02-04-2013, 01:28 AM
User Info
Well, it's been a while since my last post (sorry for that), but I've since decided that I'd like to try my hand at a straight razor. Now, I know I need a strop for that, but do I need anything else? Are the straight razors with changeable blades as good? Most importantly, does anybody have a straight razor maybe they don't use anymore or would sell to a beginner (preferably with a strop)? Please let me know, everyone.

0 10
 02-04-2013, 01:43 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
If you get a shave-ready razor a strop is all you need in the beginning. Eventually you will need something to touch-up the edge, but that is a concern for later. A shave ready straight and a strop will keep you going for some time.

To me the so called shavette's aren't the same as a straight. In fact, I find them very different.

There are lots of vendors who sell (used) straight razors with strops. But if you want to go the cheap way for a used straight and a strop I would suggest looking at Whippeddog.com.

5 447
 02-04-2013, 07:36 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Robbin is right , only thing you need is a straight and strop ,only thing to do then is learn how to shave.

The best used straights I see are from Gemstar Customs. He has offers he calls " damn fine shavers'' which are geared to beginners at good prices .

Many guys on the forums and even on ebay buy a nice new straight and premium strop and then decide to sell because its not for them. I'd advertise in the BST and look for such a set , usually featuring a Dovo razor , also on ebay you can look for such sets but you are only looking for like new condition from a current makers like Art of Shaving, Dovo, Thiers Issard.

15 538
 02-04-2013, 10:47 AM
User Info
Straight razor + strop will give you many shaves.

I don't consider shavettes real straight razors.

9 2,987