02-13-2013, 05:40 PM
User Info
I was roaming Granddad's Antiques in Burlington, North Carolina today for shaving related stuff and mainly straight razors. I didn't find any straights I couldn't live without. I did find some vintage blades: Gillette Blues in their original cardboard and plastic and some Super Stainless Steel Personna Injector blades and a Cooper MonoBilt single piece DE razor.

This razor was made in Brooklyn, New York around 1932 and is the fliptop model. It is open comb and cast metal (from what I've read).

I've read other posts in other forums and do not see the exact model I have. The knurling at the bottom TTO is different in mine and the main thing is the head pieces come together in slight downward curve.

Even though the Cooper had a proprietary blade, the modern DE blades fit. You have to place the blade over the two nibs on the base plate and push down the fliptop top head piece and turn the TTO the other direction. The blade follows the curve, but I see a scarey looking ripple on one end.

Does anyone else know about the curved head model?

21 1,478
 02-13-2013, 05:42 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Very nice find. I saw one at an antique store a few months ago but thought that only the proprietary blades would fit. Looks like a neat piece of machinery.

116 3,804
 02-13-2013, 06:03 PM
User Info
Yes, I'll give it a try in the morning. My only worry is the flattened out seagull spread wing blade on looking at the blade exposed.

For 1932, it looks brand new.

Some posts say mild shave, just above a Gillette Tech. Other posts say a more aggressive shave due to the open comb. I'll find out tomorrow.

21 1,478
 02-13-2013, 06:05 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I'd love to see a blade loaded in it if you have the time

116 3,804
 02-13-2013, 06:53 PM
User Info
I have it loaded but can't get a decent, non-blurry shot. I opened and reloaded and noticed you need to slip the end of the blade opposite the head hinge end, underneath a lip and that holds it down better. But not perfect.

21 1,478
 02-13-2013, 07:04 PM
User Info
That is an interesting looking razor!

75 20,883
 02-13-2013, 07:08 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have the same razor and it has the same curve...I still have not tried it...maybe soon after you try....let us know how it works out.

6 1,913
 02-13-2013, 07:34 PM
User Info
Almost thought that was a Durham Duplex handle until I read everything..

7 414
 02-13-2013, 07:49 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Don't know, I am not a razor expert but don't we see the curved head on many vintage ladies razors?

15 541
 02-13-2013, 08:00 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I hate to say it but yours is bent I believe. I have the same exact razor and it has no curve. If it were meant for underarms like some women's DE's were, I would imagine the curve would be much more pronounced like other models I have seen.

135 1,947
 02-13-2013, 08:44 PM
User Info
its a Cooper Monobilt/Swingtop razor by George Hoffman of Boston MA 1932

0 606
 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM
User Info
(02-13-2013, 08:00 PM)Shanman Wrote: I hate to say it but yours is bent I believe. I have the same exact razor and it has no curve. If it were meant for underarms like some women's DE's were, I would imagine the curve would be much more pronounced like other models I have seen.

I was wondering if it was bent, too, but the bend is so uniform with both head pieces. I don't know how that would happen to a razor. Any ideas, how?

(02-13-2013, 08:44 PM)alex2363 Wrote: its a Cooper Monobilt/Swingtop razor by George Hoffman of Boston MA 1932

I saw that video first thing when I got home today. I PMd Iamthejody on TSD and haven't heard back from him. I wanted to know if this was a special model, but maybe it is bent.

(02-13-2013, 07:08 PM)Harvey Wrote: I have the same razor and it has the same curve...I still have not tried it...maybe soon after you try....let us know how it works out.

Thank goodness, another curved head shows. I didn't think it could be so uniformly bent by mistake or accident.

Do note, when placing the blade in, push down carefully over the base plate nibs. The blade will be a little loose over the nibs.

Then push the end of the blade that meets the open end of the head (opposite the hinged end) underneath the metal lip. This keeps it more in place, as you close the lid with one hand and turn the TTO with the other hand to tighten.

A little tricky at first.

21 1,478
 02-13-2013, 09:13 PM
User Info
hers a pic [Image: 1133A-1.jpg]

0 606
 02-13-2013, 09:56 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Lindy

Look up the vintage women's razor , The Razorette, on ebay. Your razor resembles that one. The curve in the head I would guess is for underarm shaving, all the vintage women's razors have that bend.

15 541
 02-14-2013, 06:35 AM
User Info
Hanzo, I've seen the curved underarm razors and the curve is much steeper. I'm beginning to believe my razor head is bent, so Harvey, yours must be bent as well.

The curve is not as uniform as I first thought either and the head tilts a little to one side. I don't know how the damage was done, but it is bent.

So I woke up this morning thinking how dumb to think I could shave my face with a curved blade exposure and that just the middle part of the blade would make contact. Also, even if I had a straightened head, it is hard to get a snug fit of the blade, so that it's not skewed one way or another. As it was, there was more blade exposure on one side that the other, but the exposure was uniform for each side.

But did disaster happen this morning. No, it did not. That warped razor gave me the most efficient easy first pass I've ever gotten with a DE razor. I got a few weepers on the chin, so I think that's an area that is difficult for the curved head. I was using a Feather blade, by the way.

You have to be careful flipping the top open to remove the blade, as it catches on top inside edges and you could easily cut yourself. I'm thinking the Cooper blades would have made a snugger fit and would be a hair shorter.

21 1,478
 02-14-2013, 07:25 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Cool looking razors and I like the flip top action. Use it well.

100 12,448
 02-14-2013, 09:45 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Interesting razor and I noticed the blade is straight even if the OC is a bit curved....maybe in our models that was by design to give a bit of flex at the ends....you have given me incentive to work with this a bit....thanks for the feedback.Smile

6 1,913
 02-14-2013, 05:48 PM
User Info
Yes, let's see a photo of how bent your Cooper is, Harvey.

21 1,478
 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(02-14-2013, 05:48 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: Yes, let's see a photo of how bent your Cooper is, Harvey.

Don,t have a camera or know how to do that but our razors are twins...exact 100%....I find that tightening the razor tends to slightly straigten the teeth...but the blade remains the same...probably does not effect the shave...I broke one end tooth trying to straighten it so don,t try that.

6 1,913
 02-14-2013, 08:09 PM
User Info
I did try to straighten it with pliers tonight and didn't succeed or damage it anymore, thank goodness. I did get it where it closes more tightly.

I still don't know why it shaves so well regardless of the bentness.

An update on placing blades. Place end of blade under the lip first and then drop over the nibs.

Also, be careful of trying to polish the top with a blade inside. With so much exposure, you'll cut your hand like I did tonight. Nice slice to the thumb.

21 1,478