02-10-2013, 12:32 PM
User Info
I'm working on a going away gift for someone retiring at work. We fly the AC-130H, which used to have 2x 7.62mm miniguns, 2x 20mm miniguns, a 40mm cannon, and a 105mm howitzer. I managed to get a couple 20mm casings and a couple 7.62x51 casings and my idea was to make a shaving brush out of the 20mm. I had the 20mm casing cut down to about 2" tall, and the inside diameter is around 25mm (i plan on measuring it more accurately before ordering a knot from TGN, i just dont have a caliper). The 7.62 casings are 51mm tall, with an inside diameter at the neck at 7.62mm (imagine that).

So, i'm looking for ideas on how to mount these and complete the project. The casings are obviously hollow. The 20mm probably has enough weight on its own, so would it work to just epoxy the sides of the knot to the inside of the case or should i fill the casing with something (plaster??) to provide a surface on the bottom to epoxy to? Although the edge was beveled when it was cut, i would also like to come up with a way to pad the top edge of the case so it is not cutting the brush fibers.

For the razor, i was looking at the safety razor from TGN (http://thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_p...cts_id=117). The casing is much too light, so i'd likely want to fill it with something to add weight, but not sure what. I'm also unsure of how to mount the head. If i can find a nut of the correct thread and outside diameter, i could possibly epoxy it inside the neck of the case.

Any thoughts or ideas or feedback on something i havent thought of would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

0 32
 02-10-2013, 01:13 PM
User Info
For the brush, you can fill it with BB's and epoxy for weight. Or washers. Or pennies if you want. I think I would go with BB's.

9 2,988
 02-10-2013, 02:10 PM
User Info
Having just hefted a 20x102 in my hand (AFAIK the AC-130H uses the M61 Vulcan, just as the F-16AM), I think adding extra weight other than epoxy (fill the case) would make the brush very tail heavy and likely to drag against the runway on take off... as you know the base of the case is quite hefty.
For the razor, I would see if you can't get someone to machine an insert of brass with the correct threads that you can epoxy in place. That way the insert can reach all the way down to the bottom of the case and make for a very solid handle.

Reading between the lines, you're at an Air Base. The local machine shop over at the maintenance hangar should - if asked nicely - be able both to help with an exact measurement of the inside of the case for the brush as well as an insert for the razor.

Overall a fun sounding project - pictures?

3 3,560
 02-10-2013, 02:56 PM
User Info
I like the idea of the brass insert for the razor. Get something full length of the casing with the proper thread and outer diameter; that would add weight and balance the handle out.

Yeah, on the 20mm case, if i added weight i'd want to add it towards the top/knot instead of the base. So when epoxying a knot does the exoxy go on the sidewalls and on the base?

I dont have any pictures but I could take a picture of the empty cases. I definitely plan on posting some pics when i have the project done.

0 32
 02-10-2013, 03:16 PM
User Info
If weight is a concern could'nt you use a rigid closed cell foam to make up the space ?

2 697
 02-10-2013, 03:20 PM
User Info
Given that new information, I would just fill the bottom with epoxy to make it solid.

9 2,988
 02-10-2013, 03:39 PM
User Info
the 20mm case, aka brush handle, is about 95 grams, almost 3.5oz, and bottom heavy. I guess i really dont know what a good handle should weigh to know if i should make it heavier or not.

0 32
 02-10-2013, 05:33 PM
User Info
20mm case has 25.5mm inside diameter. the 7.62 are about 7.8mm but are not perfect circles (partially notes for me so i dont lose the dimensions, partially more information for feedback, and also logging project progress).

0 32
 02-23-2013, 06:55 AM
User Info
Got a DE safety razor head from TGN. TGN was out of 24mm knots so i got a 24mm Silvertip from whipped dog on the way as well.

0 32
 02-24-2013, 08:45 AM
User Info
Finished up th brush handle yesterday. Here is a couple pics. Comes in at 120g and about 14.5mm depth for the knot. Ended up filling it with epoxy putty and a 1" washer for a flat base. I'll post more pics when I get the knot in, should be delivered later this week.

Since its a 2nd retirement gift (he retired and was recalled for 3 years and is now retiring again) for a guy in my unit, i'm thinking of having our unit patch engraved on it.

Sent from my rooted HTC EVO Design using Tapatalk

Attached Files Image(s)

0 32
 02-24-2013, 09:31 AM
User Info
Cool.

I'd consider one last fast polish then some sort of a coating to prevent corrosion and keep the brass shiny for a time. Lacquer? Poly? You must have a wood butcher shop on base that can help with that. If not Home Depot would have it in spray cans.

32 6,308
 02-24-2013, 09:37 AM
User Info
If I engraved it I was thinking powder coating black then cutting out the patch

Sent from my rooted HTC EVO Design using Tapatalk

0 32
 02-24-2013, 12:01 PM
User Info
Just my 2 cents, but I would keep it as lacquered brass - YMMV off course Biggrin

I really like the idea of having the unit patch engraved on it... makes it extra special. I hope you'll share pictures of the end result as well Smile

3 3,560
 02-24-2013, 04:21 PM
User Info
off topic but i'm confused about the actual meaning of "ymmv".

i thought it was a disclamer, a way of saying "your results may be different". EG: "Feather blades are very sharp and i get a great shave from them, but ymmv." if thats the case it does not make any sense in the above post.

or is it just another piece of internet slang/acronyms that has lost all meaning and is now applied haphazardly. "i drive a black car, ymmv" "It is snowing outside, ymmv"

just my humble opinion; Your Mileage May Vary.

I plan on doing 2 of these with one being a going away gift and keeping the other. Perhaps i'll do one with powder coat and engraving and leave the other one plain. Either way, pictures will definitely be forthcoming.

0 32
 02-24-2013, 07:55 PM
User Info
What I meant that while I would leave them in the brass, your opinion and intentions on the matter may be different.

3 3,560
 02-24-2013, 07:57 PM
User Info
ah. yeah, i had no specific intentions yet so seeking feedback/opinions. i'm still figuring out all the acronyms....its almost as bad as the military.

0 32
 02-28-2013, 05:47 PM
User Info
Razor head came in yesterday, knot today. Just need to polish and finish assembly.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files Image(s)

0 32
 02-28-2013, 05:58 PM
User Info
Awesome job! What a wonderful gift.

24 212
 02-28-2013, 06:00 PM
User Info
Thanks, i'm really liking how the brush is going to turn out. The razor is taking more work. Trying to find a way to mount it together and get a smoother transition from the wider chrome neck to the end of the 7.62 case.

0 32
 02-28-2013, 07:16 PM
User Info
I'm really digging the brush.

If you could get a piece of brass that would drop into the shell casing, then you could thread the cap right into the casing without the bulbous piece.

That's a nice thing you are doing.

18 567