02-10-2013, 11:34 PM
User Info
My first real brush (after using a Crabtree & Evenlyn floppy best) was a Chubby 3 in Manchurian.

Like Claus said, I started at the top, from all perspectives. Quality of workmanship, quality of hair and subjectively, quality of knot size.

My next brush was a M&F 2XL Finest.

I immediately noticed the difference. I think the Chubby 3 is around 30mm while the 2XL is around 27 or 28mm.

But the difference in density and knot size was quickly apparent. It got me wondering which size I preferred and which was more practical.

Here are my thoughts.

The Chubby 3, especially in Manchurian (its more dense than the 3 band and the 2 band) is not practical. I literally have lather flying off the brush while face lathering and gobs of it falling of my face.
Whilst with the 2XL, the size is [strike]perfect [/strike] practical.

I am not a small guy. I am 180cm (about 6 foot tall) and medium built. Even then the Chubby 3 is too big for my face.

I can say in the end that the pragmatic of us will better enjoy a 2XL or Chubby 2 while those seeking opulence will prefer a 3XL or chubby 3.

I've learned that one has to sacrifice a lot to enjoy opulence. Things like having to find a corner parking when driving a nice car so that the person next to you doesn't ding your door (forget about valet - they're worse) or carry a lot of luggage because traveling with a single pair of shoes doesn't work for you.

Therefore after some though I decided to get a Chubby 3 in 2 band. Its not practical, its opulent.

0 193
 02-11-2013, 01:30 AM
User Info
Congrats on another wonderful brush, I think you will really like it. The flow thru should be much improved vs the Manchurian and the tips will feel like cotton balls on your face. I have owned three Chubby 3's over the years and currently own two. I sold the two band CH3 because it lacked the face feel I prefer with the three band Super. I am probably one of the few who feel that the chubby 3 is practical. It is very large no doubt, but perfectly controllable and makes face lathering an easy and very luxurious experience. Most as you say will find a CH2 or 2XL much more practical in size.

We definitely expect pictures and details once you receive your two bander!

63 2,128
 02-11-2013, 01:39 AM
User Info
I had a Chubby three in Threeband Super, and I sold it. Its just too big for me, I face lather. I think for me the max knot size I like is about 26 mm. But, I know there are many of my customers that like huge brushes. Its all personal preference. Additionally, I was not happy how the huge brush did not release lather well, I mainly used it with creams. The brush did not like soaps, and I have mainly soaps. My biggest brushes are a few Thaeters with 25/26 mm knots and a Polo - all these are excellent to use.

0 163
 02-11-2013, 03:06 AM
User Info
(02-11-2013, 01:39 AM)Rudy Vey Wrote: I had a Chubby three in Threeband Super, and I sold it. Its just too big for me, I face lather. I think for me the max knot size I like is about 26 mm. But, I know there are many of my customers that like huge brushes. Its all personal preference. Additionally, I was not happy how the huge brush did not release lather well, I mainly used it with creams. The brush did not like soaps, and I have mainly soaps. My biggest brushes are a few Thaeters with 25/26 mm knots and a Polo - all these are excellent to use.

I agree, in this case opulence frankly has nothing to do with it Smile

Whether you £280 - price for Ch2 Manchu - or £320 - price for Ch3 Manchu - (including vat) frankly is not important......

I owned two versions of the limited Rooney Finest M&F brush, only sold through Classic Shaving, one in 29 mm and one in 34 mm, and paid more for those each than what a Ch3 Manchu cost. The 34 mm may be the best brush I have ever used.
But I could not face lather with it with the necessary comfort because of its splay.
And it didn't splay much for a 34 mm brush.
It was more dense than any Simpson I have ever seen on photos.
In the end I sold it, and kept its 29 mm little brother - because I found my brush sweet spot.

Same happened with my 2 Rooney XL. Owned both the 2XL and the 3XL.
The 3XL is a wonderful brush, but impractical and I simply get a better face lather and shave from its little brother, the 2XL.

Nothing to do with opulence.

It simply has to do with PERFORMANCE. Simple as that.
It's also annoying owning brushes that are too big to dip into most shaving cream pots without bending the outer hairs in the knot on the outside of the shaving cream pot.

I'm a 6' 4" guy with XL hands, but handles like Rooney 3XL and Chubby 3 just don't give me quite the same control and feel when I face lather.
Again nothing to do with opulence, it's all about PERFORMANCE !

YMMV Wink

22 5,052
 02-11-2013, 04:38 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I comfortably face lather with CH3 Manchurian (which IMO has superior flow through compared to Best, 3 band and 2 band), but I even face lather confidently with a 36mm M&F. That said my preference has shifted from large to medium size brushes as I am often in a rush and there is no denying they are more agile and less cumbersome. I like my lather on my face, but expect a little "loss" with big brushes especially if faced with time constraints...

91 17,828
 02-11-2013, 07:33 AM
User Info
I am yet to try my CH3 Super...Blush

4 358
 02-11-2013, 08:06 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(02-10-2013, 11:34 PM)hedonist222 Wrote: Things like having to find a corner parking when driving a nice car so that the person next to you doesn't ding your door (forget about valet - they're worse) or carry a lot of luggage because traveling with a single pair of shoes doesn't work for you.

This reminds me of a good friend of mine who's a straight razor collector like myself. He started straight razor shaving with his collection of Filarmonica "Barba Dura". It's like learning to drive with a Porsche. Dodgy

Congrats on your Chubby

4 313
 02-11-2013, 08:09 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-11-2013, 08:06 AM)Leon Wrote: This reminds me of a good friend of mine who's a straight razor collector like myself. He started straight razor shaving with his collection of Filarmonica "Barba Dura". It's like learning to drive with a Porsche. Dodgy

At least in his case the Porsche will be okay when he wraps it around a tree (his face).

10 1,858
 02-11-2013, 12:00 PM
User Info
(02-10-2013, 11:34 PM)hedonist222 Wrote: My first real brush (after using a Crabtree & Evenlyn floppy best) was a Chubby 3 in Manchurian.

Like Claus said, I started at the top, from all perspectives. Quality of workmanship, quality of hair and subjectively, quality of knot size.

My next brush was a M&F 2XL Finest.

I immediately noticed the difference. I think the Chubby 3 is around 30mm while the 2XL is around 27 or 28mm.

But the difference in density and knot size was quickly apparent. It got me wondering which size I preferred and which was more practical.

Here are my thoughts.

The Chubby 3, especially in Manchurian (its more dense than the 3 band and the 2 band) is not practical. I literally have lather flying off the brush while face lathering and gobs of it falling of my face.
Whilst with the 2XL, the size is [strike]perfect [/strike] practical.

I am not a small guy. I am 180cm (about 6 foot tall) and medium built. Even then the Chubby 3 is too big for my face.

I can say in the end that the pragmatic of us will better enjoy a 2XL or Chubby 2 while those seeking opulence will prefer a 3XL or chubby 3.

I've learned that one has to sacrifice a lot to enjoy opulence. Things like having to find a corner parking when driving a nice car so that the person next to you doesn't ding your door (forget about valet - they're worse) or carry a lot of luggage because traveling with a single pair of shoes doesn't work for you.

Therefore after some though I decided to get a Chubby 3 in 2 band. Its not practical, its opulent.

I think your purchase of a Chubby 3 / 2band will need it's own car park bay all to it's self....

A really top notch brush. Enjoy

Charles U.K

0 2,339