02-13-2013, 06:54 AM
User Info
Wade & Butcher was re-ground, 8" contact wheel. Diamond spine was carefully reground as well, all lines are nice and crisp on the final product. Wedge is black G-10 lined faux ivory

[Image: wade-butcher-01.jpg]

[Image: wade-butcher-06.jpg]

[Image: wade-butcher-08.jpg]

De Pews, had to leave a lot of pitting so that etches and marks weren't compromised.

[Image: depews-04.jpg]

[Image: depews-01.jpg]

[Image: depews-02.jpg]

Hope everyone's week is going well!!!

Brad

0 41
 02-13-2013, 07:54 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
pitting schmitting, it's character Wink Those are both gorgeous Biggrin

I've been wanting a DePews for ages, but I always either miss them, or they're way overpriced for the condition

Nice to see you here at the nook, looking forward to seeing more of your work

10 411
 02-13-2013, 08:31 AM
User Info
Lovely work, crisp photo's showing the peening, lovely wedge detail great looking scales, I can see by your photographs I cannot fault those two razors, I have a few Wade & Butchers, but I don't own a De Pews, I've always loved the look of them, two super looking razors, and nicely photographed.

Jamie.

5 1,807
 02-13-2013, 09:01 AM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Very nice work, Brad.

10 1,120
 02-13-2013, 09:02 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Brad

Beautiful restoration on the Wade & Butcher Clap

The "black G-10 lined faux ivory" wedge is very! classy looking, goes really nicely with the gorgeous scales...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-13-2013, 09:28 AM
User Info
(02-13-2013, 08:31 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: Lovely work, crisp photo's showing the peening, lovely wedge detail great looking scales, I can see by your photographs I cannot fault those two razors, I have a few Wade & Butchers, but I don't own a De Pews, I've always loved the look of them, two super looking razors, and nicely photographed.

Jamie.

Jamie,

The De Pews is an interesting razor, no doubt. They aren't very easy to hone - it is uncomfortable in the hand and difficult to keep the blade even on the stone - and stropping is also a royal pain in the butt, because, all the muscle memory we develop for stropping the average razor just flies right out the window.

That said, the shave is really amazing. The steel is great quality, holds a nice edge, and something about a short cutting edge just makes me happy during the shave. After all, who actually cuts a 3" wide stroke on their face anyway? nobody! I don't think any of us have a 3" flat piece of our face Smile

The ~2" blade is rather versatile, and the tail is extremely comfortable to hold.

Thanks for the comments guys!

0 41
 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Very nicely done!
Love the look of both razors!

5 447
 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM
User Info
(02-13-2013, 09:28 AM)Undream Wrote:
(02-13-2013, 08:31 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: Lovely work, crisp photo's showing the peening, lovely wedge detail great looking scales, I can see by your photographs I cannot fault those two razors, I have a few Wade & Butchers, but I don't own a De Pews, I've always loved the look of them, two super looking razors, and nicely photographed.

Jamie.

Jamie,

The De Pews is an interesting razor, no doubt. They aren't very easy to hone - it is uncomfortable in the hand and difficult to keep the blade even on the stone - and stropping is also a royal pain in the butt, because, all the muscle memory we develop for stropping the average razor just flies right out the window.

That said, the shave is really amazing. The steel is great quality, holds a nice edge, and something about a short cutting edge just makes me happy during the shave. After all, who actually cuts a 3" wide stroke on their face anyway? nobody! I don't think any of us have a 3" flat piece of our face Smile

The ~2" blade is rather versatile, and the tail is extremely comfortable to hold.

Thanks for the comments guys!

You are right enough when it comes to having a 3in piece of steel against your face, I restored a vintage Taylors Sheffield 3000 special with a specially designed smaller blade and a longer tail, and to be honest it's one of the best balanced shavers I have, I'll leave you with a few photo's.

Jamie.

[Image: 005-7.jpg]

[Image: 006-2.jpg]

[Image: 007-1.jpg]

[Image: 009.jpg]

5 1,807
 02-13-2013, 01:00 PM
User Info
(02-13-2013, 12:26 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: You are right enough when it comes to having a 3in piece of steel against your face, I restored a vintage Taylors Sheffield 3000 special with a specially designed smaller blade and a longer tail, and to be honest it's one of the best balanced shavers I have, I'll leave you with a few photo's.

Jamie.

Wonderful razor. A lot of the benefits of the De Pews without a tail that ruins stropping. Thanks for posting!

0 41
 02-13-2013, 07:06 PM
User Info
Wow, look at those beauties! i definitely need to stay away from this thread! Hee hee.

75 20,883
 02-14-2013, 08:24 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-13-2013, 12:26 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: You are right enough when it comes to having a 3in piece of steel against your face, I restored a vintage Taylors Sheffield 3000 special with a specially designed smaller blade and a longer tail, and to be honest it's one of the best balanced shavers I have, I'll leave you with a few photo's.

Hi Jamie

What a beautiful razor and lovely work on the restoration Clap

What is the length of the blade?

And having the "original?" box just adds even more class.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-14-2013, 09:31 AM
User Info
(02-14-2013, 08:24 AM)mikeperry Wrote:

Hi Jamie

Take care, Mike

Hi Mike,

The cutting edge is 2.5 inches, personally I don't think you need a razor with a cutting edge any larger, until you have actually shaved with a smaller razor you don't realise how very versatile they are, I know another member over on the UK TSR forum who owns the same razor and he also rates the razor very highly.

Jamie

5 1,807
 02-14-2013, 10:10 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-14-2013, 09:31 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: The cutting edge is 2.5 inches, personally I don't think you need a razor with a cutting edge any larger, until you have actually shaved with a smaller razor you don't realise how very versatile they are, I now another member over on the UK TSR forum who owns the same razor and also rate the razor very highly.

Hi Jamie

Interesting, very! interesting...

When I recently had the opportunity to try a straight razor, one of things I noticed was:
  • Due to the length of blade, the cutting edge of the blade would touch my face in a couple of locations while leaving a gap between the two contact points ("double-contact").
  • I only experienced the "double-contact" phenomena on a couple of locations on my face.
  • I most definitely didn't shave those locations when I experienced "double-contact", as it felt highly dangerous to me.
  • I put the "double-contact" down to poor straight razor technique on my part ie Incorrect blade angle while addressing my face, incorrect face/skin position while attempting to shave that particular area, etc.
Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-14-2013, 12:44 PM
User Info
(02-14-2013, 09:31 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote:
(02-14-2013, 08:24 AM)mikeperry Wrote:

Hi Jamie

Take care, Mike

Hi Mike,

The cutting edge is 2.5 inches, personally I don't think you need a razor with a cutting edge any larger, until you have actually shaved with a smaller razor you don't realise how very versatile they are, I know another member over on the UK TSR forum who owns the same razor and he also rates the razor very highly.

Jamie

Although I have a place deep in my heart for the sheffield wedges, I think my ideal shaving razor would be 2.25" blade length, square point, 7/8-8/8 Full Hollow. Smile

I need to shorten down a big hollow next time I get my hands on one..and keep it! Smile

0 41
 02-14-2013, 09:53 PM
User Info
Now that we are on the subject of shorter blade lengths, I have another great shaver with a shorter blade, again very easy razor to shave with, a vintage Japanese Hishakaku folding Kamisori, quite a rare model by all means, I've told myself If I commission a custom razor in the future the design will be based around the spec's of the Taylors special 3000.

Jamie.

[Image: 004-10.jpg]

[Image: 2.jpg]

[Image: 1-1.jpg]

[Image: 4.jpg]

5 1,807
 02-15-2013, 05:54 AM
User Info
(02-14-2013, 09:53 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: Now that we are on the subject of shorter blade lengths, I have another great shaver with a shorter blade, again very easy razor to shave with, a vintage Japanese Hishakaku folding Kamisori, quite a rare model by all means, I've told myself If I commission a custom razor in the future the design will be based around the spec's of the Taylors special 3000.

Jamie.

Do you think you would order up a tail longer than that on the Taylor 3000? Would you keep it the same size? (I assume it is ~5/8?)

0 41
 02-15-2013, 07:55 AM
User Info
(02-15-2013, 05:54 AM)Undream Wrote:
(02-14-2013, 09:53 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: Now that we are on the subject of shorter blade lengths, I have another great shaver with a shorter blade, again very easy razor to shave with, a vintage Japanese Hishakaku folding Kamisori, quite a rare model by all means, I've told myself If I commission a custom razor in the future the design will be based around the spec's of the Taylors special 3000.

Jamie.

Do you think you would order up a tail longer than that on the Taylor 3000? Would you keep it the same size? (I assume it is ~5/8?)

I would probably go for a little longer tail with slightly more taper, mainly for a more decorative feature more than anything, I would keep the razor the same size a 6/8, and a French point full hollow that's my personal preference.

Jamie

5 1,807
 02-15-2013, 08:57 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info

Hi Jamie

Wow! what a beautiful looking razor, stunning!

The more I look at these shorter length blades, the more I'm thinking how much more practical they look to shave with...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-15-2013, 08:16 PM
User Info
Gosh Brad, that W&B is a real keeper. I love my vintage wedges and that my wedges are telling me that yours looks like "family" to them. Biggrin

6 323