02-12-2013, 12:29 AM
User Info
I may be way off here but I imagine most of us started off as bowl lathers. What made you decide to switch or why is it that you are a face latherer? Any tips for someone looking to tranform from a bowl latherer to a face latherer?

3 53
 02-12-2013, 12:44 AM
User Info
When I figured out that I can do on my face what I did in a bowl, I decided face lathering was for me...you can say that was the moment of enlightenment...plus I think it provides better face prep

5 938
 02-12-2013, 04:39 AM
User Info
Ive always been a face lather guy. Just enjoy the feeling of it and the brush is meant to loosen up your follicles for a smoother shave

9 333
 02-12-2013, 06:22 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I do both. I enjoy the feeling of the brush on my face, and like Noah says, it really works the hair away from the face, etc. However, I don't have a lot of success doing it that way with every soap, or most creams.

Some lathers need more work than I can comfortably do on my face, particularly when using my boar brushes. I also really like warm lather from my scuttle on chilly days, so that's an obvious reason to bowl lather, right there. Finally, I seem to always start off too wet or too dry with creams, so they either fling all over or wear my skin out trying to mix them right on my face.

10 1,858
 02-12-2013, 07:37 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I started bowl lathering but eventually moved on to face lathering for space (tiny den) and simplicity reasons. Now I face lather 99% of the time, it feels great on the face and I like the simplicity of it.
I still have 2 custom Dirty Bird lather bowls, but I keep one on a table by the door as a catchall/change dish and the other is on a shelf in the closet and only used once in a blue moon when I use a cream, usually a sample from someone as I never really buy creams.

31 1,510
 02-12-2013, 01:36 PM
User Info
I tried bowl lathering, couldn't make it work. Read about face lathering and it just made more sense to cut out a step.

FL worked better, but what did the trick was not using EJ soap. Never looked back since.

9 2,987
 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM
User Info
I bowl lathered because my first brush felt horrible on my face. I wanted to limit as much as possible the amount of time that brush was on my skin. It was the VanDerHagen boar.

I switched to face lathering once I received my first badger brush (Frank Shaving Finest). I liked the way this brush felt on my face so I wanted to really utilize it to prepare my skin and stubble for the shave. It didn't take long for me to realize that it was much easier and more efficient to face lather compared to building the lather in a smooth bowl and then having to transfer it to my face.

Even now when I do test lathers I much prefer to do a palm lather over a bowl lather. I believe there is something about the interaction of brush with skin that provides a better lather; IMHO and YMMV of course.

31 7,892
 02-12-2013, 03:45 PM
User Info
Started out lathering in a bowl and one day just tried face lathering and have never looked back, why wouldn't someone want their beautiful soft brush massaging their face for a few minutes.

0 86
 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM
User Info
At one time I did both, depending on the mood. I found, some time ago, that I was just getting better shaves with a face lather and just enjoyed it more.

During winter I still like my scuttle to keep my brush warm. Summers are strictly cold.

2 546
 02-12-2013, 06:25 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I started out lathering in a mug over 50 years ago and for most of my life it was either a mug or a small bowl. Then I discovered scuttles and bought one of every kind I could find. Then while on a weekend trip several months back I discovered I had left my travel bowl at home so I just loaded my Speick Cream directly on the tips of my brush and went after it. Was I ever surprised. Probably one of the best shaves I've ever had. Well, I have been face lathering every since then. You will still see in my SOTD pictures my Moss Scuttle which I use just to keep the brush/lather warm. It's not really large enough to build lather in anyway.

I still have a cabinet full of scuttles and bowls, and every once in a while I will build my lather in one of them when using a cream.

173 23,290
 02-23-2013, 04:56 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I started face lathering 40 years ago and have only in the last two years used a bowl or scuttle. It's what my grandpa used to do and I imitated him, also in the military you have to face lather so I kept doing that until I retired, it worked for me so.... That was before I had time to make this a hobby.

26 1,245
 02-26-2013, 06:28 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Like Johnny I keep my mug in a pan of hot water to keep my lather/brush warm. I used to build my lather in the mug but now I just love the feel of my brush against my face. IMHO it improves hydration and exfoliates the skin and lifts the beard..... I'd rather fight than switch... lol

5 1,151
 02-27-2013, 10:27 AM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
When I discovered shave sticks, it all changed.

Better lather, shorter prep, more economical use of product.

My Tabac and La Toja Manantiales bowl "pucks" are now used as sticks!

0 106
 03-01-2013, 06:40 AM
User Info
Once I tried face-lathering, I was hooked. First of all, it's faster because it's a two-step process (load and lather) rather than a 3-step process (load, create lather in scuttle, apply to face) and second of all, I enjoy the additional time I spend applying the brush & lather to my face (the same amount of time I would have spent building the lather in my scuttle).

I now use my scuttle only to keep my brush/lather warm while I am shaving.

66 692
 03-01-2013, 08:00 AM
User Info
Recently I tend to face-lather instead of using the bowl as I been doing for many years now but I can't say why. One day I started face-lathering and I must enjoy it for I did not use the bowl again.
Only change in my shaving routine has been applying the pre-shave balm. Now I do this before my daily head shaving.

0 89