02-10-2013, 10:09 AM
User Info
I switched from canned cream and cartridge blades a little over a year ago. I've been using a Merkur 34C and I'm getting good shaves. But I've been wondering about all the other new and vintage razors out there. I keep hearing good things about the new Webers. But I also keep seeing all these beautiful old razors and wonder what they'd be like.

Where to start, and what to look for (or stay away from)? I'd love some advise on what kind of vintage razor I should try next. Would an adjustable give some flexibility in my shave? Or something different in an open comb? And are there some razors that are more, or less, likely to be in good shape and provide a good shave after years of wear?

Thanks for any advice!

Phaedris

0 28
 02-10-2013, 03:30 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I would suggest either a Weber or an Edwin Jagger DE89. Both excellent shavers with the Weber being more aggressive of the two.

45 3,955
 02-10-2013, 04:10 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I love my Open Comb Cadet TP-27. It don't have the snob appeal of a European razor, but it is a fine instrument for the price.

2 334
 02-10-2013, 04:42 PM
User Info
EJ Bulbous,
EJ Chatsworth
Mühle Stylo
Mühle Sophist
Weber
Tradere SB
Tradere OC
Ikon OC
Ikon SB
Goodfella
Feather
Pils
Merkur Futur
Merkur Mergress
Joris Palladium
Fatip
Mühle R41

Just to get you started Smile

22 5,043
 02-10-2013, 05:01 PM
User Info
Gillette NEW Long Comb with a 70-80 gr handle, if you decide to go to open comb razor.

1 1,428
 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM
User Info
(02-10-2013, 10:09 AM)Phaedris Wrote: I switched from canned cream and cartridge blades a little over a year ago. I've been using a Merkur 34C and I'm getting good shaves. But I've been wondering about all the other new and vintage razors out there. I keep hearing good things about the new Webers. But I also keep seeing all these beautiful old razors and wonder what they'd be like.

Where to start, and what to look for (or stay away from)? I'd love some advise on what kind of vintage razor I should try next. Would an adjustable give some flexibility in my shave? Or something different in an open comb? And are there some razors that are more, or less, likely to be in good shape and provide a good shave after years of wear?

Thanks for any advice!

Phaedris

You can't go wrong with a Weber,but Single Edge Razors are the most significant game changer around.You can find a vintage one at a very reasonable price but be sure to use a quality single edge blade.

Most SE Razors are quite old but built like tanks,and will probably outlive us all

Single edge blades are more rigid than double edge blades,they are closer to a straight razor type shave.My blades cost me 19 cents each shipped to my home and each blade lasts 14 shaves.

7 414
 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Try the Tradere SB last... or you won't want to try any of the others Wink.

Webers are very nice, tradere's, ej89, ikon's, there are a bunch of excellent razors out there.

9 408
 02-10-2013, 08:37 PM
User Info
A Schick Krona is a good choice, excellent ergonomic design, rugged construction, simple to use and keep clean, still widely available for a good price.

0 500
 02-10-2013, 10:45 PM
User Info
Please avoid SE razors. I'd like to keep the price of them down! Winky

Seriously though, what Marc (razorx) said above is spot on. Without going over to straight razors, SEs are a definite safety razor game changer!

31 7,912
 02-11-2013, 12:00 PM
User Info
You know, you will have to get most of the ones that are intriguing you.Biggrin
Good luck with the experimenting.

75 20,883
 02-11-2013, 05:39 PM
User Info
Thanks guys,

Celestino is right, eventually I'll probably look into a number of razors. But Marc's comment did strike a chord with me. I do want to look at something that is a lot different and could be a game changer. So I think I'd like to look for a SE razor.

Any ideas on good possibilities for a SE? Or SE blades?

0 28
 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM
User Info
My top two:
Tradere SB
Cobra

I'd perfectly happu with these two though:
Gillette NEW
Gem Damaskeene

If you feel like an aggressive adventure:
Gem Micromatic Clog-Proof

6 808
 02-11-2013, 06:02 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I would try a Fatip, they are aggressive but still smooth shavers and are a totally different experience from what you're currently using. Honestly, even though I am Weber lover, I wouldn't bother with one unless you're wanting a stainless steel razor, the shave experience is very similar to the 34c and wouldn't offer much different. I'd also look into some single edge razors, maybe a GEM/Ever-Ready 1912 or some Schick Injectors..they're a very different and wonderful experience and can be found for very reasonable prices, often under $10.

Which ever way you go, good luck and enjoy!

31 1,510
 02-11-2013, 06:09 PM
User Info
(02-11-2013, 05:39 PM)Phaedris Wrote: Thanks guys,

Celestino is right, eventually I'll probably look into a number of razors. But Marc's comment did strike a chord with me. I do want to look at something that is a lot different and could be a game changer. So I think I'd like to look for a SE razor.

Any ideas on good possibilities for a SE? Or SE blades?

The shaving Gods have been especially kind to me lately,time for me to pay it forward.

If you message me an address to ship to I'll hook you up for free with a not too terribly beat up GEM Damaskeene SE Razor and some GEM PTFE Coated Stainless Steel Single Edge Blades.It's not much to look at,but a rock solid Single Edge razor.

While I'm at it I'll throw a beat up Shick Injector in as well,smooth,effortless and very effective.Blades can sometimes be found at Walmart or little Drug Stores and for sure at amazon...

7 414
 02-11-2013, 06:22 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
If you've been using a 34C for a year and are getting good shaves consistently with it, you are definitely ready to try another razor. I can not speak to an SE, but as for DE's 34C pretty much represents 90% modern safety bar razors out there. Weber is pretty much a clone of the 34C head (I know I will get punished for saying this, but that's how I feel after trying it). That is to say Weber is a fantastically good razor, but so is 34C and the difference in shave is almost nil between the two. EJ razors are in the same category, though I feel they are slightly different (a bit more aggressive, but only a tiny bit) than 34C. I love my Barley Chrome, it was my first DE razor and I will cherish it always, but it is very similar to 34C in shaving. I can not speak to expensive stainless razors like Tradere and Ikon, but I can speak to vintage Gillettes and Merkur Progress, both are very different from 34C. If you are interested in a vintage Gillette and want to try an open comb, you can not go wrong with Gillette New Long Comb. A bit more aggressive than 34C, but I would say a much better shaver. You can pretty much buy one without worrying as long as the teeth are straight (and even if they are not too badly bent) it will shave like a dream. They are easy to come by, do not need to be in good shape to be good users (mine is a rat razor for sure, but it is one of my best shavers now that I have a decent technique). Open comb allows for an easier glide, most would agree. It has less surface area to contact the skin before the blade, unlike the safety bar razors. I had a New short comb and it was also very nice, but a bit less aggressive, but still excellent. I would also try a Progress since it's adjustable and you can experiment with aggressiveness. I think Progress is way better for an adjustable than a Gillette, but again, that's my personal opinion and I have my reasons. Progress has a very well designed head that gives fantastic shaves. Also, another thing to try is a slant. A razor in which the blade is twisted to create a diagonal cutting edge. Merkur makes one that looks exactly like a 34C except with a slant head on it it's called 37C. There are vintage versions of this razor also and they are very popular. I like them, but do not think they are all that different. Excellent shavers, for sure. More efficient than the 34C, but still my Progress and Gillette New take higher rankings from me. If you want to experiment with SE's I am sure you will get lots of support here also.

Best of luck and welcome to the Nook!

25 1,705
 02-12-2013, 12:23 AM
User Info
Easy question, not so easy answer, but I think Marc and Celestino (others too) have you covered.

Will a DE adjustable also be different enough? Maybe. A Gillette Slim should still be relatively inexpensive and set to magic 9 is quite aggressive w/o being overly so.

But SE is really a different experience. Marc has you covered. Different w/o being over the top aggressive.

32 6,308
 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM
User Info
Phaedris: Razors & blades are on the way...

For the GEM Damaskeene included a couple of GEM PTFE Coated Stainless Steel and also a couple of Treet Carbon Steel Blades.

The GEM PTFE are practically indestructable,the Treets aren't stainless and should be dried off after every use or they rust,more work but many feel they're sharper.I generally stick with the rock solid low maintenance GEM PTFE Blades,throw 'em in my razor and I'm good for 14 shaves with zero rust.

The green handled Shick Injector is probably worth taking for a spin if you grab some blades for it.I used to think injectors were cheesy,but I'm getting more impressed with injectors by the day.

Just a heads up...Got your message ok,but got a notice that your settings for messages aren't letting you receive.

7 414
 02-12-2013, 05:53 PM
User Info
Thanks Marc,

Wow, you surprised me again. That was quick! I'm really looking forward to trying them. I'll be sure to report back with reactions once a get a couple shaves in.

I'll go look into my account issue now too.

0 28