02-06-2013, 06:36 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The USPS was announcing on Wednesday 2/6/2012 that they are stopping letter deliver on Saturdays but packages are not affected. However, while they will make that announcement the final decision is really up to Congress. Stay tuned.

100 12,439
 02-06-2013, 06:44 AM
User Info
I just heard this on the way to work this morning. Radio said it won't go into effect until August. While it may need approval from Congress I doubt that this is a tough decision. Cutting out Saturdays will save $2 billion for the struggling USPS.

31 7,912
 02-06-2013, 06:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Is a box of shaving goodies considered a package? I love my Saturday morning delivery of shaving goodies. To heck with the mail. It's usually junk anyway.

173 23,508
 02-06-2013, 06:59 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Packages are all I care about as well. Wonder when they'll follow suit.

35 2,703
 02-06-2013, 07:59 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(02-06-2013, 06:50 AM)Johnny Wrote: Is a box of shaving goodies considered a package? I love my Saturday morning delivery of shaving goodies. To heck with the mail. It's usually junk anyway.

The bottom line as long as you get it.

100 12,439
 02-06-2013, 08:56 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I will hate to see Saturday mail go but I would hate to see the post office totally privatized or done away with even more.

2 11,211
 02-06-2013, 09:01 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Interesting. There has been a lot of changes at the Post Office in the last few weeks. I'm not sure on all of them but I know tracking is now free and automatic with priority packages along with some other forms of mailing.

45 3,955
 02-06-2013, 09:21 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(02-06-2013, 08:56 AM)freddy Wrote: I will hate to see Saturday mail go but I would hate to see the post office totally privatized or done away with even more.

You know thats the thing. There has been an ideologically driven campaign to privatize the PO since Reagan and thats unrecognized by the public. It seems that Congress requiring the PO make upfront insurance payments, which no company in the world has to do ,is yet another effort to cripple it and make it insolvent to more easily do away with it.

Whatever the PO wants to do o , expanding commercial services, internal reforms, Congress seems to want to handcuff them for reasons that don't have to do with making it successful

15 541
 02-06-2013, 04:25 PM
User Info
I seriously do not care if I don't get a letter on Saturday. Nothing I actually "want" comes in that form anyway. Other than the monthly letter I receive from my grandma, but that only comes once a month and a weekend is not going to kill me.

9 2,988
 02-07-2013, 05:22 AM
User Info
We mostly get junk on Saturday, it won't be missed by us.

The money is in packages anyway and FedEx and UPS have been successful at doing the high margin side of deliveries, leaving the low margin letter delivery to the PO. So the low margin stuff is delivered by an organization which has burdensome pension obligations and all of those brick and mortar locations across the country - very high overhead. This is probably just the beginning of them cutting services. They need to close a number of locations that simply do not pay to have open. They just raised rates and likely will need to again. All of which makes FedEx and UPS more appealing.

6 323
 02-07-2013, 05:40 AM
User Info
(02-06-2013, 09:21 AM)Hanzo Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 08:56 AM)freddy Wrote: I will hate to see Saturday mail go but I would hate to see the post office totally privatized or done away with even more.

You know thats the thing. There has been an ideologically driven campaign to privatize the PO since Reagan and thats unrecognized by the public. It seems that Congress requiring the PO make upfront insurance payments, which no company in the world has to do ,is yet another effort to cripple it and make it insolvent to more easily do away with it.

Whatever the PO wants to do o , expanding commercial services, internal reforms, Congress seems to want to handcuff them for reasons that don't have to do with making it successful

privatization>government...simple as that.

btw, tell the government to remove the law that prohibits competition with the USPS on first class mail and make them compete like they once did. Tongue

as for Saturday mail...no sad faces here, seriously. it's almost 99% junk mail anyhow. in 2013, most humans send stuff via e-mail anyhow.

40 5,830
 02-07-2013, 08:42 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Gentlemen, mine was not a political statement but rather something that I hope not to see happen. Please, let's keep it in that vein.

2 11,211