02-13-2013, 04:49 PM
User Info
I've been examining my badger brushes lately and I've come to the conclusion that the Simpsons brushes that I like best have a fan shape. The ones I like least (but they still work fine) have a bulb shape. That would be both of my Specials, one in pure and one in best.

I also have a WeeScot(2) that I dearly love, and am considering selling the Specials and getting a Case. But it only makes sense to do this if the Case is more of a fan shape.

OK, owners, proprietor enablers, folks in the know... Is the Case more of a fan shape than the Special in Best?

The Case also wouldn't hurt to have since it's WeeScot3 and I'm also on the prowl for a WeeScot(1 or nano). But IMO it makes no sense to do any of this if the Case is also a bulb shape.

Does that make sense? TIA gents!

32 6,309
 02-13-2013, 05:23 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I have only just used the Case (late morning start) and have to say I think it is a very good brush, yielding lather very well, a little on the scrubbier side, but as part of the face lathering applied paint-brush strokes very nicely (Valobra stick, too, yum). I wouldn't call it a fan shape, though. My only complaint is that it looks as though it had a bad haircut; very uneven looking loft at the tips. Still, performs well. If you look at the Superior Shave site, you can compare with the Special. I'd rather have the Case, personally, because it's cute and I like the case it comes with. As you know, though, all Simpsons are a little different. You might get a more fan-shaped one. Maybe not.

I'd get one anyway. Cheap enough, and as you say, part of the Wee Scot range. If you're going to sell the Specials, well, no biggie really, right? Plus you get a new brush to play with.

The Nano? I have never seen one for sale. I, too, am on the prowl for one.

I also want a Classic 1. They also fit into the Simpson case/tube. Being greedy now. Smile

0 1,624
 02-13-2013, 07:21 PM
User Info
I find most Simpson knots to be fan/bulb hybrids or bulbs. Not too many pure fans like the Rooneys.

I've attached a photo of my Case, which is a terrific brush.

That said, there are few hard and fast rules where Simpsons are concerned. I had a Special that was not a bulb - it was shaped very similarly to the Case, which is a hybrid.

27 354
 02-13-2013, 07:54 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Interesting, yes. Hadn't thought of the humble Case as a 'hybrid', but that is why I was cautious about not calling it a fan. Hybrid, yes. Special: bulb.

0 1,624
 02-13-2013, 09:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(02-13-2013, 07:21 PM)scritchnscrub Wrote: I find most Simpson knots to be fan/bulb hybrids or bulbs. Not too many pure fans like the Rooneys.

I've attached a photo of my Case, which is a terrific brush.

That said, there are few hard and fast rules where Simpsons are concerned. I had a Special that was not a bulb - it was shaped very similarly to the Case, which is a hybrid.

That is a stunning Simpson Case !!! BabeandoBabeandoBabeando

86 7,123
 02-13-2013, 09:36 PM
User Info
Thanks gents! Yes, I should have mentioned the fan hybrid quality of the Simpsons fans. It took me a long time to realize that they were actually more fanlike than bulbs.

I dropped the hammer on a Case tonight.

32 6,309
 02-13-2013, 10:13 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(02-13-2013, 09:36 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Thanks gents! Yes, I should have mentioned the fan hybrid quality of the Simpsons fans. It took me a long time to realize that they were actually more fanlike than bulbs.

I dropped the hammer on a Case tonight.

Oh no! Did it swear VERY loudly? Smile

I'd be interested to know if you get one with a nice haircut. Mine looks like it had been to the army barber and came off second best.

0 1,624
 02-13-2013, 10:20 PM
User Info
Biggrin

After it comes in and I have at least one use on it, I'll post a pic here.

32 6,309
 02-13-2013, 11:55 PM
User Info
Yes, pics are a must! Biggrin

63 2,128
 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM
User Info
Well, I dropped the hammer on the Simpsons Case in Best badger. I asked Phil to hand pick it for me. I was looking for the hybrid fan shape and no scritch. Thanks Phil! I think you made a fine pick for me.

Here is the Case (to the right) compared to the Special Pure and Best. The hybrid fan shape is easy to see IMO. Or hybrid bulb shape, whichever you prefer.
[Image: DSC03893_zps7d3b3708.jpg]

OK, plus it also helps to round out my WeeScot family since it's also the WeeScot3... or was.

At this point I've only hand lathered it, tomorrow will be the first real use of it.

FWIW, the Special Best and the Case knots (other than color and shape) appear to be quite similar in diameter and loft. The overall height of the Special being greater because of the handle. I haven't gone back and checked the nominal knot specs.

32 6,309
 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
I love my Special in Best. Favorite travel brush, used in daily rotation, as well.

1 107
 02-20-2013, 11:45 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Great pick! I might ask Mark to attach to my open order the WeeScotSmile

11 861