02-11-2013, 07:06 PM
User Info
I think this is an older Tech, but I am not really sure. If anyone can help and maybe even give me a value, that would be great.

[Image: photo2.jpg]

[Image: photo.jpg]

That was before I cleaned it up with the Bubbles. I did not want to scrub too much since some of the plate is coming off. Any help would be great. Thanks

0 7
 02-11-2013, 07:11 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Definitely a Tech, though I would guess from the 40's.

35 1,732
 02-11-2013, 07:21 PM
User Info
Yeah, I was told mid 30s to 1945. Really not sure since I know nothing about these. I can't really make out any numbers on the plate. I wasn't sure if you could tell by looking at the pieces or not. Thanks for the reply.

0 7
 02-11-2013, 07:24 PM
User Info
Looks like a ball end tech to me.

5 938
 02-11-2013, 07:30 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I'd call it a gilded Gillette ball-end closed comb (or 'solid-bar') Tech with D-holes, probably American (does it say made in USA on the underside? I can see the diamond logo faintly only. I'd say it dates at probably 1940, perhaps slightly earlier. With a box it would be more valuable, but as to value you might be able to pick one up in shave-ready condition for $15-20? The D-holes are purportedly a sign of a slightly more aggressive shave, but I have never found this to be particularly the case. If anything, the wider oblong holed British techs (Fat or Slim handle) give a slightly closer shave IMO. Nonetheless it will give you as good a shave as many contemporary closed-comb shavers, if not better.

0 1,625
 02-11-2013, 07:38 PM
User Info
(02-11-2013, 07:30 PM)Shaun Wrote: I'd call it a gilded Gillette ball-end closed comb (or 'solid-bar') Tech with D-holes, probably American (does it say made in USA on the underside? I can see the diamond logo faintly only. I'd say it dates at probably 1940, perhaps slightly earlier. With a box it would be more valuable, but as to value you might be able to pick one up in shave-ready condition for $15-20? The D-holes are purportedly a sign of a slightly more aggressive shave, but I have never found this to be particularly the case. If anything, the wider oblong holed British techs (Fat or Slim handle) give a slightly closer shave IMO. Nonetheless it will give you as good a shave as many contemporary closed-comb shavers, if not better.

Yes, It was made in the USA. And the diamond is clear. I think I have additional pics if that would help. I do not have the box but it was a $3 purchase at an antique store. So, I guess I did not do too bad. It works and it shaves. I can't attest to how well as compared to others, as this is my first DE. Thank you very much for the information.

One last thing, is there anything that I can do about the plating, or is it not worth it?

0 7
 02-11-2013, 07:44 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Well, you could get it re-plated I suppose, but you will always be able to find others in better condition. Personally, I am not a fan or re-plating because I like the worn look. I get a better historical/aura sense that way. There are many of these items available in very good condition for sale or auction in places like eBay. For $3 you can't complain, though, not that you are. Use it and enjoy it. When you get more knowledgeable, you could explore the many interesting varieties of, say, Gillettes, and like many of us here, develop a serious Razor Acquisition Disorder (RAD).

Also useful, check this link out:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/Tech.htm

0 1,625
 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM
User Info
Awesome, thanks for the info. Cool

[Image: 87178590-3F24-46E1-B9C5-0D1B9BCF1A6E-388...AC2695.jpg]

0 7
 02-16-2013, 03:46 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I have a couple of those razors and I would just use it.

Probably a 1938 to 1945 Tech.

You can go to Mr-Razor.com and see his collection and see if you can find this razor.

Oh I see that someone has already mentioned Mr-Razor.

1 819
 02-16-2013, 07:14 PM
User Info
Ball End Tech .....here,hope this helps

[Image: 1938-196620Tech20Evolution20klein-1.jpg]

0 606