02-06-2013, 09:02 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
All-

I am going to reknot a Simpson brush that is shedding its Best hair.

Please offer recommendations for a TGN knot that has the same characteristics as Simpsons Best. My thought is Silvertip A, but I'd like to hear from others.

47 1,378
 02-06-2013, 09:13 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
My Super Silvertip is pretty similar. TGN Super Silver is a bit softer, but not much.

10 1,858
 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-06-2013, 09:02 AM)MaxP Wrote: I am going to reknot a Simpson brush that is shedding its Best hair.

Please offer recommendations for a TGN knot that has the same characteristics as Simpsons Best. My thought is Silvertip A, but I'd like to hear from others.

Hi MaxP

I have three different badger hair grade knots from The Golden Nib (2-Band Finest, Silvertip Grade A and Super Silvertip) and wouldn't compare any of them to Simpsons Best...

I've not yet tried a Shavemac Finest Badger knot, but from what I've read, I think it might be nearer to Simpsons Best (without going direct to Simpsons and seeing if you can buy a Best knot from them) than any offering from The Golden Nib.

Shavemac: The various grades of badger hair

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-06-2013, 10:02 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Hi Mike-

I have a Shavemac Finest. In my opinion, its noticeably softer than Simpsons Best.

The only current Simpsons Best I have is a Duke 2. So, that's what I have to compare to. The Simpsons that I'll be re-knotting hasn't arrived yet. I'll do some comparison when it get to me.

I have a vintage brush that I re-knotted many months ago with a TGN STA. I'm concerned that the current TGN offerings may not be the same.

Hence, I'm soliciting opinions. Thanks for sharing your views.

MaxP

47 1,378
 02-06-2013, 02:00 PM
User Info
I think you're looking for TGN Best, as obvious as that sounds. I've come to love their 22mm short loft Best knot. It has to be the closest thing to Simpsons Best (appearance and performance) that TGN has. In my opinion the density of the TGN silvertips isn't even close to any Simpson knot. Here is an example of the TGN SL Best 22mm set about 46-47mm:

12 124
 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(02-06-2013, 02:00 PM)rts9364 Wrote: I think you're looking for TGN Best, as obvious as that sounds.

Ryan.

Thank you. And thanks of the photo. Looks a LOT like a Simpsons Best.

I emailed Tony at TGN and asked him the same question. He replied "I would get the BEST Badger or Super Badger."

When the handle arrives and I get the shedding knot removed, I'll likely order a TGN Best.

MaxP

47 1,378
 02-06-2013, 04:19 PM
User Info
Shavemac Finest is the closest to Simpson Best.

Whipped Dog Silvertip actually may be another substitute. Also Ace Shaving Silvertip is on about the same level. Haven't done head to head comparisons so can't say for sure. Maybe Teiste can do one really quickly.

9 2,988
 02-07-2013, 04:48 AM
User Info
I would have said Silvertip Grade A, funny Tony should say Best these days, when we agreed on the Grade A a couple years ago. Huh

0 652
 02-07-2013, 08:52 AM
User Info
I just set a TGN Super and another TGN Best last night. I can't recommend the Best enough. The Super (and Silvertip), while very nice, just aren't nearly as dense. I'll post a side by side bloom pic for you later tonight after I wash the Super.

12 124
 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(02-07-2013, 08:52 AM)rts9364 Wrote: I just set a TGN Super and another TGN Best last night. I can't recommend the Best enough. The Super (and Silvertip), while very nice, just aren't nearly as dense. I'll post a side by side bloom pic for you later tonight after I wash the Super.

I'm looking forward to your pic(s). I will need to order a few knots for some back burner projects and would like to get some diversity in knots.

127 2,386
 02-07-2013, 02:30 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(02-07-2013, 04:48 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: I would have said Silvertip Grade A, funny Tony should say Best these days, when we agreed on the Grade A a couple years ago. Huh

Perhaps the quality of hair in the knots has changed since then? Its quite impssible to know.

This is going to be a fun project.

MaxP

47 1,378
 02-07-2013, 03:08 PM
User Info
(02-07-2013, 02:30 PM)MaxP Wrote:
(02-07-2013, 04:48 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: I would have said Silvertip Grade A, funny Tony should say Best these days, when we agreed on the Grade A a couple years ago. Huh

Perhaps the quality of hair in the knots has changed since then? Its quite impssible to know.

MaxP

Maybe, I remember the best being really not much better than pure, but the last time I bought a knot was almost 3 years ago.

0 652
 02-07-2013, 03:09 PM
User Info
(02-07-2013, 02:30 PM)MaxP Wrote: Perhaps the quality of hair in the knots has changed since then? Its quite impssible to know.

MaxP

Tony has told me he uses many suppliers and has changed suppliers based on pricing in the past. Or that's what I remember of the conversation anyway.

9 2,988
 02-08-2013, 08:03 AM
User Info
Gentlemen, as promised, here are my newest restores side by side in TGN Super Badger (22/51) and TGN Short Loft Best Badger (22/46). I test lathered them last night and this morning side by side. The Super, while VERY nice and VERY soft, doesn't have near the backbone of the Best. (The Best is also soft, not much scritch...if any at all.) The Super is great, but I probably won't be using it for hard soaps; the same goes for my TGN Silvertip.

On to the pic. These are both post-bloom. (Super on the left in case that isn't obvious.)

12 124
 02-08-2013, 11:10 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Thank you for the pics.

The SL Best on the right does, indeed, look similar to a Simpson Best. That seems to be the correct knot type for me to order.

47 1,378
 02-08-2013, 01:26 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
MaxP Please post Pics when your restore is done...Maybe you can PM me your method? I have a beautiful Marvy Lucite handle, but the thought of reknotting terrifies me for some reason...

Ryan that Red Handles Brush looks amazing! I think I would LOVE that knot and handle style.

68 1,416
 02-09-2013, 08:17 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
In my humble opinion, the best value TGN offers is in two band finest. I have used their 16mm bulb, 18mm bulb, 20mm XH bulb and fan and 22mm fan. The best brushes came out of that. I would say a good handle set with a TGN two band finest properly will rival many a Simpson in performance and feel. I would definitely consider replacing the knot in the Simpson handle with a TGN two band finest. I have also used a TGN silvertip and while it's a good product, the brush it made would just not be to my liking. I made a brush for a fellow member and he is very happy with it, but to me the TGN slivertip is lacking backbone. Keep in mind, I am a boar fan, so two band finest kind of combines the best of both worlds boar and badger. Stron backbone and tip softness that rivals Simpson Best badger. I find myself reaching for the TGN two band brushes I have over the Simpson best brushes I have or have had (Berkeley, Commodore X1B, Case, Wee Scot, all excellent and lovely brushes, of which I still own the last two).

Here are some pictures of my TGN two band brushes.

20mm XH Bulb set into WD resin handle at 22/49
[Image: attachment.php?aid=10781] [Image: attachment.php?aid=10831]

16mm bulb set into my home-made exotic wood handle I made at 18/45

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5074]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5249]

20mm XH fan set into an Ever-Ready 650PB handle at 22/47

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1254]

20mm XH bulb and 20mm XH fan next to each other

22mm TGN silvertip set at 24/50 and 20mm XH bulb set 22/45

20mm XH bulb set into an Opal handle at 24/50

22mm XH fan set into an Erskin handle at 25/52

25 1,705
 02-09-2013, 10:08 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
@vferdman. Excellent Post! Thanks. Pictures are always appreciated.

I, too, greatly enjoy the TGN Finest knots. I have six of them in my window sill and two more in the drawer to be done.

In this case, its a Duke 2 Best that I'll be reknotting for someone else. Hence, the reason to try to mimic the Best hair. Thst's what the owner has asked for.

If it were mine, a Finest would be my choice.

At the moment, I think I'll be ordering a TGN Best short loft as it looks to be quite close to Simpsons Best.

MaxP

47 1,378
 02-09-2013, 02:39 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-09-2013, 10:08 AM)MaxP Wrote: @vferdman. Excellent Post! Thanks. Pictures are always appreciated.

I, too, greatly enjoy the TGN Finest knots. I have six of them in my window sill and two more in the drawer to be done.

In this case, its a Duke 2 Best that I'll be reknotting for someone else. Hence, the reason to try to mimic the Best hair. Thst's what the owner has asked for.

At the moment, I think I'll be ordering a TGN Best short loft as it looks to be quite close to Simpsons Best.

MaxP

MaxP, I understand. I think Simpson's best grade is one of the best "best" grades out there. I think it would be difficult to re-create Duke 2 as it's a very dense brush. I think most of Simpson's "magic" lies in the density. Even my Case (in best) is very dense. I imagine Duke as a higher end product is more dense yet. I really don't think TGN best will compare favorably to the original knot. But if you are going for the look, it will probably be fine. If it was mine I would definitely do two band in there and call it Duke 2 Manchurian two band (bespoke Simpson). I think that would make an amazing "stubby" style brush. Do let us know what you finally decide and how it works out.

25 1,705
 02-10-2013, 03:28 AM
User Info
(02-09-2013, 02:39 PM)vferdman Wrote:
(02-09-2013, 10:08 AM)MaxP Wrote: @vferdman. Excellent Post! Thanks. Pictures are always appreciated.

MaxP

MaxP, I understand. I think Simpson's best grade is one of the best "best" grades out there. I think it would be difficult to re-create Duke 2 as it's a very dense brush. I think most of Simpson's "magic" lies in the density. Even my Case (in best) is very dense. I imagine Duke as a higher end product is more dense yet. I really don't think TGN best will compare favorably to the original knot. But if you are going for the look, it will probably be fine. If it was mine I would definitely do two band in there and call it Duke 2 Manchurian two band (bespoke Simpson). I think that would make an amazing "stubby" style brush. Do let us know what you finally decide and how it works out.

TGN's are dense, sometimes denser than Simpsons, I have an 18mm Grade A that's denser than my Duke 2.....

0 652