02-11-2013, 10:01 AM
User Info
Wondering how this cream/soap performs and is there a scent difference between them? Which one is better, I know scent usually suffers a little in some soaps compared to creams/croaps. Any info is welcome. BTW I have not used any QCS products.

2 805
 02-11-2013, 03:02 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
QCS products perform amazingly well, overall. The Basilica was one of the scents that I tried and couldn't draw a conclusion on. I tried it in the cream version and the scent was very old world, almost a bit musty. The sample had enough to get four shaves out of (easily could have been more if I was more frugal with my lather) and the lather was very slick, protective and left my face very soft. It is probably not one that I would order mainly because they have other scents that I really like (Vetiver, Queen Charlotte, and Esquire all come to mind).

121 2,252
 02-18-2013, 11:51 AM
User Info
From QCS I have used Rose Otto, Vetiver, Fougere, Esquire, Key Lime and Queen Charlotte (creams). In my personal opinion they are great scents the Key Lime is for me, the best! and one of the most important characteristics of the performance of this creams is that they rinse off the blade very easily, but the lather is very stable and protective. Thumbs up on QCS!

10 605
 02-19-2013, 05:02 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Matt's soaps and croaps perform really well.

The problem, at least for me, is in the scents. I tried many of his scents both in full size tubs and in samples. Some were okay, most of them were disappointing and a few were downright gross.

Once you find one you like, I really liked the Green Irish Tweed for example, the scents vary SO MUCH from batch to batch it's not even funny. One tub I had was really strong. The next tub I bought, you could barely smell anything. Super frustrating.

I know this is totally unrelated to your original question, but his balms are really fantastic. Very expensive for the size you get but they work very well.

13 599
 02-20-2013, 12:23 PM
  • DanOK
  • Mustang, OK
User Info
I like Matt's creams a lot and Basilica is one of my favorites. Very old world with musty earth overtones. Maybe you have to be Catholic but it remains me of old, very traditional, churches that still burn a lot of incense during mass.

I haven't had a problem with scents varying between batches but the one I like I like a lot and the ones I don't I really dislike. Additional favorites are Caymen, Queen Charlotte, and Rose Otto. I would encourage you to buy samples to experiment with the scents before buying a tub.

0 56
 02-21-2013, 09:18 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I vote for the cream over the soap. The cream is really more of a soft soap, like Cella. The performance is excellent. I consider it one of the best artisan products I have used.

Of the 10 or so samples I have worked through, Basilica is the one I will be ordering a tub of. I really like frankincense, and this is the only product I have found with a pretty straightforward frankincense. Very woodsy and resinous. But try a sample first.

43 1,682
 02-21-2013, 09:54 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the advice.

2 805