02-08-2013, 12:50 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
For all of you in the Northeast, get ready, Minnesota/Wisconsin winter is headed your way. Good luck and stay safe.

173 23,296
 02-08-2013, 12:55 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I agree everyone be safe with the upcoming storms.

1 3,507
 02-08-2013, 03:20 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
The storms are already getting press here on the West Coast. Stay safe, all.

2 11,211
 02-08-2013, 03:50 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Thanks! Having fun testing out the new snow blower, it sure is a bad storm, only going to get worse later. 6" here already

9 408
 02-08-2013, 08:56 PM
User Info
Good luck to every one.
My sister couldn't get out of her driveway, today; almost 2 feet of snow!

74 20,808
 02-09-2013, 01:13 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Temporary respite here in central MA...stopped snowing about noontime, with 2'+ accumulation....expecting 5"-7" more tonight. (Saturday) All unofficial driving banned...$500 fine and car gets towed, but at least the power held up...they didn't fare so well in Eastern MA...Pilgrim nuke shut down and 400,000 without power and temps wen't down to -2 F with
-15 F wind-chill factored in, Friday night. Methinks the ski areas will be ecstatic if the roads open up on sunday ! Maine got hit pretty hard, too.

0 1,291
 02-09-2013, 02:38 PM
User Info
My relatives who live in upstate New York got about a foot of snow and nothing else. They are all okay with no problems. I wish everyone good luck.

98 12,368
 02-09-2013, 04:26 PM
User Info
Just got Home from work about an hour ago.I work in the Auto Parts field and many broken snowplows, snowblowers, & generators so we had to be open.

About the storm-
Got about 25 inches here in central Massachusetts and Thank God for my Honda HS928 snowblower or I'd be a hurtin' puppy.
Helped out my neighbor with his broken snowblower (belt) and then got call from my Son's school teacher who plows for the state that one of his plow trucks was broken down (crank sensor).

Told him about the state ban on being on the road and he picked me up with one of the working plow trucks.

So two good deads done today for my fellow man-
I think for this one of you fine 'nook members should sell me your Simpson Eagle 3 best brushes...hint,hint Rolleyes

5 330
 02-09-2013, 04:42 PM
User Info
We haven't had a big storm in two years so I think everyone was ready. When we moved to our house, my wife said we should get a snowblower; I said no way, that good old fashioned elbow grease and a shovel would be enough. Well, suffice it to say she was right.

I've been living in Massachusetts off and on since '84 (3rd grade) and I don't remember a single storm, over 24 hours, dump as much snow as this one. However nothing for me will top the winter of '10-'11. We seemed to get between 12-18" every three days for about a month. I had just enough time to dig out from one storm to get inundated on the next one.

72 1,405
 02-09-2013, 04:50 PM
User Info
I have no idea how much we got in central Maine, but it was quite a bit. One can't guesstimate actual accumulations when it's all drifted. The coast got battered withthe astronomical high tide and the storm. Portland got almost 32". We didn't get that much.

The snow was fine and light. Easy to shovel and easy to plow. Temps near 10°F, of course the winds made it feel colder.

We never lost power and I understand most who did in Maine have it back already. Not too bad at all for us, but Portland will be digging out for awhile.

We really can't complain, it's been an easy winter so far and this really wasn't a bad storm, everything considered.

32 6,304
 02-09-2013, 05:12 PM
User Info
(02-09-2013, 04:42 PM)jpakstis Wrote: However nothing for me will top the winter of '10-'11. We seemed to get between 12-18" every three days for about a month. I had just enough time to dig out from one storm to get inundated on the next one.

I have lived in Mass all my life (45 years) and while the Blizzard of '78 was "The" storm and we were digging out for days that Winter of '10-'11 was a complete mess.

Storm after storm after storm...all of them 12" plus.
It was the first time in the 14 years I have been in my Home that I was afraid of my roof caving in and I had to go up on it and shovel it off as the the roof rake wasn't cutting through the thich ice layers.

Don't even get me started on the ice storm four years ago!

5 330
 02-09-2013, 05:34 PM
User Info
The storm coming from the mid-west combined with a massive low-pressure area, effectively stalling it over Massachusetts. The results were very similar to a massive storm in 1978 almost 35 years to the day.

Two feet of snow doesn't sound like a lot, but when it's combined with near hurricane force winds and rapid temperature change (the early part of the the storm was wet snow) you end up with white-out conditions as snow is driven horizontally, stinging your face if your outside and blinding you if you're behind the wheel.

The end result is snow drifts that several feet high. My back door had four feet of snow in front of it. Where on the opposite side of my front door had about a foot of bare pavement.

Some folks have lost electric power, but not nearly as bad as years past. The real tragedy is that there are stories coming out on the news about kids and one adult who sought refuge from the bitter cold in cars and were killed from Carbon Monoxide poisoning because the exhaust pipe.

The good news is because of better forecasting technology there was plenty of advance notice, the Governor banned non-emergency or storm related workers from driving, so most people were at home.

In 1978 when the weather technology was not as advanced the storm was a complete surprise and folks got stuck on the interstate and other roads. There were many more CO deaths as well as car accidents.

3 446