02-08-2013, 08:09 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Chaps

I have the Merkur 933CL and find it provides for a very excellent shave. I see Wegian has reviewed the open comb version, the 985CL, but I cannot find a review of how the two razors compare in terms of aggressiveness/closeness/comfort of shave, etc.

What confuses me is that the commonly-held view is that open combs are the more aggressive shavers and yet we know that this is by no means universally the case. Tradere, for example.

Is anyone here in a position to advise on how the 933CL an the 985CL rate, side by side?

0 1,622
 02-09-2013, 12:52 AM
User Info
Well, you could send me your 933CL, and I'll let you know... RolleyesTongue

As a slightly more practical solution, if you own any other Merkur Open Combs, just swap the heads. AFAIK all the current production Merkur OVs uses the same head - or at least my 985CL and 25C does - and threads, so it should slot right in.

The Merkur OC head is fairly efficient and I do like it a lot, but it's mild compared to most of my other heads. I think it boils down to the geometry of the head; blade gap and angle.

3 3,557
 02-09-2013, 01:08 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Had I had an open comb, a Merkur in nomine, I should like to try, but alack alas, I am lacking, bereft, without, and sore lost.

0 1,622