02-14-2013, 02:57 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I just ordered a Little Bastone OC from IB. I've been rediscovering my Gillette New LC lately and it seems a lot less aggressive than it did a few months ago. I tried it for a few shaves and thought it was aggressive and got a bunch of irritation and razor burn from it, especially on the neck. Now it seems downright mild and I get very nice comfortable shaves with it. It almost feels like a tech! In fact, the heads are very similar to each other save for the teeth on the New. So, after discovering that the New is no longer aggressive for me I decided to take it up a notch and ordered Little Bastone from Italian Barber. I heard lots of good things about Cadet OC and I also gathered that RR OC heads are pretty much the same thing (perhaps sourced from the same maker as Cadet). I really liked the Bastone handle more than any of the others and for $20 I decided to try it as it's supposed to be a good fairly aggressive OC on par with Fatip. While I wait for my razor to arrive I would like to hear some input from people on how this razor is, especially from a point of view of a shaver for whom the most aggressive OC up to now is a Gillette New LC (which seems mild). As soon as my Bastone arrives I will post a review of it.

Thanks!

25 1,705
 02-14-2013, 03:31 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The Little Bastone is a Cadet razor manufactured in India and made especially for IB. The open comb head is fabulous and I will compare it to a Fatip as far as aggressiveness is concerned which is middle of the road. The head is nicely chromed and the blade fits in evenly. This particular model has a short thin handle but the grip is excellent. You are really going to like this razor and how it performs. And for $20 its very hard to beat. Congratulations.

100 12,445
 02-14-2013, 03:43 PM
User Info
You will not be disappointed with this razor. Especially at this price point. It is an excellent shaver.

0 156
 02-14-2013, 05:49 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Glad to hear that. I probably should have ordered from Shave-a-buck, but I wanted some soaps and IB is running a great deal on Palmolive sticks ($2.99) and Proraso tubs ($6.99 for red and white), some of my favorites. So I got it from IB with the soaps. Looking forward to trying it.

25 1,705
 02-14-2013, 07:11 PM
User Info
An excellent little shaver! I find it just a little more aggressive than the Fatip. Love the handles length weight and texture. Only complaint I have is the length of the threads on the head, It's a long winded SOB Biggrin

Respect it with a light touch without pressure and it rewards big time. Put any pressure on it and that splash might sting.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this one!

6 1,224
 02-14-2013, 07:46 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I've only used my safety bar razor a couple of times since getting my Cadet OC a few weeks ago. I think that says it all.

10 1,858
 02-15-2013, 06:40 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
It all sounds very encouraging. As for length of threads on the cap, that can be ground down to a shorter size using a rotary tool, no? I'll have to see when I get mine. I love modifying things (young people today call it "hacking"). I wonder if this is the beginning of my OC RAD. I hope not. I have heard that the Cadet head is very similar to Fatip and just as smooth. Anyone has both and can compare/contrast? The New LC is becoming too mild for me, almost like a Tech. I really like the shave, but I've been getting that "mild razor" feel after the shave with the New. Meaning stubble shows up sooner than usual. Still, a wonderful, close shave is pretty much a given with a New LC. I am now wanting to try all the "New" variations including New Improved. If anyone has a good inexpensive user grade New Improved and/or Short Comb (had one, but it seemed milder than the LC, so I sold it) let me know.

25 1,705
 02-15-2013, 10:03 AM
User Info
(02-15-2013, 06:40 AM)vferdman Wrote: I have heard that the Cadet head is very similar to Fatip and just as smooth. Anyone has both and can compare/contrast?

I have both and agree with what other members have said-
The Cadet OC head is slightly more aggressive than the FaTip head.

Both are great shavers and I enjoy having both of them in my collection.

5 337
 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I picked one up when they came out. They are nice little shavers and I really like the smaller size of it. They are neat little razors. They are aggressive however they give a smooth shave. If you pay attention and apply no pressure you will get great shaves from it.

45 3,955
 02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
User Info
I shave with the Fatip more than any other razor. I even purchased an identical backup in case I ever wear the thing out. The Lil Bastone is my second most used razor or at least used as often as my Gem OCMM. It feels to me that the curve of the blade is less than the curve of the blade in my Fatip. Which gives it a slightly different angle of attack. It also appears(too me) to have a wider range of usable angle which can lead to it skipping across some of my stubble if I don't pay attention. This is my fault and no fault of the razor. With the Fatip I am on autopilot and do shave rapidly with quick long strokes. With the Lil Bastone I need to be more aware of my technique. With any of the three the open comb lets the lather through to the blade which is a sensation I prefer to the gliding of CC heads. That said, I prefer the Cadet CC head to any other CC head that I own since it has the same wide latitudes in shaving angles as the OC heads. Obviously personal preference is in play !!!

6 1,224