02-12-2013, 03:33 PM
User Info
Hi,

Just on the WSP site looking at their badger knots. Before I contact them, thought i'd check to see if anyone have any experience with their High Mountain White badger knots? I'm curious how they compare to a traditional 3 band silver tip and a two band, or if they compare to any high end brand type hair.

Thanks in advance Moe.

24 212
 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM
User Info
Hi Moe,
I have 2 WSP HMW knots. I certainly cannot compare them to Plisson as I've never held one but I've read of others with experience that say that are very similar. I find that the HMW hair is quite resilient. I don't know of any other 3-band knot that would have as much backbone as mine does when the stats are 23/53. My custom HMW is 23/50 and it's gives an amazingly pleasant soft scrub. The tips of this hair is super soft. I get zero prickly sensation from the HMW knots.

You can also see how I compare the HMW (Monarch) to the Silvertip (Prince) model here:

WSP Range

31 7,914
 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM
User Info
The HMW is wonderful hair. Lots of backbone, very soft tips and it does perform like Plisson's HMW. It is said to be from the same source that Plisson buys their hair from.
I have tried and own several of Lee's HMW brushes in varying knot sizes and they are all phenominal. This hair type is a step above most traditional silvertip.

63 2,128
 02-12-2013, 04:31 PM
User Info
(02-12-2013, 03:56 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Hi Moe,
I have 2 WSP HMW knots. I certainly cannot compare them to Plisson as I've never held one but I've read of others with experience that say that are very similar. I find that the HMW hair is quite resilient. I don't know of any other 3-band knot that would have as much backbone as mine does when the stats are 23/53. My custom HMW is 23/50 and it's gives an amazingly pleasant soft scrub. The tips of this hair is super soft. I get zero prickly sensation from the HMW knots.

You can also see how I compare the HMW (Monarch) to the Silvertip (Prince) model here:

WSP Range

(02-12-2013, 04:11 PM)cessnabird Wrote: The HMW is wonderful hair. Lots of backbone, very soft tips and it does perform like Plisson's HMW. It is said to be from the same source that Plisson buys their hair from.
I have tried and own several of Lee's HMW brushes in varying knot sizes and they are all phenominal. This hair type is a step above most traditional silvertip.

Wow, Thanks! I like the "soft" and especially like the "backbone" comments. Can you compare it 2-band in that regard? I see WSP also has super fine 2-band (Manchurian) and I'm kind of a 2-band junky (I have 2-bands from Thater, Semouge, Vie-Long, Simpsons, M&F, Rooney, Shavemac, and TGN), but I also like my Simpsons Best and Thater Silver Tip when they come around.

24 212
 02-12-2013, 04:37 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I have the Prince in Finest. It has really soft tips and good backbone. Much less scritch than the Semogue SOC 2-band.

10 1,858
 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM
User Info
(02-12-2013, 04:31 PM)Moe Wrote: Wow, Thanks! I like the "soft" and especially like the "backbone" comments. Can you compare it 2-band in that regard? I see WSP also has super fine 2-band (Manchurian) and I'm kind of a 2-band junky (I have 2-bands from Thater, Semouge, Vie-Long, Simpsons, M&F, Rooney, Shavemac, and TGN), but I also like my Simpsons Best and Thater Silver Tip when they come around.

Moe,
The SuperFine 2-band is not Manchurian. As I understand it though, it is some of the highest quality 2-band hair that can be sourced. Manchurian is a different beast altogether.

I personally find the SuperFine knot to be softer & more flexible than the HMW knots. I'm looking forward to getting a couple 2-band knots from Lee soon in his "Stubby" density which is 20-30% more hair than his standard density.

31 7,914
 02-12-2013, 06:10 PM
User Info
(02-12-2013, 05:34 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Moe,
The SuperFine 2-band is not Manchurian. As I understand it though, it is some of the highest quality 2-band hair that can be sourced. Manchurian is a different beast altogether.

I personally find the SuperFine knot to be softer & more flexible than the HMW knots. I'm looking forward to getting a couple 2-band knots from Lee soon in his "Stubby" density which is 20-30% more hair than his standard density.

Interesting that the Superfine is softer and more flexible than the HMW. Sounds like I might like the HMW better. I am a bit confused though, as their web site does say that the superfine 2-band is Manchurian "Our SuperFine Badger 2 Band grade of hair consists of the softest and longest regular production hair from the Manchurian badger. ". Maybe I just need both..... and I thought my SBAD was cured Undecided

When you say Lee, are you talking M&F, or is there a Lee at WSP too? Just what we need... another mysterious brush maker named Lee Smile

Thanks,

Moe

24 212
 02-12-2013, 06:16 PM
User Info
(02-12-2013, 06:10 PM)Moe Wrote:
(02-12-2013, 05:34 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Moe,

Interesting that the Superfine is softer and more flexible than the HMW. Sounds like I might like the HMW better. I am a bit confused though, as their web site does say that the superfine 2-band is Manchurian "Our SuperFine Badger 2 Band grade of hair consists of the softest and longest regular production hair from the Manchurian badger. ". Maybe I just need both..... and I thought my SBAD was cured Undecided

When you say Lee, are you talking M&F, or is there a Lee at WSP too? Just what we need... another mysterious brush maker named Lee Smile

Thanks,

Moe

Lee in this case is known by his user name here in the Nook as "asharperrazor". He is the man behind WSP. Yes, he says that the SuperFine hair is from the Manchurian badger. I believe that may just be another name for the species of badger that 2-band hair comes from. Simpson's Manchurian hair which most people think of when you say "Manchurian" is still somewhat/somehow different.

31 7,914
 02-12-2013, 06:39 PM
User Info
(02-12-2013, 06:16 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Lee in this case is known by his user name here in the Nook as "asharperrazor". He is the man behind WSP. Yes, he says that the SuperFine hair is from the Manchurian badger. I believe that may just be another name for the species of badger that 2-band hair comes from. Simpson's Manchurian hair which most people think of when you say "Manchurian" is still somewhat/somehow different.

Got it. Thanks for all the help.

-Moe

24 212
 02-12-2013, 07:56 PM
User Info
As Brian stated, the two band SuperFine is also great. I describe the two band hair as very springy and soft but scrubby. The HMW has a more luxurious feel on the face. Neither the HMW or SuperFine have any scritch, at least to me.

Here is the link to my thread a few weeks ago if my Custom Rudy Vey/WSP chubby. This knot is a 28mm (measures just under 30mm) HMW. It is pure bliss face lathering with it! http://shavenook.com/thread-jeremy-s-custom-chub-java Badger

63 2,128
 02-12-2013, 08:15 PM
User Info
Moe, i actually found the 2-band softer than the HMW. However, the way the loft is set on the new HMW brushes, it has a great deal of backbone and i think you would really like it. i still think you may need to try the Stubby 2-band when it comes in also. i have two of them set a 26/53mm extra dense and they are one of the best 2-bands that i have ever used, for their price.
Good luck.

75 20,884
 02-12-2013, 08:54 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I love my Monarch in HMW, it has a surprising amount of backbone for the loft, yet remains luxuriously soft on the face

I have a Prince in 2 Band that should be arriving on Thursday. It won't be a perfect comparison, since the Prince has a 4mm shorter loft, but it will be interesting to try them out side by side

10 411
 02-13-2013, 04:01 AM
User Info
Yup, SBAD kicking back in, you guys are killing me Biggrin Need to get back to work and make some money to buy these bad boys.... am thinking knots and a custom brush.

I love the idea of backbone and super soft tips (I think Thater 2-bands or Rooney 2XL) but I also love the 2011 Semogue LE and D01 2-bands with a bit of scritch..... I may have to try more than one Smile

Will be interested to see the reviews on the Stubby when it comes out. My sweet spot seems to be 24-26mm knots set around 48 to 52mm loft.

24 212
 02-13-2013, 04:35 AM
User Info
Moe, a custom brush with HMW or the "Stubby" sounds like a good choice for you. The current Monarch HMW would probably not have the backbone you are looking for. Cessnabird and SharpSpine have had really nice custom HMW brushes made by Elite Razor (who stocks those knots). All three of those guys are members on this forum.

47 1,270
 02-13-2013, 04:47 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I just had my first shave this morning with a 23mm WSP HMW. I found the knot to be very dense and luxurious with good flow through. The loft was set at 50mm temporarily but I do think this will be very close to where it ends up being glued. I'm very impressed with it. (the handle needs to be buffed out yet)
[Image: SOTDHMW_001.jpg]
online photo storage

12 743
 02-13-2013, 06:11 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
(02-13-2013, 04:47 AM)oscar11 Wrote: (the handle needs to be buffed out yet)

That's a shame, it's looks great in that frosted finish, imho Tongue

10 411
 02-13-2013, 06:20 AM
User Info
(02-13-2013, 04:47 AM)oscar11 Wrote: I just had my first shave this morning with a 23mm WSP HMW. I found the knot to be very dense and luxurious with good flow through. The loft was set at 50mm temporarily but I do think this will be very close to where it ends up being glued. I'm very impressed with it. (the handle needs to be buffed out yet)
online photo storage

Steve, I thought you had already been using a WSP HMW knot for awhile now. I must have been thinking of something else. Anyway, my custom HMW is a 23mm knot set at a loft of 50mm. I find it to be about as close to perfect as it can get. I still really like my Monarch knot with its specs of 23/53. I'm not sure that I'd want the 23mm knot set at 48 or below though.

I look forward to seeing where it ends up for you.

31 7,914
 02-13-2013, 07:15 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I have a 28mm HMW, this is my first shave with a 23mm. Excellent knots. I've been playing with some synthetics for a while, I'm back to badgers now.Thumbup

12 743
 02-13-2013, 07:26 AM
User Info
(02-13-2013, 07:15 AM)oscar11 Wrote: I have a 28mm HMW, this is my first shave with a 23mm. Excellent knots. I've been playing with some synthetics for a while, I'm back to badgers now.Thumbup

Yes, it was the 28mm knot. Glad to know I wasn't completely making things up! Biggrin

31 7,914
 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM
User Info
(02-13-2013, 04:47 AM)oscar11 Wrote: I just had my first shave this morning with a 23mm WSP HMW. I found the knot to be very dense and luxurious with good flow through. The loft was set at 50mm temporarily but I do think this will be very close to where it ends up being glued. I'm very impressed with it. (the handle needs to be buffed out yet)
online photo storage

very nice looking brush handle steve Biggrin

0 37