02-08-2013, 07:48 AM
User Info
I know I'm a newbie here, so I hope this doesn't sound like I'm whining, but I'm just throwing out some thoughts that could maybe be used as an improvement if anybody agrees.

To me, all of the threads asking: "What _____ did you use today?" are kind of tedious and for the most part already covered in the "shave of the day" threads. It bumps more interesting posts from the top of the forum (I especially notice in the "recent posts" on the front page), and it also makes the search less useful. If I do a search on a specific product I get a bunch of posts that just list the product an individual used on a certain day instead of more useful posts.

Would it be worth having a "what ______ did you/will you use today/tomorrow?" subforum that is separate from the subject-specific forums similar to the "shave of the day" forum? This wouldn't solve the search issue, but it would keep those threads from constantly bumping more useful posts.

I know this is a minor thing and maybe others really like those threads considering their popularity, so take my suggestion for what it's worth.

8 115
 02-08-2013, 09:00 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Norm, I too think it is redundant and that the SOTD covers all of that quite nicely.

2 11,211
 02-08-2013, 09:07 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
From the view and post count in all of those "what did you" threads, I would say the majority would disagree. And I must admit, I am one of the majority.

173 23,546
 02-08-2013, 09:12 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I like posting in both places.

1 3,507
 02-08-2013, 09:30 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-08-2013, 09:00 AM)freddy Wrote: Norm, I too think it is redundant and that the SOTD covers all of that quite nicely.

+1 Far too much background noise that adds nothing to the site (IMHO).

But as others have already said, there are those that enjoy those threads, just not for me...

Just throwing out an idea, would creating a new forum or sub-forum to collate those threads in one central place make more sense? People who enjoy those threads have them in a single location, and people who don't are able to ignore that one (sub)forum.

Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
User Info
I mainly post in those today/tomorrow threads just because "everyone else" is doing it - so maybe someone is interested and wants to see the information. But to me it also seems redundant and a waste of forum space, and I'd just as soon see it disappear.

184 12,003
 02-08-2013, 09:34 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-08-2013, 07:48 AM)norm Wrote: Would it be worth having a "what ______ did you/will you use today/tomorrow?" subforum that is separate from the subject-specific forums similar to the "shave of the day" forum? This wouldn't solve the search issue, but it would keep those threads from constantly bumping more useful posts.

Oops! my bad I should have read your complete post before making my suggestion Blush

+1 I personally think your idea is a very! good one, and keeps everyone happy, regardless if they like or dislike those threads...

Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 02-08-2013, 09:35 AM
User Info
SOTD threads are kind of fun to check out sometimes. Threads for individual items, particularly when there are parallel threads (what did you use/what will you use), not so much.

When I get on the forum, I go straight to the "View New Posts" link so even if they're in a subforum, I'd still see them, but that's my problem to deal with.

0 836
 02-08-2013, 09:37 AM
User Info
(02-08-2013, 09:30 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Just throwing out an idea, would creating a new forum or sub-forum to collate those threads in one central place make more sense? People who enjoy those threads have them in a single location, and people who don't are able to ignore that one (sub)forum.

That's really what I was trying to suggest in my original post. While I don't care for those threads, there's no need to shut down something that many users enjoy, but maybe it could be consolidated into one place?

*Edit: nevermind. I see you posted above me that you saw where I had suggested this Smile

8 115
 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-08-2013, 07:48 AM)norm Wrote: To me, all of the threads asking: "What _____ did you use today?" are kind of tedious and for the most part already covered in the "shave of the day" threads.

I tend to agree with this statement. The Mods and I will discuss it.

45 16,352
 02-08-2013, 02:14 PM
User Info
(02-08-2013, 07:48 AM)norm Wrote: Would it be worth having a "what ______ did you/will you use today/tomorrow?" subforum that is separate from the subject-specific forums similar to the "shave of the day" forum? This wouldn't solve the search issue, but it would keep those threads from constantly bumping more useful posts.

I know this is a minor thing and maybe others really like those threads considering their popularity, so take my suggestion for what it's worth.

I agree, Norm. I've been thinking about this for a while now. I even asked Andrew if there was a feature to ignore a thread. As you mention, it's especially noticable on searches and when a forum is flagged with new posts and it's only these.

9 1,199
 02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
I agree with Norm, those threads are always popping up, and it seems they are just redundant.

9 408
 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM
User Info
Could just group them in the SOTD section. They're the same thing.

9 2,988
 02-08-2013, 02:46 PM
User Info
I too agree that they are kind of redundant, but it obvious that there are those that contribute to them frequently. IMO if people are contributing to a thread it holds value to them and should be left in place. I personally don't contribute to them much and it's only a few threads to ignore and scroll past. Having been on other forums where there are probably 20 differnt "OTDs" ranging from shaves to each type of razor having their own OTD thread to each different type of tea having their own OTD thread, the few extra threads here really don't seem too burdensome to me.

5 938
 02-08-2013, 04:45 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(02-08-2013, 02:24 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Could just group them in the SOTD section. They're the same thing.

This is kind of how I was leaning and perhaps have a new thread for each week rather than a monster thread.

45 16,352
 02-08-2013, 09:01 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, until we figure something out, I gave each one of the what did you threads a sticky in the section they are in. This way they don't move around and get mixed in with other threads.

173 23,546
 02-08-2013, 10:24 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(02-08-2013, 09:01 PM)Johnny Wrote: Well, until we figure something out, I gave each one of the what did you threads a sticky in the section they are in. This way they don't move around and get mixed in with other threads.

That should clean up the clutter a bit. Thanks Johnny!

45 16,352
 02-08-2013, 10:33 PM
User Info
I'm with everyone else. The What _____ did you use today, or on deck tomorrow,waiting to be delivered threads are just to much. They really clutter everything up. I'm guilty of posting to them but, they are threads I never catch myself reading through to learn something from. You just put yours on the end of the thread and move on. It's all the same products just in a different order. Not very interesting at all. Wish they would go away. Now back to your regular scheduled programming.

2 805
 02-09-2013, 10:39 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I ended up moving all of them to a new, "What did you use" sub forum. We'll see how it goes. Huh

45 16,352
 02-09-2013, 10:44 AM
User Info
(02-09-2013, 10:39 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I ended up moving all of them to a new, "What did you use" sub forum. We'll see how it goes. Huh

I think that is a good compromise. Thanks for all the work you and the other mods/administrators do.

8 115