , you always have silvertips , my friend , so enjoy them !

86 7,124
 02-02-2013, 09:45 PM
User Info
Great to hear everything is fine, Obie, other than those darn boars. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 02-02-2013, 09:50 PM
User Info
Sorry that the boars don't treat you better than that. But YMMV. At least you have brushes that you do like.

32 6,311
 02-02-2013, 09:58 PM
User Info
I actually think its the Semogue Finest badger hairs that are more prickly than the boar hairs.

31 7,914
 02-02-2013, 10:04 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
As long as you know what works for you, Obie. As each member posts his/her own unique shaving experience, one has to come to the conclusion that you only know what works for you after you try it yourself.

Though I prefer badger to boar, myself, and I have very sensitive skin, I have never found boar to be prickly, especially once it is broken in. In fact, if anything, boar - probably because the bristle actually absorbs water into itself - is even easier on my skin that silvertip, as the latter always feels a little "dry." I have also known a shaver or two who could face-lather with boar, without irritation, while they couldn't do the same with any badger brush.

I post this only as a counterpoint to illustrate how Our Mileage Does Vary, as my own shaving experience often differs from that of others, also.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-02-2013, 10:09 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
After a couple of uses my SOC Boar was soft as all get out... Once I have soaked it for 10 minutes before shaving it is among the softest of all of my brushes, even amongst the silvertips. I guess YMMV is definitely at work here.

14 870
 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM
User Info
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with boar brushes Obie, stick with the luxurious badgers for your Hollywood face. I have learned the same about myself and Simpson's best badger. It literally hurts my face. Super on the other hand, is wonderful!

63 2,128
 02-02-2013, 10:19 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I was snobbish once and only ever used best badger. Then I discovered that with the right technique and by following the right processes the tips of a broken-in bristle brush is nothing short of...how shall I put it...silky? creamy? There ought to be a law against such sensual feelings. Semogue should be banned. We can't have anyone enjoying themselves; what's the world coming to? Totally disgraceful. Bad for the character. All that corruption, blah blah...men will go soft, blah blah

0 1,625
 02-02-2013, 10:24 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(02-02-2013, 10:19 PM)Shaun Wrote: I was snobbish once and only ever used best badger. Then I discovered that with the right technique and by following the right processes the tips of a broken-in bristle brush is nothing short of...how shall I put it...silky? creamy? There ought to be a law against such sensual feelings. Semogue should be banned. We can't have anyone enjoying themselves; what's the world coming to? Totally disgraceful. Bad for the character. All that corruption, blah blah...men will go soft, blah blah

LOL, you have a way with words my friend.Biggrin

15 541
 02-02-2013, 11:34 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-02-2013, 09:58 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I actually think its the Semogue Finest badger hairs that are more prickly than the boar hairs.

I'd say this is true of my SOC 2-band, but the tips on the Special Edition are surprisingly soft.

10 1,858
 02-03-2013, 06:23 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your kind words and advice. You are all gentlemen, indeed.
Yes, of course, the brush, any type of brush, soaks in my small Moss Scuttle for about 15 minutes while I take a shower and then set up the accoutrements to use for that day, such as razor, strop, soap or cream, and so on — mine is a colorful ritual to which I look forward every morning, even when traveling.
That was the case with the Semogue Owners Club 2012. But, oy, what pain.
I think the only boar brush I have come to like, somewhat, is the Semogue 830. Through the years I have bought and sold, I think, four or five. The 620 was passable for me, too. Both have also been used for travel. The 830, especially after long break-in period, became somewhat comfortable. The 620 also. Still, I found myself winking at the silvertips.
As some of you gentlemen note, personal preference plays an important part in the colorful ritual of wet shaving. I, too, believe that. For instance, I prefer a 2.5" over a 3" strop, Thater and Rooney over Simpson and the other brands of brushes, Edwin Jagger double edge razors over Merkurs, and for a stainless steel closed comb shaver, I'll take the Weber over all the other stainless steel brands in the same category.
And so it goes. Watching my shaving ritual, the dearly beloved sometimes flashes a devilish smile and shuffles off, while I announce, "Listen, sister, this is important stuff."
For you, my dear friends, I'll keep working with this new Semogue until it blossoms, if it blossoms for me, or I may just say that life is too short and sell it.
Stay well.
Obie

132 2,614
 02-03-2013, 09:51 AM
User Info
Obie, would you like me to hand lather it for you until it becomes good? Typically I can have a boar fully broken in in a week or so. The last one took one lather to begin to break in and after 4 lathers I'm proclaiming it fully broken in. Most take much longer than one day to break in however.

32 6,311
 02-03-2013, 10:11 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(02-03-2013, 09:51 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Obie, would you like me to hand lather it for you until it becomes good? Typically I can have a boar fully broken in in a week or so. The last one took one lather to begin to break in and after 4 lathers I'm proclaiming it fully broken in. Most take much longer than one day to break in however.
Ah, bless your heart for the kind offer. Thank you. I, however, have decided to bid farewell to boar brushes, including this handsome one. After all these years of buying and then selling them — scores of different models and brands — the message is clear: that boars are just not for me. So I will put this one up for sale.
Stay well, my friend. You are a gentleman, indeed.
Obie

132 2,614
 02-03-2013, 01:38 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Out of curiosity, have you ever tried any of the mixed badger/boar knots? Just wondering if you'd like them any better...

I, too, am partial to badger over boar (I don't mind boar, I just find badger to be a more enjoyable experience most days), but I have been very happy with my Omega "mighty midget" mixed knot. If nothing else it's cheap enough to be worth a try, and at the very least makes for an inexpensive and compact travel brush, so your precious badgers can stay safely tucked in in the comfort of home Wink

10 411
 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM
User Info
I used to think I'm a badger only man, but then I got my hands on some really good boar and I must say.... Maybe I've been a snob?

That said, palm lathering some boars really pricks my palms. I don't know why.... Feels fine on my face.

9 2,988
 02-03-2013, 02:16 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(02-03-2013, 01:38 PM)Kavik79 Wrote: Out of curiosity, have you ever tried any of the mixed badger/boar knots? Just wondering if you'd like them any better...

I, too, am partial to badger over boar (I don't mind boar, I just find badger to be a more enjoyable experience most days), but I have been very happy with my Omega "mighty midget" mixed knot. If nothing else it's cheap enough to be worth a try, and at the very least makes for an inexpensive and compact travel brush, so your precious badgers can stay safely tucked in in the comfort of home Wink
Daryl:
I have wet shaved off and on for more 40 years, wandering through a maze of brushes from badger to boar, horse to synthetic. And boar and badger combined. I think I've owned just about every brand available, from Simpson to Frank. The road has led to silvertip. As for travel brushes, I've tried a variety of them, too, from Plisson to vulfix, Edwin Jagger and Simpson. My current travel brush is a Rooney Heritage super silvertip, the 1/1 I think, tucked inside the Simpson travel tube.

132 2,614
 02-03-2013, 04:52 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
No problem, wasn't looking to change your mind, just didn't see any mention of it, so I was curious is all Smile

As long as you've found what works for you, that's all that counts Cool

10 411
 02-03-2013, 06:07 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(02-03-2013, 04:52 PM)Kavik79 Wrote: No problem, wasn't looking to change your mind, just didn't see any mention of it, so I was curious is all Smile

As long as you've found what works for you, that's all that counts Cool
Many thanks for your thoughts, Daryl.
Stay well.

132 2,614
 02-03-2013, 06:11 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I find that after I have used a boar, shaking it and rubbing the tips fairly vigorously on a dry towel helps the break in; don't mash it, just brisk brush strokes while rotating around with the fingers. Works for me, anyway. And it dries the brush better, too. I am not sure if it is the wet/dry thing that splits the hairs (it probably is, in large part) or if the towelling hastens the breaking-in process, though I suspect it does help rather a lot.

I do that for about a week or two (I don't use the same boar each day), and then I am all broken in. Having said that, the 1250 Semogue was almost ready to go straight from the box. The OC took a fair bit longer.

0 1,625