02-03-2013, 06:13 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Hey all,

As the title says, I need something to put a mortal blow to my SBAD. Every morning as I pick out a brush, I feel like something is missing. I've figured out more or less that I'm definitely more of a fan of badger than boar or horse. So y'alls mission, if you choose to accept it, is to help my pick out one (hopefully last) brush, for the time being.

Here's my current lineup:
  • TSN 2012 LE mixed hair
  • TSN 2013 LE D01 Silvertip
  • WSP Super Silvertip (HMW) 23mm
  • 26mm TGN Finest
  • IB LE Boar

I really like the sizes of the first three brushes, around 23mm,and the 26mm TGN knot doesn't have much splay, so it still feels good on the face. I only face lather, but a majority of my software are soft soaps and creams, with just a couple hard soaps.

I'm looking at a budget of up to ~$200, so my options are very open. I want either a fan or hybrid knot shape, medium to high density and decent flow-through. I've been searching for days at my possibilities, and have come up with a couple ideas, but am very open to more suggestions.

Current thoughts:
  • Rooney Heritage Stubby 3-band XL, though I have no idea where I would find one
  • Chubby 1 in Super 2- or 3-band
  • WSP Chubby in 2-band
  • Bullgoose Buttercotch Beehive LE in Silvertip
  • Rooney Heritage Stubby 2-band, one of the XLs, though they are all sold out and I don't know where to get one
  • The Queen Elizabeth LE Manchurian, though Simpsons doesn't take paypal.. Plus I'm worried it might be too stiff

My biggest concern is that I want softness, nothing too scratchy, though some scrub is okay. Can anyone comment on these brushes, hopefully in comparison to what I have, or offer suggestions for other brushes.

Thanks all, I'm really eager to read some suggestions! But please, don't get too distracted from the Super Bowl Tongue

35 1,732
 02-03-2013, 06:22 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
First , there is no cure for SBAD.Period. No meditation classes , yoga ,go to a rehab clinic for over a month will cure SBAD , either cold showers , praying or going to the jungle and get lost from civilization (you will be thinking more about shaving brushes than getting food).

You are missing a Duke 3 in best badger from that list , and looking the ones you think they could fit your expectations , the WSP new Stubby could be one serious candidate , as well as the Vie Long BG silvertip.The Chubby 2 could be another great one , but I will first go for the Duke 3.

86 7,124
 02-03-2013, 06:24 PM
User Info
Custom handle with either a WSP Stubby SuperFine or a shavemac D01 2-band knot.

31 7,914
 02-03-2013, 06:40 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(02-03-2013, 06:22 PM)Teiste Wrote: First , there is no cure for SBAD.Period. No meditation classes , yoga ,go to a rehab clinic for over a month will cure SBAD , either cold showers , praying or going to the jungle and get lost from civilization (you will be thinking more about shaving brushes than getting food).

You are missing a Duke 3 in best badger from that list , and looking the ones you think they could fit your expectations , the WSP new Stubby could be one serious candidate , as well as the Vie Long BG silvertip.The Chubby 2 could be another great one , but I will first go for the Duke 3.

I had a Duke 2 in Best at one point, and didn't really like it. I found it prickly and it didn't have very good flow-through. Is the 3 really that much better?

(02-03-2013, 06:24 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Custom handle with either a WSP Stubby SuperFine or a shavemac D01 2-band knot.

A custom Superfine has been of heavy consideration too.

35 1,732
 02-03-2013, 06:41 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(02-03-2013, 06:40 PM)Tonality Wrote:
(02-03-2013, 06:22 PM)Teiste Wrote: First , there is no cure for SBAD.Period. No meditation classes , yoga ,go to a rehab clinic for over a month will cure SBAD , either cold showers , praying or going to the jungle and get lost from civilization (you will be thinking more about shaving brushes than getting food).

I had a Duke 2 in Best at one point, and didn't really like it. I found it prickly and it didn't have very good flow-through. Is the 3 really that much better?

(02-03-2013, 06:24 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Custom handle with either a WSP Stubby SuperFine or a shavemac D01 2-band knot.

I had a Duke 2 in best , and yes , the Duke 3 is much better.For me , the best Simpson brush.

86 7,124
 02-03-2013, 06:47 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(02-03-2013, 06:41 PM)Teiste Wrote:

I had a Duke 2 in best , and yes , the Duke 3 is much better.For me , the best Simpson brush.

Better than the Classic 1? I thought that was your favorite. Well okay, I will take that into consideration too.

35 1,732
 02-03-2013, 07:02 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I purchased a Beehive Silver Tip from Phil for my dad. He's extremely happy with it and it has been his favorite brush to date. He's had plenty of great brushes along the way too including a Rooney Finest and Simpsons Chubby 1. Well I've never used the brush I did handle it and it's tips our VERY soft yet still had good backbone.

45 3,955
 02-03-2013, 08:30 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I don't know what the TSN 2012 mixed hair is like, but the Semogue SOC 2012 is downright amazing, imo. Soft, but firm backbone, 24mm, feels lovely on the face, solid and comfortable in the hand.

10 1,858
 02-03-2013, 08:36 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(02-03-2013, 08:30 PM)Songwind Wrote: I don't know what the TSN 2012 mixed hair is like, but the Semogue SOC 2012 is downright amazing, imo. Soft, but firm backbone, 24mm, feels lovely on the face, solid and comfortable in the hand.

I actually just sold mine. I found it to be too prickly and large. The smaller TSN LE is much better in. my opinion.

35 1,732
 02-03-2013, 09:07 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
In that case, I suggest you get a WSP brush in 2-band super. The finest hair is an amazing combo of soft and firm. I can only imagine what the Monarch must feel like.

10 1,858
 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
I'm thinking the two band too. I have a handle if I get a smaller knot than the stubby.

35 1,732
 02-03-2013, 09:36 PM
User Info
SBAD killers don't exist.

With that said, I have paused my SBAD for a while, because I bought 75 brushes during 2012, sold maybe 35 of them, then bought some new ones in 2013 Tongue

But I dialing in on my personal brush preferences.

Brush preference is highly subjective and personal - it depsnds on your beard type, whether you use shaving creams or soaps, if you have soft, hard or regular water, whether you bowl or face lather and finally it depends on your brush technique.

I have reached a point where I'm starting to sell more of my purchased brushes than I buy new ones - so my collection is getting smaller.
A soft brush will not get tougher and firmer with usage. So if I find a brush too soft, I sell it after 2-3 shaves.
A tough hard brush needs some breaking in, even a badger brush, so with this type of brush I give it 6-8 shaves before I decide, unless the brush is so unconfortable to use, that it would kill me to do even 5 shaves with it Wink

You probably need to spend a "bit" on 10-12 brushes for testing purpose and then resell them until you find your brush sweetspot, or should I say your brush nirvana Biggrin

It took me 25-30 brushes to find the brush type I prefer.
It has been an expensive but entertaining and fun journey - and it doesn't stop any time soon.
I just happen to sell more brushes than I purchase at the moment.
That will soon stop as I'm already starting to sell Rooney's, Kent's, Thäters, Vie Long's and Shavemacs - so I'm really tuning in on my personal brush preference.

Once I find that sweetspot - I will pruchase custom made brushes made by Mark from Simpson and Bernd from Shavemac - and concentrate on these 2 brands almost solely, maybe buy the occasional brush from other OEM's once every 3-4 months.

I feel like my collection will hover around the 30-40 mark or maybe 40-50 mark once I'm all dialed in Cool

22 5,078
 02-03-2013, 10:21 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(02-03-2013, 09:36 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: You probably need to spend a "bit" on 10-12 brushes for testing purpose and then resell them until you find your brush sweetspot, or should I say your brush nirvana Biggrin

Hah! Claus you slay me, 10-12? I can swing 2-3 on my budget if I work it right.

What are you not liking about the Thaters?

35 1,732
 02-04-2013, 12:30 AM
User Info
Get the Jubilee. It's everything you're after.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

0 40
 02-04-2013, 12:54 AM
User Info
(02-03-2013, 10:21 PM)Tonality Wrote:
(02-03-2013, 09:36 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: You probably need to spend a "bit" on 10-12 brushes for testing purpose and then resell them until you find your brush sweetspot, or should I say your brush nirvana Biggrin

Hah! Claus you slay me, 10-12? I can swing 2-3 on my budget if I work it right.

What are you not liking about the Thaters?

Thäters = Too mushy and soft for my hard water and face lather preferences.....

22 5,078
 02-04-2013, 11:20 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
(02-04-2013, 12:54 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Thäters = Too mushy and soft for my hard water and face lather preferences.....

I agree. I'll take a Simpson or Rooney any day.

As for a SBAD killer, I'm beginning to think the only sure one is death. I just ordered another brush last night. And I can't even blame the gin & tonics which is the usual culprit for impulse orders.

0 204
 02-04-2013, 11:24 AM
User Info
If you truly want an SBAD killer it is easy. Take a break from shaving forums for a month or two and just shave. I did that over the summer while on vacation.

2 697
 02-04-2013, 01:02 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-04-2013, 11:24 AM)SteelTown Wrote: If you truly want an SBAD killer it is easy. Take a break from shaving forums for a month or two and just shave. I did that over the summer while on vacation.

That's a good point. At the very least it stops the parade of nifty looking gear you don't have.

10 1,858
 02-04-2013, 01:06 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(02-03-2013, 06:41 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Second that re the Duke 3, however, my Duke 2 is beautifully soft I have to say. The only softer Simpson I have is the Commodore, but that's a different kind of brush. I sometimes get the feeling that a different batch of badger hair can make all the difference; it may of course be a case of YMMV, but equally, I feel, YBMV ... They are Simpson of course, so they are each going to be a little different.

0 1,625
 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(02-04-2013, 01:02 PM)Songwind Wrote:
(02-04-2013, 11:24 AM)SteelTown Wrote: If you truly want an SBAD killer it is easy. Take a break from shaving forums for a month or two and just shave. I did that over the summer while on vacation.

That's a good point. At the very least it stops the parade of nifty looking gear you don't have.

It is a very good point. I may take that to heart actually.

35 1,732