02-11-2013, 08:58 PM
User Info
Alright, I'm not sure this is in the right area, so mods feel free to move it if need be.
Anyway I have a general question for the Nashville TN crowd (which for some reason seems to be a good number of us).
Anyway, what I find interesting is there doesn't seem to be many that are straight shavers, mostly DE.
In general, if I were to set up a class on straight shaving,
Maybe even supply the razors (most likely shavette, so you could have them) would anyone be interested?

I wouldn't be free. I would have setup with a place to do it. (maybe a barbershop) I'm sure they would want to be paid for their time and then the cost of the razors..
I don't think it would be anything really pricy but there would be some cost involved.

Any input?

Brian

0 93
 02-12-2013, 12:09 AM
User Info
Brian, not from TN here... I do envy a place where you can even contemplate such an event.

You could set it up with a minimum # of folks required to pay the bill. If you don't get them it doesn't happen.

32 6,311
 02-12-2013, 06:24 AM
User Info
Well right now it's nothing more then a idea Smile. That being said if there is some interest I can make some phone call and get a idea of the cost. At which point I could set a number for available spots.

0 93
 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM
User Info
I'm interested.

9 166
 02-12-2013, 01:31 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
If it's a time when I could head to Nashville I'd be up for it.

116 3,804
 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Brian

I'm not in your area, but fingers-crossed I will be attending a similar event this coming Saturday (16th Feb 2013) in St Louis MO, thanks to from Lynn Abrams yesterday evening...

If I do attend and you're interested in hearing my experience, I can report back early next week.

Good luck!

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM
User Info
Definitely interested in what's going on in the mainstream Mike.

32 6,311
 02-12-2013, 02:59 PM
User Info
I'd definitely be interested in this. Especially as I'm hoping to pick up a Feather AC razor for my birthday in a couple months. My big "however" is that I have a couple young children. I almost don't feel like committing to anything anymore as anything can and does happen to throw my plans off.

While I don't have a barbershop, I do have an office that is wide open for the most part. I've had events here in the past and it's gone over well. Only down side for something like this is that I only have a small bathroom and only a couple wall mirrors. If these obstacles aren't too much then I'd be glad to host it at no cost. I'm not super convenient for most (other than Duane) as I'm about 25 minutes north of Nashville.

31 7,914
 02-12-2013, 04:51 PM
User Info
Mike,
I'm sure Lynn will have a nice set up for y'all.
If would be interesting to see how it goes.
My idea is tuned more for the new beginner and those interested in starting. Those that may need a helpful nudge Smile

Brian,
A big thanks for offering up your space.
I'm kind of in the same position. I have a office I could use but it's not really conducive to "shaving"
That's why I was thinking about a barber shop. Decent area, with mirrors. A place that just make you feel like you need to shave (which is the goal...lol )

0 93
 02-12-2013, 08:00 PM
User Info
Alright.
So I sent a few emails and I think I may have a barber shop lined up It's located in Franklin (hopefully not to far for the Nashville folks). And the price isn't to bad.
Plus, the owner was open to "Cigar and such" after the "class".

Since this would be set up more for the beginner,
this is what I'm thinking in general
The price will depend on amount of people but just as a guide I'll assume 5.
$40-50'ish per person (you provide your shavette)
$65-75'ish per person and I'll provide you a new shavette (which you would keep).

While it would be nice to use a traditional straight, it would be less of a problem to use a shavette.

So what does everyone think. Speak freely your not going to hurt my feelings. Smile

0 93
 02-12-2013, 09:25 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Great Idea. Lived in Middle TN for 10 years. (Hickman County for the most part.) If I was still up there I would be in. Good Luck and keep us posted on how it turns out...

5 1,151
 02-17-2013, 09:31 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-12-2013, 01:42 PM)mikeperry Wrote: If I do attend and you're interested in hearing my experience, I can report back early next week.

Hi Brian (and others that may be interested)

Here you go, Mini report from Straight Razor Place meetup (2013-02-16) in St Louis.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-17-2013, 08:05 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
No where near you, but just my 2 cents: This sounds like a great idea, should be a lot of fun for those who attend. And the pricing seems MUCH more reasonable than the one that was being discussed that's over in London Thumbup

10 411