02-12-2013, 09:49 AM
  • RedNight
  • Lisbon, Portugal
User Info
1. Description:

Here we have an asian brush, from our very well known Mr. Ian Tang. We can consider this as medium to short measured brush, if we compared it to our loved Semogues. This Frank Shaving has an extreme and surprisingly dense knot, with a 26mm base diameter. It is, surely, one of the most denses brushes on the market. This brush is very well finished. However, mine came with a tiny hole, right in the brand's logo. But it's not a big deal...

[Image: bj5HCQpl.jpg]

Here, with it's stand...

[Image: dn2rEMjl.jpg]

2. Size:

This knot has been customized to meet my requirements, so it does not have the stock measures. By default, this brush comes with a 54mm loft, instead of the 51mm shown in this one. So, here we have:

• Loft size: 26mm
  • Handle's length: 44mm
  • Loft's height: 51mm
  • Total height of the brush: 95mm
  • Weight: 73g

[Image: 9vA5Ftxl.jpg]

3. Hair type:

Here we have a Finest badger shaving brush.

[Image: xpgV6qgl.jpg]

4. Handle:

Made from faux ivory synthetic resin with a 44mm length, brilliantly executed and turned. Score 10 out of 10! Biggrin

5. Knot's density:

Extremely high. When I saw it for the very first time in loco, I immediately thought on saying that I was seeing a dense knot, comparing it with my other brushes (1 boar Semogue Owner's Club and 1 Semogue 1438) that I have. However, and after seeing it side by side with a SOC Special Edition 2012 (courtesy of my friend Miguel Madaíl), I realized that this is, in fact, a very dense knot.  

6. Softness of the tips:

They are extremely soft tips. But don't forget that I do not own any other badger brushes. This is my first one. Smile

7. Stiffness of the tips:

This one has a really stiff knot. As a face and palm-latherer, I am just going to say that the tips don't spread while lathering. This is just the type of brush that I was looking for! Cool

8. Latherability:

Very good. It smashes soap so quick and easily that it really concerns. We must be cautious when we're approaching this Frank Shaving to the desired soap. Be careful. guys! Biggrin But look at the following pics...

Here, I am going to show you how this little (or should I say huge? Cool) thing behaves when lathering Mitchell's Wool Fat soap and my most-loved Portuguese cream, Top Secret:

Pic of MWF's lather (palm-lathered):

[Image: FCFpA0ql.jpg]

Pic of Top Secret's lather (scuttle-lathered):

[Image: VyRWUJql.jpg]

9. Water retention:

Probably on average. It lathers easily and makes, consistently, a very good quality lather.

10. Sensation produced on the face:

Resumed in one single expression: deluxe! Biggrin

11. (Handle) Ergonomics:

As I like: short and with a (very) wide brim, whose shapes fit perfectly the average hands while lathering.

[Image: dgxo93Kl.jpg]

12. Price:

As I told you before, this knot has been customized, so the final price does not match the initial one, with the default loft measures. Well, how much? €36, delivered. (including $4USD for customization).

13. Conclusion:

Well, there isn't much else to be added. This Frank Shaving presents an extremely well-made handle, with a price-killer overall quality. One last comment to the packaging: it came in a luxury cardbox, that could remind us of many others renowned european brands. Deluxe!

14: Recommended?

Do I really need to write the answer? Tongue

[Image: 3UW8Tp8l.jpg]

0 24
 02-12-2013, 09:54 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Cofrade , I did read your review in foroafeitado , and now here , and I can only say , OBRIGADO!!! Thank you so much.
It seems a very nice brush indeed , my friend.

86 7,123
 02-12-2013, 10:01 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Thank you for the review. It does seem like Frank's is upping their game with regards to the hair and handles being offered. Seems like a great deal for a nice brush.

14 870
 02-12-2013, 10:14 AM
  • RedNight
  • Lisbon, Portugal
User Info
Yes Teiste, this is, in fact, a really nice brush. I am one of many lucky guys that own this Chubby series.

I must thank you. Did you read my spanish review? Did you understood what I've written, my friend? I guess I am a lucky guy, due to my (more than poor) spanish language knowledge... Biggrin

Hope you enjoy this review!Wink

0 24
 02-12-2013, 10:15 AM
User Info
Obrigado pelo sue reivew.
Enjoy the brush!

75 20,883
 02-12-2013, 12:08 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
That's a nice looking brush. Thanks for the review!

45 3,955
 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM
User Info
Nice review...looks like a solid brush! Just out of curiosity- did you happen to measure the size of the knot yourself when you received it to verify it met your specifications. The only reason I ask, it b/c I ordered what was supposed to be a custom synthetic from Franks before and it arrived with the incorrect loft (what was supposed to be a 55mm loft was a 69mm loft) and I think others have had the same problem. I can't argue the quality for the price though, the handle was nice and solid, the knot was a good one for a synthetic and it was assembled well.

5 938
 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nice review!

Although I haven't used any FS badger brushes, I have several FS synthetic models and can wholeheartedly agree with the performance:quality:value of the FS products.

102 17,662
 02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Nice looking brush. I like the subtle stripes on the handle.

10 1,858
 02-12-2013, 01:50 PM
  • RedNight
  • Lisbon, Portugal
User Info
(02-12-2013, 12:29 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Nice review...looks like a solid brush! Just out of curiosity- did you happen to measure the size of the knot yourself when you received it to verify it met your specifications. The only reason I ask, it b/c I ordered what was supposed to be a custom synthetic from Franks before and it arrived with the incorrect loft (what was supposed to be a 55mm loft was a 69mm loft) and I think others have had the same problem. I can't argue the quality for the price though, the handle was nice and solid, the knot was a good one for a synthetic and it was assembled well.

I did ask for a loft with 52mm and it came with 51mm almost 52mm. Quite precise, in fact. Absolutely no problem with that.

Did you contact Ian after you noticed the few mm higher than supposed?

0 24
 02-12-2013, 01:58 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have a 26mm finest fan that feels huge on the face. I must admit that I am a bit drawn to that handle design.

126 2,375
 02-12-2013, 02:06 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
Ive got a few franks and they've all been great. enjoy it.

1 265
 02-12-2013, 03:02 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Nice review and great pictures.

Thank you for posting it up. Smile

32 638
 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
What is the diameter of the handle?

32 362
 02-12-2013, 03:49 PM
User Info
(02-12-2013, 01:50 PM)RedNight Wrote:
(02-12-2013, 12:29 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Nice review...looks like a solid brush! Just out of curiosity- did you happen to measure the size of the knot yourself when you received it to verify it met your specifications. The only reason I ask, it b/c I ordered what was supposed to be a custom synthetic from Franks before and it arrived with the incorrect loft (what was supposed to be a 55mm loft was a 69mm loft) and I think others have had the same problem. I can't argue the quality for the price though, the handle was nice and solid, the knot was a good one for a synthetic and it was assembled well.

I did ask for a loft with 52mm and it came with 51mm almost 52mm. Quite precise, in fact. Absolutely no problem with that.

Did you contact Ian after you noticed the few mm higher than supposed?

I did not, mostly because the brush worked fine with the loft it was set at and for the price I got the brush for, it really wasn't worth complaining about. Also, after a few uses I decided I really didn't like the synthetic knot and pulled it out. Good to see your brush came as ordered, it really is a great looking brush.

5 938
 02-12-2013, 04:53 PM
  • RedNight
  • Lisbon, Portugal
User Info
(02-12-2013, 03:40 PM)vpayne Wrote: What is the diameter of the handle?

35mm (base)
40mm (top)

Wink

0 24
 02-12-2013, 06:58 PM
User Info
Thanks for a fine review.

I have a two year old Frank Richmond butterscotch Finest 24mm brush that has simply been wonderful. It has a 53 mm loft, so I can imagine the density of your 26 mm brush.

3 452
 02-12-2013, 10:13 PM
User Info
Nice Review.

4 358
 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM
  • RedNight
  • Lisbon, Portugal
User Info
Oh, I've forgotten to say that it took only 15 days to arrive at my door, since the day that it was marked as shipped. Quite fast, I think, considering the fact that it was sent from the other side of the World. Wink

0 24
 02-13-2013, 11:52 PM
User Info
Congrats on a great Chubby from FS. The last few reviews I have read really seem to highlight a great product. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for the great pictures. Enjoy your chubby!

63 2,128