02-13-2013, 01:10 PM
User Info
Anyone have experience with their Cella going bad? or changing appearance. I guess I need to take a picture, but it looks as if its solid mass broke into little tiny cells. Ive had it for at least a year. Its pretty weird looking. I'm sure it performs the same.

9 333
 02-13-2013, 01:24 PM
  • bythbook
  • New York (STATE not city)
User Info
My Cella in the red pot has yellowed with time - it still performs well.

I remember a couple of years ago there was discussion on another board about Cella's purported relatively short shelf life. As with most things shaving, some folks were outraged & recommended pitching the "turned" stuff - and others shrugged & kept on using it.

I belong to the shrugging camp (as with most thngs) and I keep on using it, happily.

I wouldn't worry about it.

3 16
 02-13-2013, 01:42 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I think I had a chunk of the kilo stuff go bad last year, I didn't even have it 6 months, but there is no telling how old the kilo it came from was. The texture remained the same but it lost all almond/marzipan scent and started giving off a really strong Play-Doh like scent that turned my stomach when using it. It still lathered like a beast though, I ended up demoting it to test/palm lathering status for new brushes.

31 1,510
 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-13-2013, 01:10 PM)Chicagotrim Wrote: I guess I need to take a picture, but it looks as if its solid mass broke into little tiny cells.

That's where the name comes from! 24

I haven't had any experience with this, but I have had some soaps dry out a bit and crack into smaller pieces. Usually 3 or 4, though. They're fine, just need some extra water for lathering.

I bet yours is probably fine unless it stinks.

10 1,858
 02-13-2013, 01:59 PM
User Info
I had a tub of Cella given to me by a friend that had gone horribly, horribly wrong. It was dried, rock hard, yellowed with small white specks, and smelled like nothing that is or ever was appealing. As long as it doesn't smell rancid, and hasn't hardened, I would venture to say that it's okay to use.

2 362
 02-13-2013, 02:04 PM
User Info
Cella's been known to do this. I actually had a brick of Valorbra go bad on me w/in 6 months of purchase. This is mostly due to the fact that Cella, and I believe Valobra, are made with no preservatives.

5 938
 02-13-2013, 02:57 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I wonder if adding a few drops of your favorite aftershave or an essential oil would help an old bit of Cella from stinking it up. Being a soft soap I wouldn't think it would be too hard to fold in and perhaps as an added side benefit (depending on what is used) it might act as a preservative to keep it from getting worse. Hopefully I won't have to worry about this, but if it happens to me I think I will add a little lavender and rosemary EO.

127 2,387
 02-13-2013, 04:27 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
My small pot of Cella yellowed but its fine.

For my kilo block I have tried to follow Marco's directions for storage as best I can. Placed in a airtight freezer bag in its original plastic wrapper and in a plastic bin with a lid in a closet. Seems to be keeping fine and its been stored that way for 5 months.

15 541
 02-13-2013, 04:27 PM
  • bythbook
  • New York (STATE not city)
User Info
(02-13-2013, 01:42 PM)Arcadies Wrote: ...started giving off a really strong Play-Doh like scent...

Luckily I like Play-doh!

update, of sorts.

I hadn't used my red tub of Cella in a long while, so I just dug it out. Definite play-doh - and yellow w/ white spots, kinda hardened... still lathers up like crazy, though!

I thought that I could scrape off the crud on top - but it's all crud now. Through and through.

I have too much soap & cream (including a newer kilo of cella - properly wrapped & stored, per Marco) to bother with this one, so - bye-bye red tub of Cella. (One of my very first purchases at Pasteur's, obtained on one of my early binges four or five years ago.)

3 16
 02-13-2013, 06:56 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
I wonder if storing cella in an airtight container with oxygen absorbers would help, or if it would cause it to lose all of its scent faster.

Anyone tried this with something similar?

9 541
 02-14-2013, 11:26 AM
User Info
Cella contains no preservatives and needs to be stored in a cool place away from sunlight, and preferably in airtight conditions. An hermetic container is what I have used and a Kilo remained as new for over three years before turning yellowy brown. Performance and scent were not affected though. I did try storing a sample in a wooden bowl with loose lid and it discoloured very quickly, as did two samples of Valobra almond and menthol.

31 4,957
 02-14-2013, 05:11 PM
User Info
Mine went bad after a year... I had used the most of it though ... The rest I tossed because I started to have a skin reaction... I prefer in the meantime Acca Kappa 1869 in the tub...

31 1,554
 02-14-2013, 05:19 PM
User Info
(02-13-2013, 01:24 PM)bythbook Wrote: My Cella in the red pot has yellowed with time - it still performs well.

I remember a couple of years ago there was discussion on another board about Cella's purported relatively short shelf life. As with most things shaving, some folks were outraged & recommended pitching the "turned" stuff - and others shrugged & kept on using it.

I belong to the shrugging camp (as with most thngs) and I keep on using it, happily.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I keep my Cella in an open mug. It yellows and perhaps loses the intensity of its scent that way, but I never had it go bad. I haven't been using it much lately so what I have is months old. If it looked or smelled rancid I'd throw it out but this has never happened to me.

0 282
 02-14-2013, 08:19 PM
User Info
After reading this I decided to shave tonite using the Cella that I had purchased ~2yrs ago. (I always took a little soap out of the original tub and pressed it into my shaving bowl so the tub was never wet.) As I hadn't used it in about a year I was surprised to see it still a light creaming color and with a strong scent of almond.
Lathered well, stayed well on the face, smell strong but using a Straight Edge, I remembered why I had put it away. While to the hand and the eye it felt ok , it just doesn't have the Glide that I need for the way I shave.
Still feel that the only Italian soap that I like is "T.F.S" an Italian hard soap that comes in puck form. It advertises itself as Italy's first soap since 1945.
Nice lather, fragrance and above all nice Glide.

5 410