02-07-2013, 04:04 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Picked up a sweet, clean Schick. I believe it's an I2

Any do's or don'ts to share regarding maintaining it? The finish is perfect and I figure I should avoid Barbasol.. How about scrubbing bubbles? True that I should leave a blade in it even between rotations? Does the curved spring need to be slid over for loading? I would think not, but there is the slightest hint of an arc in the finish on the head..

Suggestions are welcome.

Sent from East of Montauk

33 914
 02-07-2013, 08:28 PM
User Info
(02-07-2013, 04:04 PM)MikekiM Wrote: Picked up a sweet, clean Schick. I believe it's an I2

Any do's or don'ts to share regarding maintaining it? The finish is perfect and I figure I should avoid Barbasol.. How about scrubbing bubbles? True that I should leave a blade in it even between rotations? Does the curved spring need to be slid over for loading? I would think not, but there is the slightest hint of an arc in the finish on the head..

Suggestions are welcome.

I soaked mine in hot water and Dawn Dish Soap over night,then scrubbed with a soft toothbrush.Might be ok to be more intense,but I felt this was appropriate for this razor.

I leave my blade in until it's time for a change.

The old advertisements for the I2 suggest flipping the lever between shaves to let everything dry,but with modern coated stainless steel blades I don't worry about it and figure the less I flip it the better.

I add my new blades with the lever in the closed locked position.

Please let us know how it shaves,I really like mine a lot.

7 414
 02-08-2013, 03:27 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Marc.. I did some research last night.. not I2... I totally blew that ID.

It's looking more like a G3 - G8 based on the head shape, but it has a pearl white handle with the long ribs and curved end, which doesn't seem to clearly match up with date codes.

It doesn't need anything more than a disinfecting.. it's super clean.

And upon further examination, while it looks like the spring has, at some point been moved at least once, it keyed to the bottom of the blade bed plate and doesn't appear to be movable.

After looking closely at the other pics in the Schick Wiki.. It's a G1..(pic borrowed from the wiki)
[Image: 3.jpg]

But mine is FAR cleaner than this one. Has the box and a travel case as well.

But the same quarter arc scratch that can seen on the left underside of the head, where the serial number is, is what I see on mine.

I'll post pics of it later.. Going to use it this morning.

33 914
 02-08-2013, 06:01 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Hmmm.... The first shave is a disappointment. Keeping in mind my frame of reference is a PAL adjustable set at 3, using the same blades.

The shave was reminiscent of an ABC pocket, or early Gen I iKon. Think Gillette Old.

Three passes were like I did only one with the PAL. I cleaned up with the PAL. Could be a difference of head angle, but I am thinking not so likely.

33 914
 02-08-2013, 01:55 PM
User Info
(02-08-2013, 06:01 AM)MikekiM Wrote: Hmmm.... The first shave is a disappointment. Keeping in mind my frame of reference is a PAL adjustable set at 3, using the same blades.

The shave was reminiscent of an ABC pocket, or early Gen I iKon. Think Gillette Old.

Three passes were like I did only one with the PAL. I cleaned up with the PAL. Could be a difference of head angle, but I am thinking not so likely.

Don't mess with the spring whatever you do, I've trashed 2 or 3 of them now, once it gets the slightest bit unsettled, you'll never get it back in the right position.

I get a perfectly acceptable 2 pass shave from mine using the Chinese Schick blades.

0 652
 02-08-2013, 04:14 PM
User Info
Mike, good luck with it. i have never had any luck with any injectors. i could not get on with the blades.

75 20,883
 02-15-2013, 06:50 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
It looks like the spring may have been move at some point, given the circular scar on the head. And that might be the reason it shaves so horribly.

Fresh blade, same blade in the PAL and while the PAL is a great shave, the Schick feels like a Gillette Old head or the ABC travel my dad gave me. Almost feels misaligned.

Hate to think I bought a razor that has been molested.

I'll have to find another for comparison.

The PAL has given me week of superb shaves. I am sort of bummed out...

33 914
 02-15-2013, 07:02 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Yes that is a G1 and yes the spring should never be moved. I have several G1's and they all provide excellent two pass shaves. Far better than the PAL injector that I have.

Scrubbing Bubbles work great if the razor gets really dirty and you do not need to remove the blade between shaving stents.

173 23,546
 02-16-2013, 08:23 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Well..

Fortunately, this specimen doesn't need any cleaning. I gave it an alcohol bath, a fresh blade and went right to it.

[Image: p1434472098-5.jpg]

[Image: p1434472048-5.jpg]

Having said this, the less fortunate is that your comments, and the scar in the head that would match the swing arc of the spring, I am going to say someone frag'd with it at some point.

[Image: p1434471956-5.jpg]

Since both of you gents are getting acceptable two-pass shaves with similar razors, I am sorely disappointed in what I have. I do two passes and it's as though I did none. Lots of tugging and pulling as well. A single clean-up pass with the PAL set at 2 removes everything the Schick missed.

Maybe one of you fine gentlemen would consider lending me one of your Schick SE's for a few shaves, as a means of trouble shooting mine.

33 914
 02-17-2013, 03:53 AM
User Info
Mike, does it rattle when you shake it at all? Hows the blade gap look, is it even over the base bar?

Mine has the same tell-tale scar, but its solid as a rock and lines up.

The ones I had to toss, would chatter when you shaked them, no matter how hard I tried to fix them, they were toast.

0 652
 02-17-2013, 08:42 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
As it turns out, I must have run the blade in off angle and chewed up the edge. I replaced the blade and today's shave was far better. No rattles at all and all lines up as expected.

Research tells me the scar is a result of the assembly process.

33 914
 02-17-2013, 11:11 PM
User Info
(02-17-2013, 08:42 PM)MikekiM Wrote: As it turns out, I must have run the blade in off angle and chewed up the edge. I replaced the blade and today's shave was far better. No rattles at all and all lines up as expected.

Research tells me the scar is a result of the assembly process.

That's good to hear, I'm sure once you figure out the angle and pressure difference with such a light handle, you'll be getting nice 2 pass shaves as well.

0 652
 02-18-2013, 04:56 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I have been thinking about putting the slightest bend in the head, just above the handle.. The angle is a bit uncomfortable..

I do need more blades. Going to stay with a know entity and reorder the Schick blades as well as some Feather Pros to trim down to fit.

33 914
 02-18-2013, 06:54 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-18-2013, 04:56 AM)MikekiM Wrote: I have been thinking about putting the slightest bend in the head, just above the handle.. The angle is a bit uncomfortable..

I do need more blades. Going to stay with a know entity and reorder the Schick blades as well as some Feather Pros to trim down to fit.

I would not attempt to bend the head, just bend the wrist, and I would not attempt to cut down Feather blades. I would stick with Schick Injector blades and in case you have not seen this, follow these directions.

173 23,546
 02-18-2013, 08:04 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Thanks Johnny.. I had not seen the instructions.

While I said the head, it was the wrist I was intending to bend.. Directly above the trim ring at the handle. Any place higher would surely knock things out of alignment.

33 914
 02-20-2013, 12:52 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-18-2013, 08:04 AM)MikekiM Wrote: Thanks Johnny.. I had not seen the instructions.

While I said the head, it was the wrist I was intending to bend.. Directly above the trim ring at the handle. Any place higher would surely knock things out of alignment.

I think Johnny meant your wrist.

I just picked up an Injector from B&B and am excited to use it when it gets here.

10 1,858
 02-20-2013, 04:42 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
ROFL....and that would make perfect sense!

That's too funny...

33 914