User Info
for travel & at home

7 1,625
 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The item in that picture that I see as a must for every shaver is, "the VISA card".Smile

173 23,535
 02-12-2013, 10:14 AM
User Info
exactly Sisi

7 1,625
 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM
User Info
Great pic!

75 20,883
 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM
User Info
thank you celestino.

7 1,625
 02-17-2013, 09:46 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
Nice brushes. Do you find them soft? I don't have much (high-end / Silvertip) brush experience. How do those Retro's compare?

17 290
 02-17-2013, 11:31 AM
User Info
hi RobE - the retro has very soft tips & good backbone & very dense with great flow & non scritch/scratch. the silvertip badger hair is unbleached and the brush is limited run of about 500 of each color. i alternate these 2 retro and use them exclusively. don't think i wish to acquire another brush for home use after these. by the way the semogue 1250 is my travel brush.

tell me - is your avatar a yellow-winged amazon?

7 1,625
 02-18-2013, 03:26 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
tonsorius, thank you for your thoughts. An RP2 was the 2nd brush I've acquired. It's the largest of the three that I rotate and the only Silvertip that I've ever owned or experienced. I might not have purchased it, but it was new, unused and attractively priced on a trading forum, so I took a chance, having little time to do much homework on it. Smile No regrets, but I've still no clue how it compares to other fine offerings at its retail price point. I find it exactly as you've described, but (having no other Silvertip experience) from all that I'd read in general... I'd expected softer, but honestly, I probably would've liked it less if it had been, that is... knowing what I know now. Smile

It's infrequent that I see another Retro user - the brush gets very little press or talk time on the boards, I guess because of its limited availability. Nice to see that you regard it so highly. I like it very much myself. I do rotate with two other 'lesser' brushes. A Vulfix pure (my starter), I like the smaller knot size and it exfoliates very well... and also a Simpson Special1 in Best badger. Three distinctly different brushes for me. I use them all and have no current plans to sell any or even expand the collection.

The Avatar is from a pic of my best friend and companion for twenty three years. It's been a few years since she's gone, but I keep it in her memory. Not visible is a small tinge of blue above her nares. She was a Bluefront. An amazona aestiva xanthopteryx, showing more yellow on the shoulder than the nominate species.

BTW, just went to Google to look up yellow-winged amazon. Now I understand your question a bit better, as i didn't recognize the name. There is a species of Amazon identified as a yellow shouldered amazon, (which isn't a Bluefront)... and I also see references to yellow winged amazons which actually are Bluefronted amazons. This is a misnomer. To whatever extent BF's are called yellow winged.... They are not, but it's only the A. aestiva xanthopteryx that would be so referenced. The A. aestiva aestiva (nominate species) shows little to no yellow on the shoulder. I guess the lines differentiating these parrot subspecies have blurred a bit over the years with domestic breeders doing what they do. Smile

17 290
 02-18-2013, 05:15 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
My RP2 & friends (for the heck of it). Smile

[Image: 3brush.jpg]

17 290
 02-18-2013, 08:27 AM
User Info
nice trio you got there - one of each size Smile

i see for instance the simpson jubilee getting quite some attention on the boards - despite its scarcity - and rightly so. but as with all novelty - the interest fades fast. so also with the retro brush. at the end of the day only the so called classics will be remembered. the others lingers back in the shade of time. but at some point a few will be found and receive its deserved renaissance.

some find the retro a bit big but it was made as a no compromise traditional manmade shaving brush. i find it just the perfect generous size - and a great handle to hold. in a couple of months - as far as i have observed - the blue lost a handful hairs - the yellow only 1. as with many things mühle they like to play and take some bold risks and balance on a tightrope. they are young and traditional at the same time. they dare to pull the trigger. there must be quite many that appreciate this - one evidence is their best results ever. not bad in a europe with a broken neck. as a german company they would never come away without the deliverance of the expected high quality and precision. now is the time for the shaving industry to florish: people start to stay more at home and value traditions and high quality more than ever. old giants will stumble and fall apart. new will quickly rise and take their place.

as you can clearly see - when i point it out - my choosing the blue & yellow retro was certainly not a coincident:

this is my new companion - a hyacinth macaw (Anadorhynchus hyacinthinus) - photo taken when he was only 5 months old.

i took a hasty guess on your amazon my friend. i thought of bluefronted but settled for yellow-winged. did you have your beautiful bird since she was very young? actually i have a large poster of amazon parrots in my hall (van keulen).

7 1,625
 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
(02-18-2013, 08:27 AM)tonsorius Wrote: nice trio you got there - one of each size Smile

as you can clearly see - when i point it out - my choosing the blue & yellow retro was certainly not a coincident:

this is my new companion - a hyacinth macaw (Anadorhynchus hyacinthinus) - photo taken when he was only 5 months old.

i took a hasty guess on your amazon my friend. i thought of bluefronted but settled for yellow-winged. did you have your beautiful bird since she was very young? actually i have a large poster of amazon parrots in my hall (van keulen).

One of each size indeed! Here's another perspective...

[Image: 3brushf.jpg]

[Image: 3brusht.jpg]

...and now I understand your color choices (I would've definitely done the same thing). Smile That still juvenile Hyacinth is a beauty! ...and a very big boy. One needs some space for that. Hope it's a VERY big cage and he gets a lot of outside time! ...and hands on handling. Smile Be very careful with diet (but you don't need me to tell you that), I do take the opportunity to tell any friends who own psittacines, not to ever feed any soybeans or soy products, but I confess to being ignorant of the Hyacinths dietary requirements... still, the same rule applies no matter.

I have a friend in the Chicago, IL USA area who specializes in breeding Hyacinths. A very nice fellow... Premium Parrots

As for my girl... Yes, I had her from when she was very young. In all her years she was never clipped (except for when first taken from the store). Once she moulted and her wings grew back I permitted her free flight and never locked her up in the cage. She ate in there and hung out a bit, but was always free to come & go. She didn't even sleep in the cage, as I had a perch in every room - including the bathroom. Lots of hands-on with her, and she was a very gentle parrot with me for it. Though she could be fierce, she was like putty in my hands. And I always spoke softly, so she never became a screamer. Very unusual for an Amazon. I miss that parrot a lot...

[Image: altperch2.jpg]

[Image: wings.jpg]

But enough of my own reminiscing. Smile These are wonderful, intelligent & social creatures. I wish you the very best with yours!!! Smile

17 290
 02-18-2013, 03:56 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I'm not sure what I enjoyed more - the wonderful take on our "hobby" from Marius or the quick study on parrots from each of you. Thanks, Guys!

By the way, I'm expecting my second Muhle retro this week - in azure blue. Cool

35 2,703
 02-19-2013, 08:14 AM
User Info
@Rob

what a cool incident is that - birdlover! thanks for the dietary advice - i'm not sure i new about soya - and i never give avocado either. i'll end birdtalk by telling my hyacinth has a very large ss bedcage - sent from california + more than 1000 square feet of free space indoors all by himself + his very own large bathroom. i got a few kea's (nestor notabilis) and many other birds as well so he will not be alone Wink thanks for the link.

some may think this thread is flying way out of topic - and that's true. parrots are hardly needed for shaving Biggrin

Billy - thank you for thanking. what color is your first retro? i take it you love it since you could not have enough and wait for the blau Thumbsup

7 1,625
 02-19-2013, 09:12 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(02-19-2013, 08:14 AM)tonsorius Wrote: @Rob

what a cool incident is that - birdlover! thanks for the dietary advice - i'm not sure i new about soya - and i never give avocado either. i'll end birdtalk by telling my hyacinth has a very large ss bedcage - sent from california + more than 1000 square feet of free space indoors all by himself + his very own large bathroom. i got a few kea's (nestor notabilis) and many other birds as well so he will not be alone Wink thanks for the link.

some may think this thread is flying way out of topic - and that's true. parrots are hardly needed for shaving Biggrin

Billy - thank you for thanking. what color is your first retro? i take it you love it since you could not have enough and wait for the blau Thumbsup

My first one is pistachio/red brown. Very cool. I do love the brushes and am enjoying a return to some 3-bands but should also admit the design of the Retros just make me grin. Biggrin They even receive rave reviews from my wife, after she's stared at so many black & white brushes for so long!

35 2,703
 02-19-2013, 09:46 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
(02-19-2013, 09:12 AM)TexBilly Wrote: My first one is pistacio/red brown. Very cool. I do love the brushes and am enjoying a return to some 3-bands but should also admit the design of the Retros just make me grin. Biggrin They even receive rave reviews from my wife, after she's stared at so many black & white brushes for so long!

So, both of you guys have doubles on 'em. Nice!!! Like fraternal twins. Smile Billy, from what I've read, the Pistachio has a black base, and the Butterscotch has the brown. Whichever yours is ...??? Those colors are sweet! Smile

17 290
 02-19-2013, 10:03 AM
User Info
my friend - pistachio & butterscotch have the same brown base. i am eying something pale blue or grey as background for my rather colorful shaving equipment. it soon looks i'm back to lego Eusa_whistle

7 1,625
 02-19-2013, 05:08 PM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
(02-19-2013, 10:03 AM)tonsorius Wrote: my friend - pistachio & butterscotch have the same brown base. i am eying something pale blue or grey as background for my rather colorful shaving equipment. it soon looks i'm back to lego Eusa_whistle

Yes, Thank you Marius, you're exactly right. I've now seen some online photos. I stand corrected. What I had first read... Where I first saw the info was from a Mulhe .PDF posted online... They must have been mistaken in the early press as to the details, or it was a misprint..

Muhle Retro Series Press Release

Unlike the details as first published, I see that the Ivory & Azure have the black base, and the Pistachio & Butterscotch received the Brown. At least now you know the source of my misinformation. Smile

17 290
 02-19-2013, 11:27 PM
User Info
ah - interesting Rob. wonder if they changed their minds or if it's a misprint...

here is the original papercard accompanying the box for the retro. the high quality pale yellow tinted paper has a slightly distressed printed text in german and english + mühle's original logo: the mill with four intersecting brushes instead of vanes.

7 1,625
 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
I'd guess that original .pdf was a misprint. Btw,I have the same insert in my box. Not sure why you posted it, but no matter. Smile

17 290
 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM
User Info
Hmmm...your kit seems to be missing one very important thing...an SE razor Cool

5 938