02-04-2013, 05:16 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
After reading a few threads about whether PRE-shave soap works or doesn't, I threw caution to the wind and did something wild this afternoon. Exited the shower and dried everything but by face and neck. Splashed warm/hot water on my growth and rubbed a sample of Mikes Barbershop Shave soap on my growth, rubbed it in real good and rinsed. I rubbed the Mikes on again, threw the bar in the mug, whipped some lather up. NEXT, I rubbed some ARKO Citrus Shave Cream onto the growth and then put my brush to work into a thick and creamy lather. A new Astra was waiting in my CADET Open Comb. Yeeeeeowwwwzaaaaa! What a great shave. First time in 3 shaves the Cadet didn't tear me up. No nicks at all and BBS! Don't know if it was the Astra blade or the combination soap and cream or what, but it worked.

2 334
 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM
User Info
A lot of people swear by uberlathers (mixing products)...looks like you found yours.

5 938
 02-04-2013, 05:37 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Not so strange...We all have had shaves where we ask "what was it that made the difference?" so maybe you've found your recipe! Congrats if true. On a complete whim, I double lathered today with Wm. Neumann Heartwood and Valobra soaps and POW! What a lather and what a shave!

35 2,703
 02-04-2013, 06:12 PM
User Info
Congratulations! i surmise it was the combination of soaps and ot the Astra SP.

75 20,883
 02-04-2013, 07:57 PM
User Info
Thats funny. I had a sample of Mike's barbershop and I couldn't figure out what to do with it so I smashed it into the bottom of an old mug that I use once in a while. Before lathering it I ran across an old sample of QCS Queen Charlotte cream and figured, "why not?" and smeared some of that into the mug as well. The resulting lather was amazing! It smelled fantastic too.

2 43
 02-04-2013, 08:30 PM
User Info
I've found that lathers with Lanolin always tame an aggressive razor.

MWF and Mikes do the trick with my uber aggressive razors.

1 283
 02-05-2013, 06:48 AM
User Info
(02-04-2013, 08:30 PM)regularfella Wrote: I've found that lathers with Lanolin always tame an aggressive razor.

MWF and Mikes do the trick with my uber aggressive razors.

Hmm...lately two things changed:
1) I started using creams instead of Mike's lanolin-based soaps.
2) Aggressive razors that i had no trouble with started to tear me up...

There might be a killer deal coming up on bst soon... either creams or potato peelers...

6 808