02-08-2013, 08:39 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1260601.JPG?m=1360340190]

As many of you already know from my reviews , my favorite handle style is the Rooney 1 medium size (1/2) and I truly have enjoyed a lot the premium silvertip that WSP offers in some of its shaving brushes.

I wanted to get a Truefitt and Hill 1/2 (Rooney made) with a horn handle imitation for the last 2 months , but have been sold out , and the news are what we already have discussed on another thread here , so talking to member Asharperraroz about it , I told him how much I like that handle style and he said he could find some of those handles (he wasnt sure about getting it with the horn imitation one) and he truly did , to my surprise.Now , I can tell you I have a great brush on my hands !

[Image: P1260602.JPG?m=1360340190]

This brush has a 23 mm premium badger knot , set at 50 mm loft , and a total height of 100 mm , which makes it a medium , on the big size (for me) , shaving brush.

The handle is very well made , as heavy and well finished as the Rooney/Morris and Forndran and Trueffit and Hill ones ,and Ivory Fleck imitation one.This handle shaped , again , its the best I have tried so far since its the most ergonomic one , and also , so classy and elegant.What else can I ask for?

[Image: P1260606.JPG?m=1360340190]

Many of us have already enjoyed the WSP badger hair brushes , in HMW , superfine two band and premium silvertip , which this brush has.I truly like the premium silvertip due to the extra soft tips , and how well packed it is with badger hair.I know that Lee have gone the extra mile to provide excellent badger knot hairs , and I can honestly say that this one could compete hand by hand with some other European brands silvertip brushes , and win in some departments.Great 3 band badger hair.As you can see , the knot (a 23 mm one) is very well packed with hair :

[Image: P1260605.JPG?m=1360340190]

And its more packed than the Truefitt and Hill 1/2 super badger I tried in the past , as you can see in this pic :

[Image: P1220060.jpg]

Truefitt and Hill (Rooney) 1/2 super badger hair brush.

I have been testing this brush with both hard soaps (triple milled) and creams , and with both creates excellent amount of lather.It works very good with facelathering with circular strokes , due to the extra softness of tips and the good amount of backbone , provided by the extra hair on the knot , and being set at 50 mm.This particular knot has kind of a fan shaped form , which makes facelathering a real pleasure.

I paid much less than If I was going to purchased a T&H silvertip brush , but , while I miss the fancy "Trueffit and Hill. Established 1805" on the front on the handle , and "Silvertip Badger.Sterelized.Made in England" on the back , this brush is basically what I was looking for and the Ivory Fleck pattern looks very nice indeed.Mayve WSP should come out with a fancy sticker to put on the handle ! Rolleyes

My gratitude towards Lee (Asharperrazor) for this brush and always go the extra mile to provide a great service.

86 7,123
 02-08-2013, 09:53 AM
User Info
Great looking brush, Teiste. I really like my premium silvertip Prince; excellent hair.

6 315
 02-08-2013, 10:06 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
That's a gorgeous looking brush Teiste. Smile

32 638
 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM
User Info
Lovely brush T and great work Lee.

Such a great handle style.

7 1,179
 02-08-2013, 10:45 AM
  • hon
User Info
Hi Teiste, may i know how is the brush perform comparing to Duke 3?
and how is the T&H 1/2 perform comparing the Duke 3?
If for face lather, how would you rank them?
Thanks.

0 38
 02-08-2013, 11:11 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(02-08-2013, 10:45 AM)hon Wrote: Hi Teiste, may i know how is the brush perform comparing to Duke 3?
and how is the T&H 1/2 perform comparing the Duke 3?
If for face lather, how would you rank them?
Thanks.

My friend I need to use this one more but so far its basically equal to the Simpson Duke 3 and much better face latherer performer than the T&H one.The premium silvertip used in this brush is excellent thats all I can say.

86 7,123
 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
User Info
wow, that handle is beautiful!

40 5,830
 02-08-2013, 04:10 PM
User Info
Teiste, great review and that handle looks amazing!

75 20,883
 02-08-2013, 04:55 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Very nice looking brush. High praise, indeed. Great review.

12 743
 02-09-2013, 06:01 AM
User Info
Teiste, that is a fine looking brush. WSP keeps putting out some great products, I am always excited to see what rolls out of the workshop next.

63 2,128
 02-09-2013, 12:45 PM
User Info
Teiste, between your glowing review and wonderful photos it makes one drool. Smile

I'm fortunate enough to have purchased a WSP Monarch high-mountain badger brush and it easily meets all of the raves it receives.

I'm intrigued about the Prince, but felt that the 47 mm loft would be too scrubby for me and wasn't particularly crazy about the handle. The Rooney style 1 handle however....drool.

I noticed that you set your brush loft at 50 mm. Did you notice much difference between the same knot set at two different heights?

3 452
 02-09-2013, 03:00 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(02-09-2013, 12:45 PM)redrako Wrote: Teiste, between your glowing review and wonderful photos it makes one drool. Smile

I'm fortunate enough to have purchased a WSP Monarch high-mountain badger brush and it easily meets all of the raves it receives.

I'm intrigued about the Prince, but felt that the 47 mm loft would be too scrubby for me and wasn't particularly crazy about the handle. The Rooney style 1 handle however....drool.

I noticed that you set your brush loft at 50 mm. Did you notice much difference between the same knot set at two different heights?

My friend , both the super silvertip (HMW) and premium silvertip that WSP uses for its brushes have extra soft tips , so no worries about the Prince being scrubby , since its a very soft tiped badger hair.
The HMW has more backbone than the premium silvertip hair , this is why the premium is set a couple mm lower , to ensure the backbone is there.

86 7,123
 02-09-2013, 06:22 PM
User Info
Thanks Tieste.

As always an understandble, comprehensive answer.

3 452