02-13-2013, 10:14 AM
User Info
With a recent brush purchase from Billy in BST, I received a surprise of a couple different packs of blades. One of the two packs was the Gillette Super Thin. I will be honest here, I have never considered trying these blades. The packaging just screams third world and yes, I guess I do have my prejudices here. I've tried other third world blades (Shark, Treet etc) and have always been highly disappointed. The other pack Billy sent were Super Blues which while always getting glowing reviews were a blade I did not like.

Back to the super thins, the blades are sharp (I got a couple nicks the first time using). But they are also a bit forgiving, overall a very nice sensation in my Joris. I've yet to try these blades in a more mild razor like the 34c or R89 but I have to imagine they would perform wonderfully there as the sharpness will help make up for the mildness of the head itself.

I liked the blades enough to order a pack of 100 from Phil who remarked he can't understand why this blade does not sell better. I have to agree, they are nice blades and will remain in the rotation.

[Image: op4fsz.jpg]
[Image: jfuhrs.jpg]

129 6,685
 02-13-2013, 11:14 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I had fairly good results with these blades too. Although I used the ones that are made in Vietnam, I think yours are made in Thailand and the packaging is slightly diffrent. Haven't bought them in bulk but I would cheerfully use them again.

2 507
 02-13-2013, 06:28 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've used both the ones made in Vietnam and the pack pictured above and they are both pretty good blades. Perhaps they don't sell well because as you mentioned above I think a lot of us have a bias towards using blades not made in certain countries. It could also be that guy on the package Smile.

45 3,955
 02-13-2013, 07:30 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Doug, glad to hear they are treating you well so far. I used one in my Progress recently and was reminded just how much they are underrated.

35 2,703
 02-13-2013, 07:58 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I have been using and commenting on these excellent blades for some time now. Wispy, but sharp and smooth. I find they perform very well in a Tech, ball-end, fat handle, whatever. I am not as keen on them in my Fat Boy or Slim, for which I prefer the Gillette Blue 7 O'Clock.

I find the Thai superior to the Viet, but, as ever, YMMV.

They are cheap, too. For what it's worth, I recommend Gillette Super Thin blades highly.

0 1,628
 02-16-2013, 02:48 PM
User Info
That is sure odd timing Doug. I got a pack from Phil on a whim with my last order and tried one in my Fatip. Definitely a nice blade for me. Sharp little sucker and half the price of some others. That wrapper just looked odd to me so I gave them a whirlBiggrin

6 1,224
 02-16-2013, 03:04 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
These are one of my favorite blades. In fact I have one loaded in my Fatip razor at the moment.

100 12,450
 02-17-2013, 05:43 PM
User Info
i have never had much luck with these. Tried a pack in my two favourite razors for a while, but no luck!
Enjoy the blades, Doug.

75 20,884
 02-17-2013, 06:59 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Yesterday I used the Thailand version and today I used the Vietnam version both with a Goliath Handle and EJ DE89 Head. I was surprised that I found the Vietnam version just as good. Both gave very good shaves.

45 3,955
 02-18-2013, 08:07 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I felt the same way about these being cheap Chinese blades for the third world. Why try one of these things when you can use the "good stuff" from St. Petersburg?

Wrong.

Phil sent me a pack of these with an order. I finally got around to trying them, and they are one of the best blades I have used. And I have tried most brands, and a number of vintage blades. The Gillette Super Thins are sharp and smooth, and I can easily get 7 shaves from one. I have one loaded in my Leresche 77 right now!

43 1,690
 02-19-2013, 02:15 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I find the Thais a bit better, but it may be all in my head.

0 1,628
 02-19-2013, 05:43 PM
User Info
I've still got the first one I ever tried in my Tech. Had five great shaves with it so far and am going back for more in the morning.

1 93
 02-20-2013, 06:54 AM
User Info
I may have to try these out. With the Super Blue Plats disappearing from the market I need another replacement blade in the stock-pile.

0 252
 02-20-2013, 11:12 AM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
These look like the Super Thin Mejorada from Gillette Brazil, which some folks find and bring back from Mexico. Reportedly a fine blade.

Does anyone know if the Mejorada is still available, or is it discontinued, as a casualty of Gillette's ongoing shell game with their best blades?

1 108
 07-21-2013, 10:38 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I have settled on these blades as my go to current production blade. And this was an easy decision for me. These blades are so sharp and so smooth for me, I am amazed every time I come back to them. I'm still consistently getting 7 solid shaves per blade, and I could probably go further. What has really sold me on these blades is how comparable they are (for me, mind you) to my other favorite blades - vintage Wilkinson Swords.

43 1,690
 10-17-2013, 05:28 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I recently ordered a blade sampler thinking I would get a pack of the Gillette Super Thins from Thailand, but instead received Gillette Super Thin Platinums from Vietnam. I have not tried these Vietnamese blades yet. Please, anyone who has tried both, can you tell us if you noticed any difference?

Pictured here, Thai blades on top, Vietnamese on bottom:

[Image: te6aje2u.jpg]

Andrew

43 1,690
 10-17-2013, 06:23 PM
User Info
Andrew, I have never seen the Vietnamese ones, before.
I hope they are better than the Thai ones as I found the Thai ones to be not a very good blade at all, for me.
Good luck.

75 20,884
 10-17-2013, 06:39 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Thank you for the visual Andrew. I need to check my stock.

45 16,364
 10-23-2013, 08:25 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
After reading this thread, I decided to try the G. Super Thin Plats from Vietnam for only the second time...I wasn't fond the first time almost a year ago, and unfortunately this second chance only proved them to be an average blade for myself...They just aren't very sharp(tugging on one day growth), and not too smooth eitherHuh Just another YMMV thing I guess...I would like to try the Thai version just for a comparo

4 792
 10-26-2013, 07:52 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I just received 100 Thai-made Gillette Super Thins from Phil. I just haven't had less than an excellent shave from these blades. YMMV.

43 1,690