02-13-2013, 01:38 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
After years of debating if I should buy a Mergress I finally pulled the trigger and bought one from Leesrazors who just happened to have several in the regular handle model only. All the other models are sold out as usual. When I get it I will post pictures.

100 12,439
 02-13-2013, 01:42 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
What makes the Mergress a better razor than the Progress?

173 23,505
 02-13-2013, 01:59 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
A Metal knob on the end instead of the Plastic ones and Mer checks the calibration and all on them.

116 3,804
 02-13-2013, 03:52 PM
User Info
(02-13-2013, 01:59 PM)Dave Wrote: A Metal knob on the end instead of the Plastic ones and Mer checks the calibration and all on them.

* This, but i wouldn't say it is better than the Progress; just different, in my opinion.

75 20,883
 02-13-2013, 06:34 PM
  • Carson
  • Adelaide, Australia
User Info
[/quote]

* This, but i wouldn't say it is better than the Progress; just different, in my opinion.
[/quote]

The metal knob on the end just gives it a different feel/heft in the hand. Essentially the calibration is not that much of an improvement as most current day progresses that i've seen aren't that much out of alignment to begin with. You can still get your exact desired setting with each blade change whether or not the numbers align or not.

Personally, I like both the mergress and standard progress. The great thing about this razor performance wise is the head design and this isn't altered with any knob modification.

0 108
 02-13-2013, 09:39 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(02-13-2013, 01:38 PM)slantman Wrote: After years of debating if I should buy a Mergress I finally pulled the trigger and bought one from Leesrazors who just happened to have several in the regular handle model only. All the other models are sold out as usual. When I get it I will post pictures.

After missing out last time I kept looking on lee's site and all of a sudden yesterday I see that the XL's are in limited stock, ordered one at 5 in the morning. Looks like they didn't last long. Hope we both enjoy our razor!

27 1,294
 02-14-2013, 11:39 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Speaking of Progress, I found one on Amazon listed as a *Dovo* adjustable razor. Is it a knock-off, or does Merkur supply the razors? Anyone know?

10 1,858
 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM
User Info
(02-14-2013, 11:39 AM)Songwind Wrote: Speaking of Progress, I found one on Amazon listed as a *Dovo* adjustable razor. Is it a knock-off, or does Merkur supply the razors? Anyone know?

Merkur/Dovo is the same thing.

7 1,179
 02-14-2013, 02:30 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Progress based razors are amazingly good. A vintage Progress is my daily shaver and has been for months now. I just see no need to try another razor. Of course I do try others and although I like many of them, I go back to Progress. Tried a Weber ARC and loved it, but was happy to go back to Progress. Tried Barbasol and loved it. Went back to Progress with pleasure. Tried Gillette New Long Comb and.... I actually like that one almost as much as Progress, but that's the first razor so far that shaves me as well as Progress. Also, one thing about Progress is that the range of blades you can use and have excellent results greatly increases. Mild blades work real well in Progress set to a higher number (3 to 4 for me, YMMV). I bought a 100 Dorco ST300 blades just because I was able to get a fantastic shave with it in the Progress. In fact I find milder blade with an aggressive setting on Progress works better than a sharp blade with a milder setting. I also like the fact that I can adjust the razor down for those days when my skin feels sensitive. It's like having many razors in one.

Mergress modification? I suppose it's really nice to look at, but the stock Progress is a wonderful razor to begin with. The "ugly" original knob actually grows on you and is well enough done to be very functional. Calibration on the Progress is a non-issue. The razor handle has an index dot and the knob has numbers on it. when you tighten down the knob completely, it is intended for number '1' to be at the dot. However, it sometimes is not directly under the dot. In those cases you "move" the dot in your imagination to where the '1' is. That ends the calibration process and expense. Yes, it's free! Move the desired number under the part of the handle where '1' was when the head was tightened and you have your calibrated adjustment. In fact, different thickness of blades will make the calibration invalid, so even Mergress will be out of calibration if blade A is thicker than blade B. Most blades are the same thickness, but if you have one that's not, you'll have calibration problem. Or non-problem.

25 1,705
 02-14-2013, 08:51 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I have lately come to the conclusion that my short handle Mergress is my favorite razor. I bought it as a Progress off the BST and had it sent straight to "Mer" for the upgrade. So I have no experience with the regular Progress. I am thrilled with the upgrade. The metal knob not only looks classy, it gives the razor a nice heft and balance. But if the Mergress didn't exist, I know I would be just as happy with a Progress because of the way this razor shaves. I have come to view it as something of an equalizer - if I use a mediocre blade, if my prep is less than average, if my lather is lackluster - the Mergress still manages to give me an excellent shave. I also like the fact that I can change the setting during a shave to best suit the cutting needs of a particular area.

I have owned a Futur, which is another great razor. But the Mergress kicked the Futur out of my shave den.

43 1,690
 02-15-2013, 06:07 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I'm on an extended road trip currently and only brought 4 razors.

Mergress LH
Slant 39C
Vision 2000
Futur

I have to say...if pushed against a wall, any of these could keep a guy well shaven for life. I do favor the Megress however a good bit - it does everything "right" and I really can't fault it in any way.

29 466
 02-15-2013, 06:34 PM
User Info
If you don't like a plastic knob, and want a bit of tuning... this, my friends, is one great shaver. The only SB I still use.

JMHO

2 546
 02-15-2013, 08:24 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
My Mergress arrived this week and I'm taking it for it's maiden shave today...

91 17,828
 02-15-2013, 09:44 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
This thread is not helping me save money, I'll have you know.

10 1,858
 02-15-2013, 10:16 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I used my Mergress for the first time today.

I'm very pleased with the modification.
It screams quality and I believe it worthy of the extra investment.
It provides the razor with a touch more weight and IMO boasts a more finished look.

I have the Futur and Vision already,
so my expectation of this razor was set very high.
While it didn't disappoint, I had anticipated it to be highly manoeuvrable and agile due to it's smaller size.
For me, it failed to deliver any improvement in navigating the harder to reach areas under my nose,
over the it's larger brother (being the Futur and Vision).
While the Futur and even more so the Vision are gargantuan compared to the Mergress,
IMO the heads on all 3 behave similarly in terms of fitting under the nose.
I'm not convinced that my next assertion is real or imagined,
but I'm of the opinion that the matt satin finish on the Futur and Vision
correlates with a reduction in drag when compared to the Mergress... ?

The Mergress feels solid and heavy not unlike it's bigger brothers.
The modification for me provides more balance to the razor,
but still not as confidently as the Futur and Vision,
which both feel as though they were made for my hands.
While the Mergress won't replace my Futur or Vision it won't be treated as the poor cousin either!
The shave was exemplary.
Just not the same ergonomic handling as the larger razors.
I believe the XL Mergress might have been the better choice for me
given my preference for the Futur and Vision, but aesthetically I prefer the standard Mergress.
Interestingly, my preference is for small razors and the only exceptions are the Futur and Vision.
Had I not tried either, it would be exceptionally difficult to be critical of the Mergress in any way.

91 17,828
 02-16-2013, 06:48 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Nice evaluation Ben. Mine is in shipping mode and I should have it next week. Monday is President's Day so a slight delay but no rush.

100 12,439
 02-16-2013, 06:51 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Jerry, did you chose the Standard or XL?

91 17,828
 02-16-2013, 07:00 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(02-16-2013, 06:51 AM)ben74 Wrote: Jerry, did you chose the Standard or XL?

Standard. Now the large & XL are out of stock. I have had several regular Progress razors so I am familiar with the shave. I always wanted a Mergress so now I will finally have one. I understand its really all about the knob and not a mechanical adjustment. But if you want an upgrade like anything else it costs gelt.

100 12,439
 02-16-2013, 09:10 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-15-2013, 09:44 PM)Songwind Wrote: This thread is not helping me save money, I'll have you know.

DE wet shaving in general is a money pit Biggrin You knew that, right? Seriously, if you already have a Progress, then just enjoy it as is. It is a great razor. If you don't, then get one (again, Mergress is not necessary to realize 99.7% of Progress's greatness). The money you spend on it will be saved many times over from RAD being stopped in its tracks. I sold most of my razors at this point and only have like half a dozen including the vintage Progress. I only use three razors these days. Merkur Slant (a vintage one, but 37C is just as good), Gillette New LC and Progress. Everything else is just "meh", though I did order a Little Bastone from IB just to try a more aggressive OC shave. Seriousely, all TTO's are gone, my EJ DE89, which I think is wonderful is collecting dust, Tech is... well, too mild, but not worth selling (maybe will gift to a possible DE convert), Gillette Old is too mild. I am not really tempted to buy razors anymore since not too many work better than Progress. Progress raises the bar pretty high and under $70. So, it's a bargain, really. Again, not sure if a metal knob is worth $45, but with the Mergress cost it's still a bargain. If you never tried one, try a stock one. If you love it, you can send it in for Mer-ing to Eric. You'll still save money (that's for your SWMBO).

25 1,705
 02-16-2013, 12:44 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Yes, it's the progress in general rather than the Mergress in partcular that has me tempted.

10 1,858