02-06-2013, 10:06 AM
User Info
When I wake up in the morning and the thermometer is hovering above zero I know that there's a lot less moisture in the air and my skin knows it too. It becomes rougher, dryer and seems to hold onto those whiskers a little more resiliently. So I've adapted my shaving routine to still get those great shaves in the winter months.

Prep! Prep! Prep! Even though good preparation is important year round, it becomes more essential in the dry winter months. Most of the time I'm lathering up right out of the shower in the morning, or if I've showered the evening before at the gym, I'll go the hot towel soak over some glycerin soap lather for 3-4 minutes to hydrate my skin.

Along the same line, if I'm planning on face lathering a shave cream, I'll half-lather it and let it sit for a few minutes while I brush my teeth.

When it comes to soaps or shave sticks, which for me are almost exclusively face lathered, I'll more deliberately build the lather and find that I'm dipping my brush tips into the sink water one or two more times. I'm not sure if I'm too casual making lather in the humid summer air of if the lather actually requires more water during winter months.

Use a good winter cream or soap. There are some creams and soaps that seem to leave my skin feeling moisturized when I'm done shaving. Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabac, Cella in the red tub,, Palmolive sticks, Klar Kabinett C.O. Bigelow and Old Spice cream all leave my face feeling moisturized. For exceptional moisturizing qualities I like Mike's Natural and Mystic Waters shave soaps.

Finally thanks to Celestino, I've become a big fan of using unrefined shea butter as an aftershave balm. shea butter is an active ingredient in many moisturizing products, has a light nutty scent that doesn't interfere with the scent of my aftershave splash. Unrefined Shea Butter has excellent moisturizing qualities and leaves my face buttery soft. In fact my wife now uses it as a moisturizer for her face.

What do you do differently for your shave in winter months?

3 452
 02-06-2013, 10:48 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I use balm along with my splashes sometimes in winter. I typically don't use them in the summer.

45 3,955
 02-06-2013, 10:59 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I never really do anything different. I rarely shave after a shower and my only prep is a scrub with glyce lime oil soap, after which I leave the residue on my face for a few moments while I load my brush and then build lather over it. I have oily skin though, that may help with my lack of additional prep needs, I actually have a slightly better post shave feeling in the colder months.

31 1,510
 02-06-2013, 11:44 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I don't do much different. I use balms a bit more often, and I use my scuttle more.

10 1,858
 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM
User Info
I shave exactly the same way every day year round. My only variance is I tend to use heavier scents (Trumper's sandalwood, Spanish Leather, Creed Bois du Portugal) in the cooler months.

0 500
 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM
User Info
Besides using a balm sometimes, I don't do anything differently.

0 433
 02-13-2013, 01:56 PM
User Info
When I have the time and the boiling water I do the hot towel face prep. Otherwise it's exactly the same as a warm/hot weather shave. Whoops. Not precisely correct. Post shave in the hot weather sees much more use (normally) of menthol AS and citrus and menthol lather.

32 6,308
 02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I do nothing different.

173 23,486
 02-13-2013, 06:46 PM
User Info
My shaves stay the same, but here in Florida we don't have seasons just humid and more humid.Angry

0 372
 02-14-2013, 05:27 PM
User Info
On cold days I use aftershave balm instead of liquid aftershave. I say on cold days because we have mild winters where I live for the most part.

Those of you that endured that northeastern blizzard last week need to let your winter coat grow.

0 282
 02-14-2013, 07:03 PM
User Info
Basically the same here, too, except a propensity for menthol and citrus in the warmer months and needing to add a touch more water to my lather in the colder, drier months.

47 1,270
 02-14-2013, 07:35 PM
User Info
Summers are pretty much cold shaves with EdT... . Winters are more warm prep., scuttles and balm. The rest has little to do with the weather.

2 546
 02-15-2013, 12:31 AM
User Info
I also shave nearly exactly the same in the winter as in the summer months.

The only difference is (as it has been posted before) that i use more montholised products in the summer.Sometimes in the winter too,but here i use more "warm" scents like Tabac or so...And shave soaps or cremas thats moisture very well and with Lanolin in it.

I shave after showering.Sometimes i do a hot towel prep.It´s very nice too,but i prefer the shave after showering.

0 271
 02-16-2013, 02:09 PM
User Info
Nothing different when I use soap--face lather. I have been using KMF cream quite a bit and since we keep the heat at 60 overnight the cream is cold in the morning, so I've taken to starting the lather in the mug that I soak the brush in to avoid cold face lathering..

0 140
 02-16-2013, 02:15 PM
User Info
I often do the hot towel prep in the depths of winter... A luxury I could get used to when it's freezing outside!

0 319
 02-16-2013, 02:17 PM
User Info
I shave wearing a polyester vest. It's cold in the morning. Angry

9 2,988
 02-23-2013, 04:52 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I might use a scuttle when it's really cold, not as much cold water shaving going on, the rest remains the same.

27 1,294
 02-23-2013, 08:54 AM
  • Tato
  • Northeast Tennessee
User Info
I heat up the scuttle more often in the winter months. Also, I use more balms and tend to use heavier aftershave scents.
However, I will use floral and citrus scents as I am looking forward to Spring!

0 273
 02-27-2013, 08:06 PM
User Info
In the winter month I like to warm up the soap a little before lathering. I do not recommend to put the badger brush in extremely hot water.
During the summer month I like to add some extra menthol into the after shave.

0 14
 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM
User Info
(02-16-2013, 02:17 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I shave wearing a polyester vest. It's cold in the morning. Angry

In Arizona. 24

2 546