02-09-2013, 06:28 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, all you UK fellows should go to this place to either teach or learn.

London School of Shaving

173 23,499
 02-09-2013, 06:34 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Nice find for our UK friends Johnny!

91 17,811
 02-09-2013, 10:06 PM
User Info
Wow, now, that would be a great school to go to!
Sure hope the students are awake for classes! Biggrin

75 20,883
 02-10-2013, 01:12 AM
User Info
Shame they don't offer lessons in honing, I'm sure that would also be popular.

8 243
 02-12-2013, 09:10 AM
User Info
Cool. Thanks for posting this.

37 2,923
 02-12-2013, 09:34 AM
User Info
I personally think it's a really great idea. That being said their price seems a bit high but it's a business for them.

I like the idea so much I posted a thread in the " general shave discussion " to see if anyone was interested in my area.
If there is, I'll be happy to try and put something together.

The good thing, it's something that can be done anywhere. All it takes a guy with experience(and willing), a place and people that want to learn.

Matter of fact, what I think would be pretty cool would be a "list" of available area / place to take a class (for lack of a better word) on straight shaving.

0 93
 02-12-2013, 01:33 PM
User Info
(02-10-2013, 01:12 AM)jodypress Wrote: Shame they don't offer lessons in honing, I'm sure that would also be popular.

From the description, I surmise that they teach people to use a shavette.

9 2,988
 02-12-2013, 10:59 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Is anyone else put off by the (over)use of the term cutthroat razor? Use the word cutthroat a dozen times on a single page, then wonder why the first question in the FAQ is "Is it dangerous?" LOL
I dunno why, it just bugs me Rolleyes

Anyway.....it does specify the lessons are given using a shavette, with the option of bringing your own razor if you have one. I can only imagine what some people show up with.....think new users that found something cheap that 'feels pretty darn sharp' off eBay, or at a flea market....or, worse yet, a factory edge on their brand new Fromm Shok LOL

It is a neat concept though. Being someone who learned by trial and error and internet advice, on blades I honed myself, I can see where having professional help at the start would definitely have come in handy. But....would I pay £88(~$138) for a 2 hour lesson? Personally, probably not. (Can only imagine what the private lessons cost, that also include a shavette and brush to keep)

10 411
 02-13-2013, 12:31 AM
User Info
(02-12-2013, 10:59 PM)Kavik79 Wrote: Is anyone else put off by the (over)use of the term cutthroat razor? Use the word cutthroat a dozen times on a single page, then wonder why the first question in the FAQ is "Is it dangerous?" LOL
I dunno why, it just bugs me Rolleyes

Anyway.....it does specify the lessons are given using a shavette, with the option of bringing your own razor if you have one. I can only imagine what some people show up with.....think new users that found something cheap that 'feels pretty darn sharp' off eBay, or at a flea market....or, worse yet, a factory edge on their brand new Fromm Shok LOL

I'm fairly certain that's the term used in Britain, whereas in America, we use straight razor.

Lol @ Fromm. I have no further comment.

9 2,988
 02-13-2013, 06:16 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
(02-13-2013, 12:31 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: I'm fairly certain that's the term used in Britain, whereas in America, we use straight razor.

I didn't know that was the 'official' term anywhere, I guess that makes more sense then. It just has such a negative connotation Undecided

10 411
 02-13-2013, 10:13 AM
User Info
I would agree, they are teaching with a shavette.
While it doesn't have the "cool" factor of a traditional straight, the fact is, if your teaching newer guys it's going to be easiest with a shavette.
There is no concern about the honing and if you are sending them home with the razor, they're not worried about maintaining it.
I would think the end goal would be to get them to learn, then let them move to a traditional straight when they are ready for the commitment.

0 93