02-05-2013, 09:17 PM
User Info
Piggy_214

This brush is typical Omega. It is just what it needs to be to get the job done, but with no frills. I actually like it because of it's perfect "Form Follows Function" design. I have no idea what the retail price is. I paid $15 for mine in the b/t section. It's definitely worth $15. It's very cleverly designed. It isn't as small in it's travel form as my Muhle silvertip fibers travel brush, but IMO, it's a brush that is more comfortable for me to use. Not as pretty as the Muhle, but it gets the job done much simpler and the design takes into account face latherers and bowl latherers. Muhle could have done this design and had a much better brush IMO, but the Muhle is a threaded design and is quite a bit smaller. Both brushes are what they are. I never thought I'd grouse about a threaded design, but the Omega is just so clever and brilliantly executed! To remove the brush from the travel tube/handle remember to always push, never pull the knot. The only time a pull is required it's a pull on the handle, and that's to put it into final travel position, as seen below.

[Image: DSC03877_zps9982af94.jpg]
Here it is in travel mode. You can see the slots molded into the tube that form the fingers of the collet. Too, you can see the amount of movement allowed by the collet on the handle of the brush. It's the space between the ring on the handle and the travel tube.

This is the largest travel brush I have (in travel form) but it's a really nice brush and that's considering the form and size. The brush is held into the travel tube by collet "fingers" that snap over retaining rings molded into the handle. In it's travel mode the brush is loosely held in place with the fingers of the collet under no stress and the brush is somewhat free to move back and forth, maybe 1/8" (3mm). In this form it's about 3 1/2" (9cm) in length. Pop the brush out of the top of the travel tube (always push- never pull the knot) and there is a nice little handle in place and ready to go for face lathering. It's a very comfortable handle, lightly stippled from the mold, not too short, not too long. It's a little slick despite the stippling, but it's not slick enough to be a deal breaker. I face lather and I'll use the brush as I just described. The loft is 45mm and is typical for the smallest of boars in my cabinet. I have no boars in my cabinet smaller than 45mm. My other Omega travel brushes, 11047 Mighty Midget and 599 silvertip, are also 45mm in loft. I have one other 45mm boar and that's a Rooney. Typically a 45mm boar will be a brush with plenty of backbone and I suspect that's the practical limit for as short as boar can be made and be useable on the face. Using only the handle connected to the knot the brush is approx' 3 1/2" tall (9cm) the same length as the stowed for travel brush.

[Image: DSC03878_zpsc49b091f.jpg]
The brush and handle next to the travel tube. The steps above each ring on the handle can clearly be seen. The upper step is to remove all slop from the travel tube and handle to allow for bowl lathering. At the left of the handle the upper step is easily seen to be a larger diameter.

For bowl lathering if one inserts the butt of the handle into the "wrong" end of the travel tube, and past the Travel position groove (1st retaining ring) and past the 2nd retaining ring on the handle the fingers of the collet molded into the travel tube grasp the handle securely for bowl lather mode. Very clever. Now you have a handle that's approx' 2 3/4" (7cm) long and a total brush height of 4 1/2" (11.5cm). It works great for bowl lathering in that configuration. I don't bowl lather normally, but I did for this review. It works fine. I wasted the lather however and didn't use it on my face.

[Image: DSC03879_zpsd5e0cfcd.jpg]
Here the handle is inserted in the travel tube past the second ring. It's firmly fixed to the travel tube (no slop) for bowl lathering in this position.

I bought the brush new and unused from mehere in the b/t section, so it required break in as all boars do. I lathered it up shortly after receiving it and clearly got some of the brown dye out of the bristles. After letting it dry I was quite surprised to see that the bristles were already beginning to split. I lathered it 2 more times that day, and one more time the next day and that concluded the break in. I deemed it suitable for the face at that point. That's the fastest boar break in that I've ever done. I wonder if the dye has some sort of treatment in it that speeds break in? It was sort of incredible.

Right now it's back in it's travel form, inside the travel tube, and waiting for me to get to it's first shave lather in a few days. To put it into the travel tube, one inserts the base of the brush handle into the wider end of the tube, gently pressing it into the tube. The handle will poke out of the colletted end of the tube. Pull the protruding handle to force the fingers of the collett over the first retaining ring. That's it. It's possible to pull it further onto the "bowl lathering ring" but IMO that would be a mistake. That would keep pressure on those plastic fingers 24/7 and there's simply no reason to do that. I suspect they can break or give out if misused in that manner. So I suggest not using the firmer hold of the 2nd retaining ring for storage/travel; only for bowl lathering.

I'll come back to this review in a few days/week, after the brush has had time to sit in the travel tube and take that "tube set". Just as though I'm using it for travel. So far though I'm impressed with this little brush. It held no surprises with hand lathering and bowl lathering and I expect none with face lathering. I regularly use small boar brushes in my standard rotation, and this appears to be simply just another small boar knot.

I'm posting this now. In the morning will be my first face lather with the brush and I'll update the review with performance.

Edit: I just had to add the Pig smilie.

32 6,309
 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Excellent review Brian. I also have one of these little jewels and it is a GREAT travel brush. Now I have mine setting in that second notch for storage so there is more distance between the tips and the end of the plastic tube. But you may be right about the weakening effect. But then I do not bowl lather with it so I only need the tube for travel protection.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts after you have used it a few times.

173 23,546
 02-06-2013, 08:49 AM
User Info
As promised, my return to the review to update it with how it performed.

I didn't think there would be any surprises from the brush and there weren't any. It works exactly the way a small boar should work. It felt great built lather wonderfully and has "pinpoint" precise control. It's a really nice brush.

I used MEM cream with it. Nice product BTW. My shave takes the form of 2 1/3 passes and I had plenty of lather, and plenty to waste. I probably could have gotten a total of 3 full passes from what the brush held, maybe more.

IMO not only would it be a great travel brush, but it could be used as an everyday brush also. I really like this brush. A lot!

For someone wanting one brush that does it all this would be a top pick IMO. The price certainly won't break the bank either.

OK, I know you're thinking, "He didn't test it with hard soaps.". Correct. The way this brush is behaving it simply won't be an issue. But I intend to use it for the next few days, a week maybe, to really see what it'll do. If there are any issues I'll bring them here. If not, this will be my last post to this thread unless anyone has questions.

32 6,309
 02-06-2013, 09:04 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Brian

Nice review of an interesting looking and very functional "travel" shaving brush Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-06-2013, 09:08 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Brian, that little brush will kill a puck of MWF. Works great with hard soaps.

173 23,546
 02-06-2013, 01:06 PM
User Info
Great to see it found a nice home and a GREAT person to do a transaction with. My pleasure anytime.

4 108
 02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
User Info
Thats funny. I ordered one of these based on missing that offer and also received mine last night.

All I did to prep is was lather it once and let it sit for a while then rinsed and let dry then used it to shave.

Performance was pretty good for being unprepped in a meaningful way. I'm going to lather it tonight/next night and use my Proraso brush for the shaves to get it good and prepped.

0 46
 02-06-2013, 08:48 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Brian!

75 20,883
 02-09-2013, 03:09 PM
User Info
Just about to order one of these when I stumbled across the review. Definitely makes me feel like I made a good choice for a travel brush. Thanks!

1 93
 02-09-2013, 04:31 PM
User Info
LB, I've been using it every day since posting the review. I've used it with great creams and not so great soaps that I'm trying to use up. It works fine for what it is (small). It IS NOT a large brush.

I don't think you made a mistake.

Please post your experience with it.

32 6,309
 02-09-2013, 05:12 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(02-09-2013, 04:31 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: LB, I've been using it every day since posting the review. I've used it with great creams and not so great soaps that I'm trying to use up. It works fine for what it is (small). It IS NOT a large brush.

Brian , interesting that it works very well with creams , and not so much with soaps.I gues that those bristles must be super soft , like the Semogue 830 once theyre fully break in.

86 7,123
 02-09-2013, 06:34 PM
User Info
I just finished a break in lather using RazoRock Mughetto di Bologna and it was producing some really fine lather.

Actually playing around with breaking this in has helped me refine my lathering for my shaves with my larger brush.

0 46
 02-09-2013, 07:00 PM
User Info
(02-09-2013, 05:12 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(02-09-2013, 04:31 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: LB, I've been using it every day since posting the review. I've used it with great creams and not so great soaps that I'm trying to use up. It works fine for what it is (small). It IS NOT a large brush.

Brian , interesting that it works very well with creams , and not so much with soaps.I gues that those bristles must be super soft , like the Semogue 830 once theyre fully break in.
Tieste,
I believe he meant that the soaps he had tried were not so great. Not the brush itself. ???

6 1,224
 02-09-2013, 08:05 PM
User Info
Sorry, yes, the brush worked fine with everything. It even worked great with the crappy soaps I'm trying to use up.

32 6,309
 02-10-2013, 02:43 AM
User Info
Downside; Yet another brush put on my wish list
Upside; It's not expensive and available from the UK

You're a bunch of enablers, you know that? Tongue

3 3,580
 02-10-2013, 01:51 PM
User Info
We do our best Hans. Biggrin Obviously we're doing pretty good!

Yes, it would be excellent for you! My only question is would the Muhle Silvertip fibers be even better for you? Do you ever put your brush away wet? Then go synthetic.

32 6,309