02-05-2013, 12:20 AM
User Info
WTB long handle mergress. I have tried emailing Mer with no response. Lee's Razors shows the short handle version as being out of stock until January 25th which has come and gone. Anyone have a long handle for sale or know how I can get one?

0 5
 02-05-2013, 06:50 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have contacted Eric (the maker of Mergress conversion) and he responded to me. He sent me a form and instructions. This was a few months ago and I did not use his service at the time. However, he seems to be still doing this and if you are patient he will probably respond to you. As it is now I just got a long handled Mergress in trade and will try it for the first time tonight or tomorrow. I love my short handled Progress razors, so I am really looking forward to trying the long handled Mergress. If for some reason I decide to pass it on I will get back to you. It's a very nice piece of gear, I can tell you that.

25 1,705
 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM
User Info
I was debating between the long and the short handle Mergress. The other two razors that I have owned have been long handle so I figured I would like that better. I am not too patient so I guess I will have to learn how to be to get my hands on a Mergress. I have read so many great things about it and have been wet shaving for a few years. I figured it is time to buy myself a nicer razor. I am currently using a merkur 23c and it does well. I would love to hear how it goes with your new long handle Mergress.

0 5
 02-05-2013, 11:00 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-05-2013, 10:13 AM)nconsbruck Wrote: I was debating between the long and the short handle Mergress. The other two razors that I have owned have been long handle so I figured I would like that better. I am not too patient so I guess I will have to learn how to be to get my hands on a Mergress. I have read so many great things about it and have been wet shaving for a few years. I figured it is time to buy myself a nicer razor. I am currently using a merkur 23c and it does well. I would love to hear how it goes with your new long handle Mergress.

I tried many razors and Progress is my favorite so far. It is an all around great razor even without the Mergress conversion. I have two short handled ones. One a vintage gold one I got in trade and another is the modern day chrome version. Both shave the same, which is to say awesome, but the older one has nicer fit and finish. The new Progress razors are still amazing shavers and I would highly recommend one. As for long handle vs. short handle, I can't comment yet as I have not tried the LH yet. I have both a normal knob and the Mergress knob for the long handled one, but I will be testing it with the Mergress, of course. I expect to love it as I have loved my short handled ones. The head design on the Progress is outstanding and the adjustability is more useful than you first think it is. Progress adjusts steplessly, unlike Gillette adjustables and that makes a big difference. I can adjust the razor for different blades differently. More aggressive blades like Feather take a milder setting and milder blades take a more aggressive setting. Also, if my shave is not going quite well that day I dial down the aggressiveness and things stabilize. Usually I do not play with adjustment during the shave though. If you are thinking of getting a Mergress, just go ahead and buy a Progress and try it. In the meantime Eric may respond to your request or a pice will show up on BST. Depending on the results of my try out tonight I may have a short handled Progress or LH Megress for sale.

25 1,705
 02-05-2013, 06:10 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I may be set to get one from Lee's. I sent an email through their site and got a quick response. I will keep your tips in mind when I get my hands on the LH Mergress. I use feather blades and have been for awhile. I have been thinking about testing out the waters again and trying out some more sampler blades. I never thought wet shaving would really turn into a hobby for me but here it goes... Biggrin

0 5
 02-05-2013, 07:05 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-05-2013, 06:10 PM)nconsbruck Wrote: Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I may be set to get one from Lee's. I sent an email through their site and got a quick response. I will keep your tips in mind when I get my hands on the LH Mergress. I use feather blades and have been for awhile. I have been thinking about testing out the waters again and trying out some more sampler blades. I never thought wet shaving would really turn into a hobby for me but here it goes... Biggrin

I use Feathers, but rarely now. With Progress I prefer to shave with milder blades like Astras or even Dorco ST300 and dial the razor up to 3 or higher. I find that gives me a better shave than a super sharp blade with low setting. Feathers tend to cut me very easily and/or cause razor burn. I shave in the morning mostly and am sleepy, so a less sharp blade is better suited for me. I can get as good a shave as with a Feather using a less sharp blade in the Progress. Not too many razors can claim that.

25 1,705
 02-06-2013, 09:52 AM
User Info
I will definitely try some less sharp blades in the Mergress. Looking forward to entering the adjustable world Smile

0 5
 02-12-2013, 09:49 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
they are back in limited stock at the moment!

27 1,299
 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I used my Mergress LH this morning...you won't regret getting one. It's a very, very nice all-around shaving tool.

29 466
 02-13-2013, 04:44 PM
User Info
My long handle Mergress shipped today! I hope it makes it to me soon; I didn't get any sort of tracking with my order, at least not yet...Undecided

0 5
 02-13-2013, 06:15 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
After many years of using vintage Gillettes as my primary shavers (especially the NEW head - still one of the best ever), I have come to love the Progress and only "discovered" it about 9 months ago. As mentioned, this is a great shaver and I also have been surprised how often I use its adjustability when needed, although normally I go straight to a 4 or 4.5 setting.

I just sent my "backup" Progress to Eric for the Mergress (standard knob) treatment and will eventually send off my first Progress for the long knob retrofit.

Can't go wrong with the Progress!

35 2,703