02-06-2013, 03:32 PM
User Info
Well... an acute case of AD has reared it's ugly head and the thirty day rule went out the window.

I'm a little over two months into DE shaving and my den is growing by leaps and bounds. I have acquired ten razors (four vintage and six new), three brushes and three different shaving creams. I think my collection is weighted a little heavy on the hardware side because I have been a knife collector for several years and I'm drawn to shiny metal objects.

I'm very satisfied with my shaving cream selections (T&H, EJ, Proraso) and I will continue to pick up any razor that strikes my fancy, but for some reason the brush thing is a bit of a mystery.

I have three different EJ brushes (pure, best, super) and have been experimenting with different combos for both face and bowl lathering. I think that I'm starting to favor face lathering because it's one less thing to mess with.

My question is this. I would like to add a few more reasonably priced brushes to my collection that would favor face lathering, but be good for bowl lathering as well. All I have are badger brushes and I would like some variety. I'd like to try three completely different selections and I prefer acrylic or other non-wood handles. What three would you suggest?

Also, I would like to thank all the members of this forum for the great advice and encouragement. I'm having a LOT of fun and getting GREAT shaves!

Jeff

0 205
 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM
User Info
Vie-Long has some great brushes that are badger & horse hair mixes (check Bullgoose or GiftsandCare). Also, Vie-Long IMHO has the nicest handles!

Suggest you also consider looking at some shaving soaps, as its a good area to expand your den once you have your new brushes! Smile

Some of my favorites:

Mike's Natural Soaps
Mystic Water
Razorock
Stirling Soap

47 1,112
 02-06-2013, 05:09 PM
User Info
Thanks David!

Jeff

0 205
 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM
User Info
Hi jdsl, one of the best I've found for bowl and face lathering is the Kent BK4. Also works equally well with creams or soaps.

0 500
 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM
User Info
OK, you want different.

You favor face lathering and plastic handles.

Boar brushes are different. Semogue 610 and 620 are both boars and different from your badgers and different from each other.

Definitely different (and smaller) is an Omega boar. I'm currently testing a 50014 Travel brush that can easily be an everyday brush at home. It's small and capable of pinpoint precision. Check out the review of it in the brush section.

Be advised, boars require a break in, but once broken in are quite good.

In synthetic brushes there are the Muhle Silvertip fibers and black fibers brushes. The Golden Nib (TGN) has 20, 22, and 24mm synthetics that are quite good, incredibly soft, yet with great backbone. They also have handles for the knots for you to assemble your own, or pay TGN to assemble the brush for you ($10 fee). The syn' brushes are made to look like badger hair, but they have characteristics distinctly their own. They are quite good.

32 6,309
 02-07-2013, 12:50 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
A Semogue Owners Club in 2 Band is an awesome brush for both in my opinion.

45 3,955
 02-07-2013, 05:31 AM
User Info
Thanks for the info gentleman!

Jeff

0 205
 02-12-2013, 03:44 PM
User Info
I decided to try a Semogue 830 and an Omega 11047. Both should be here this week. I ordered some Cella too.

Jeff

0 205
 02-12-2013, 11:12 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Jeff, Cella is a soap that works especially well with boar brushes, in my opinion. The Semogue 830 is my favorite boar brush, once it is properly broken in.

I think you made some great choices.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-14-2013, 02:34 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I would recommend the Muhle Silvertip Fiber brush, 23 or 25mm. Great brush for bowl or face lathering.

16 545
 02-14-2013, 02:49 PM
User Info
The 830 was great right out of the box. It'll probably be a Superstar once broken in.

Jeff

0 205
 02-14-2013, 05:08 PM
User Info
Polo 8 in 2 Band will serve well for bowl and face lathering.... Not a budget choice though Cool

31 1,554
 02-18-2013, 07:08 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
There are rules to this sport? No one ever told me there were any rules! I thought the only rule was... that there are no rules. Guidelines... they're something else. I know about them, but they're meant to be a loose fit. The only ones I follow today are to have fun with it, to the extent my time and budget will allow. Smile (Lol), Did I miss something? Smile

17 290
 02-18-2013, 03:57 PM
User Info
My thoughts exactly, and I'm having a LOT of fun with all this stuff! Smile

Jeff

0 205