02-07-2013, 07:36 AM
User Info
Any physical shop to recommend? I am also looking to purchase Heinrich Thater Brush, any idea which shops sells them and also if they are cheaper than online sites?

I will be going to Paris, Prague, amsterdam, London, Florence, Pisa.

Biggrin

0 37
 02-07-2013, 07:44 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
If you're going to Paris you're pretty much obligated to get some MdC.

10 1,858
 02-07-2013, 07:47 AM
User Info
where can I get them?

0 37
 02-07-2013, 08:50 AM
User Info
I have a similar question, but not as many destinations. I'll be in Amsterdam then Paris and would also like some ideas on places to check out.

0 46
 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM
User Info
Paris: Planète Rasoir (58 Rue de Clichy, 75009 Paris, France). They do have Martin de Candre. No Thäters there, but they have piles of lovely Plissons Heart

I have visited Prague recently, and the offer there is very poor. However, you can find some inexpensive boars at the Rössmann drugstores, along with everyday creams, like Nivea.
Be sure to go to a Manufaktura shop and grab the beer-based Manufaktura Aftershave Balm. It's awesome, inexpensive, contains lanolin - and it's beer based, cannot go wrong with it! Cheers

Be sure to enjoy some traditional artisan beers in Prague, they have the best beers in the world!Cheers

Never went to Amsterdam, Florence or Pisa, so I cannot help with those.

However, I went to London.
London is a treat when it comes to wetshaving material. Be sure to visit the St. James street and Jermyn Street area.

Take the underground and go to the Piccadilly Circus station.
From there, it is a short walk to the Jermyn st. The first interesting shop to visit is Geo F. Trumper at the Duke of York St., at your left.
Very near, a little bit ahead going down Jermyn St., you'll have Czech & Speake, Floris, Taylor of Old Bond Street - all very close to each other.

At the end of the Jermyn St., you'll find St. James Street. Turn left and you'll find D. R. Harris and Truefitt & Hill, within a short walk.

Don't forget to go to Burlington Arcade, you'll find Penhaligons. Santa Maria Novella is also very near, on Piccadilly Arcade, in the same place that used to be Maitland's Pharmacy. At the Piccadilly Arcade, there's also a barbershop ("Carlo Anchini") that sells Proraso products.

And at Fortnum & Mason, you can find several goodies, like Castle Forbes, on the second floor.

And another short walk can take you to the Geo F. Trumper main shop, at Curzon St, but that can be pointless if you have already visited their shop at the Duke of York St..

Drugstores and supermarkets in London:

Savers - chain of drugstores - they carry Erasmic and Erasmic Supreme stuff.
Superdrug - another chain of drugstores - they carry Dorco ST-301 blades, under their own brand, along with Ingram cream (awesome) and Bulldog line of AS and moisturisers.
Boots - lots of stuff, specially in the bigger stores (like the one in Oxford St. or Piccadillly Circus). Boots shaving soap and stick, Real Shaving Company creams and balms, T&H Authentic No. 10 line of products, etc)
Savers, Tesco, Asda & Wilkinsons supermarkets - Palmolive sticks - great tallow-based soap with a fresh clean scent - most carry also the Real Shaving Company stuff.

Here's some photos I took when I went to London: http://www.barbearclassico.com/index.php?topic=1582.0

2 5,532
 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
  • bzhgeek
  • On acquisition diet. O RLY ?
  • Near Plisson's HQ in France
User Info
(02-07-2013, 08:51 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Paris: Planète Rasoir (58 Rue de Clichy, 75009 Paris, France). They do have Martin de Candre. No Thäters there, but they have piles of lovely Plissons Heart

Yes, this shop is known to be one of the big players in Paris but they are also said to be very expensive (I have not visited it but I have seen so many reviews here in France saying so). They used to sell MdC at the same price as on the MdC website but have upped it a bit lately. Anyway this should still be interesting to avoid the outrageous shipping cost. And the shop is said to be a true pleasure to visit. Eye candy for sure.

1 66
 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-07-2013, 08:51 AM)oversaturn Wrote: At the end of the Jermyn St., you'll find St. James Street. Turn left and you'll find D. R. Harris and Truefitt & Hill, within a short walk.

Here's some photos I took when I went to London: http://www.barbearclassico.com/index.php?topic=1582.0

Hi Emmanuel

All excellent information, and all those places mentioned in London are within easy walking distance of each other...

Just a heads-up on DR Harris in St James Street, if visiting after September 2013 the shop will be closed while going through major refurbishment and "slight" expansion in shop size (work might take up to 18 months to complete). While closed DR Harris can be visited at their new "secondary" shop location, 52 Piccadilly (opened at the end of 2012), plus they are setting up a temporary shop in King Street...

Some nice photos there, but the one of Tower Bridge and the one of St Paul's at night taken from the South Bank are really! good Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

(02-07-2013, 09:13 AM)bzhgeek Wrote: Yes, this shop is known to be one of the big players in Paris but they are also said to be very expensive...

Hi

Shock! horror! Paris very expensive?!? Wink Tongue Wink

The area in London where those fine gentleman shops are located will be no different, very! expensive and exclusive part of London.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM
User Info
thanks guys, really appreciate it. I will check out those places Biggrin

0 37
 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I just love to read all this. You guys are a wealth of information. Plisson shave brushes in Paris that is obvious.
Shave creams in the UK. Beer in Prague. WOW

100 12,445
 02-07-2013, 05:10 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Please take the SHAVE NOOK Platinum card and pick us up a few things......Plisson,Joris,CZECH @ SPEAKE.MDC....etc....feel free to bring a nice "gift basket" for each member and we truly thank you for your effort.....have a great trip!!!!SmileSmileSmile

6 1,913
 02-13-2013, 06:02 AM
User Info
haha if only there is such card Tongue Thanks!

0 37
 02-13-2013, 11:01 AM
  • Amzimbo
  • Smooth as a fresh shaven diplomat
  • New Jersey and Mozambique
User Info
This! Overturn has said it all. E muito bem dito, tambem!

Isn't SMN from Florence? Their shop is supposed to be way cool.

(02-07-2013, 08:51 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Paris: Planète Rasoir (58 Rue de Clichy, 75009 Paris, France). They do have Martin de Candre. No Thäters there, but they have piles of lovely Plissons Heart

I have visited Prague recently, and the offer there is very poor. However, you can find some inexpensive boars at the Rössmann drugstores, along with everyday creams, like Nivea.
Be sure to go to a Manufaktura shop and grab the beer-based Manufaktura Aftershave Balm. It's awesome, inexpensive, contains lanolin - and it's beer based, cannot go wrong with it! Cheers

Be sure to enjoy some traditional artisan beers in Prague, they have the best beers in the world!Cheers

Never went to Amsterdam, Florence or Pisa, so I cannot help with those.

However, I went to London.
London is a treat when it comes to wetshaving material. Be sure to visit the St. James street and Jermyn Street area.

Take the underground and go to the Piccadilly Circus station.
From there, it is a short walk to the Jermyn st. The first interesting shop to visit is Geo F. Trumper at the Duke of York St., at your left.
Very near, a little bit ahead going down Jermyn St., you'll have Czech & Speake, Floris, Taylor of Old Bond Street - all very close to each other.

At the end of the Jermyn St., you'll find St. James Street. Turn left and you'll find D. R. Harris and Truefitt & Hill, within a short walk.

Don't forget to go to Burlington Arcade, you'll find Penhaligons. Santa Maria Novella is also very near, on Piccadilly Arcade, in the same place that used to be Maitland's Pharmacy. At the Piccadilly Arcade, there's also a barbershop ("Carlo Anchini") that sells Proraso products.

And at Fortnum & Mason, you can find several goodies, like Castle Forbes, on the second floor.

And another short walk can take you to the Geo F. Trumper main shop, at Curzon St, but that can be pointless if you have already visited their shop at the Duke of York St..

Drugstores and supermarkets in London:

Savers - chain of drugstores - they carry Erasmic and Erasmic Supreme stuff.
Superdrug - another chain of drugstores - they carry Dorco ST-301 blades, under their own brand, along with Ingram cream (awesome) and Bulldog line of AS and moisturisers.
Boots - lots of stuff, specially in the bigger stores (like the one in Oxford St. or Piccadillly Circus). Boots shaving soap and stick, Real Shaving Company creams and balms, T&H Authentic No. 10 line of products, etc)
Savers, Tesco, Asda & Wilkinsons supermarkets - Palmolive sticks - great tallow-based soap with a fresh clean scent - most carry also the Real Shaving Company stuff.

5 83