02-15-2013, 01:22 PM
User Info
Guys

After being notified of a thread on another forum (of which I received a life ban so I am posting this here!) which in my eyes is a prime example of why I do not take part in the forums any more!

Simpsons has been around for nearly a century after years of hard work from my family and subsequent owners. I find it absolutely disgusting when someone tries to discredit my family's work and the work of Mark and his great team of staff who I have had the privilege of meeting.

I'm sorry guys for airing this on here but it needed to be said.

Back to the safety of the shadows for me again!!

Gary

0 213
 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Whoa, I am now deeply curious as to what might have been said, but I suppose that's just not necessary to know.

I, for one, trust that the wound is not too deep and that you'll feel confident in coming back to share whenever you felt like it. Your contributions are not only informative, but also highly anticipated and regarded, and like gold to Simpson aficionados.

I, too, would defend to the last my family and friends, so best wishes to you Gary. Sounds like a life ban from 'there' might be a blessing in disguise. More power to you here in the Nook!

I feel certain that members here at the Nook would not engage in such ad hominem attacks.

Shaun

0 1,627
 02-15-2013, 01:34 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Gary :

Its always a pleasure to see you around , and I hope you can post more , to be honest , since many of us very appreciate your knowledge and insights about shaving brushes.

Regarding the issue you are talking about , I dont know it exactly , but its funny how much rubbish people like to throw over the best shaving brush company in the world right now.I truly appreciate very much indeed other companies , like Semogue , shavemac or the new WSP brushes , but Simpson is king and most of us recognize that (and enjoy it !)

Edit : I just saw the thread I think you are talking about and , what can I say , at least I know theyre made in close to England.I sometimes wonder where are Rooney / Morris and Forndran brushes being made , and no answer so far which make me to beleive that are made in England 100%.However , theyre good brushes too and enjoy using them.

Please , dont be a stranger , and could you please tell me regarding your uncle using a Chubby 2 in regular basis? Did he face lather or bowl lather ? Creams or soaps (and what brand)>A Chubby 2 in best is coming my way to enjoy it again...Biggrin

86 7,124
 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM
User Info
Shaun

The guys on here are the pick of the rest which is why I felt this more home than any other!
I am just completely disillusioned with the whole witch hint that seems to track Simpsons every move. To me it has such a personal 'hit' equivalent to trolling and bullying of individuals. People seem to forget that my actual family started the business so I will and generations after me have a blood connection to every brush made and sold. It really does sicken me.

Gary

(02-15-2013, 01:34 PM)Teiste Wrote: Gary :

Its always a pleasure to see you around , and I hope you can post more , to be honest , since many of us very appreciate your knowledge and insights about shaving brushes.

Regarding the issue you are talking about , I dont know it exactly , but its funny how much rubbish people like to throw over the best shaving brush company in the world right now.I truly appreciate very much indeed other companies , like Semogue , shavemac or the new WSP brushes , but Simpson is king and most of us recognize that (and enjoy it !)

Edit : I just saw the thread I think you are talking about and , what can I say , at least I know theyre made in close to England.I sometimes wonder where are Rooney / Morris and Forndran brushes being made , and no answer so far which make me to beleive that are made in England 100%.However , theyre good brushes too and enjoy using them.

Please , dont be a stranger , and could you please tell me regarding your uncle using a Chubby 2 in regular basis? Did he face lather or bowl lather ? Creams or soaps (and what brand)>A Chubby 2 in best is coming my way to enjoy it again...Biggrin

Always bowl lathered. None of us have or do face lather.

0 213
 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(02-15-2013, 01:37 PM)Gary Young Wrote: Shaun

The guys on here are the pick of the rest which is why I felt this more home than any other!
I am just completely disillusioned with the whole witch hint that seems to track Simpsons every move. To me it has such a personal 'hit' equivalent to trolling and bullying of individuals. People seem to forget that my actual family started the business so I will and generations after me have a blood connection to every brush made and sold. It really does sicken me.

Gary

(02-15-2013, 01:34 PM)Teiste Wrote: Gary :

Always bowl lathered. None of us have or do face lather.

Thanks for the answer , Gary.
Hope you feel that you can freely speak here and , well , dont worry about other places and some comments there.For many people , Simpson is still the best brush maker.
Sorry to ask you again , but what brush do you use more often?

86 7,124
 02-15-2013, 01:50 PM
User Info
Chubby 2 in Best

0 213
 02-15-2013, 02:00 PM
User Info
Gary, I have never interacted with you personally, nor do I own a Simpson brush, but from what I have seen on here and what others speak of your family's brushes, I have no reason to believe that you are not genuine and sincere person and that you and your family stand behind your product. I read the post...the fact is people can be cruel and judgemental and that has never been more evident than in today's world where people hide behind the anonymity of a username. All you can do is keep doing what you do best and move forward. The group here is great and thus the reason why I choose to spend my time here and not elsewhere and I think, as is evident by previous posts, you're always welcome here.

5 938
 02-15-2013, 02:10 PM
User Info
I haven't the vaguest idea what happened, but having been around special interest forums for a few years, I can well imagine.
Perhaps the anonymity of the internet, a breakdown in values or the loss of respect for one another in general contributes to the venom often encountered, and more often misdirected.
I've got brushes from Simpsons and value them highly. Also Morris & Forndran, Semogue, New Forest and others. They all work for me, but if one did not, I still cannot see the need to publicly drag an old and established name through the mud.
Quite a bit is made on the shave forums about "gentlemanly behavior," .. I see some of it displayed, but I often see a lot of "window dressing."
My apologies to Mr. Young for yet another breakdown in society, and the loss of what was once decent behavior toward one another..

0 327
 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
IMHO Simpson was and is the best as its represent the Gentleman values highly forgotten these days!

Cheer up and as my father always used to say :opinion is as ass, everybody have its own: Cool

11 861
 02-15-2013, 03:25 PM
User Info
Appropriate to provide some background:

The thread in question had been closed on the other forum by the mods. The discussion got a bit out of hand - mean emotional - on whether it is "legal" or appropriate if Simpson quotes their brushes are "Made in England" while - technically - they are not. The "Isle of Man" is not a part of "England".

I would not discredit the entire forum nor its membership just because some folks got a bit crazy about this matter.

We all know the brushes are made in the British Isles, which as far as I am concerned is Britain for me and with that I suggest to leave that matter where it belongs - closed.

31 1,559
 02-15-2013, 03:42 PM
User Info
Is that the thread that's upset you Gary?

"Simpsons aren't "Made in England" anymore."

It's now just a marketing ploy by Vulfix. That doesn't detract from the fact that "they" still make fantastic brushes, or from your families' association with the brand.

0 40
 02-15-2013, 03:50 PM
User Info
That whole thread was a trainwreck. Just the usual posting the usual.

2 697
 02-15-2013, 04:53 PM
User Info
(02-15-2013, 03:50 PM)SteelTown Wrote: That whole thread was a trainwreck. Just the usual posting the usual.

Without even looking I completely know what you're saying & can probably name a couple people involved as well as their stance. I am glad to hear the thread is closed though.

When on the Internet it's very easy to behave in a way that one wouldn't normally. Sad. To thine own self be true.

31 7,914
 02-15-2013, 05:03 PM
User Info
Gary, I want you to know that I partially caused that thread to be closed while trying to defend Mark and the Simpsons name. I messaged Mark last night and posted his response in the thread in hopes it would douse the flames, only to have more critical judgement occur to the point of a mod finally closing the thread. I am frustrated at the way it all went down and it is a shame to have a thread so emotional and judgemental that lasted so long before finally being moderated properly. I love my Simpson brushes and will always do my part to spread positive comments and information regarding the name and the products. Jeremy-

63 2,128
 02-15-2013, 05:08 PM
User Info
This is the ShaveNook. Why is everyone here talking about something that's happened on another forum?

15 762
 02-15-2013, 05:12 PM
User Info
(02-15-2013, 03:50 PM)SteelTown Wrote: That whole thread was a trainwreck. Just the usual posting the usual.

This is a fairly accurate statement. The people who actually post on the forums only represents a very small fraction of people who buy shaving stuff.

As for labeling, the arguments held no water. Companies are required to label things with country of origin because of an 1891 treaty. The US has stricter standards as to what can be labeled "made in the US" or similar. Solingen, Germany has trademark rights or something similar to items branded with "made in Solingen" or "Solingen".

To the best of my knowledge, England does not have similar laws. Even then, Puerto Rico is still part of the US regardless of what some people may think.

9 2,988
 02-15-2013, 05:16 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(02-15-2013, 05:08 PM)guildx500 Wrote: This is the ShaveNook. Why is everyone here talking about something that's happened on another forum?

Very true.However I understand Mr Gary Young feelings regarding certain attacks to the brand his great uncle started.
And you are right , this is The Shave Nook and we wont allow stuff like that to happen here. I'm grateful for the membership we have , they show a lot of common sense.

86 7,124
 02-15-2013, 05:20 PM
User Info
Not really sure how a simple question can get so far out of hand. Seems the defense is stronger than the offense.

2 65
 02-15-2013, 05:39 PM
User Info
The whole thing is well beyond the acceptable limits of adult behaviour but not entirely surprising. In the short time I've been involved in wet shaving, I have found my fellow wet shavers to be some of the most anal retentive, obnoxious brand snobs frequenting the Internet. How else can you convince a fella to spend fifty bucks on a bottle of aftershave that's really not that much different (or better) than a four dollar bottle of "cheap" aftershave?

Idiots arguing about the "proper" semantics of a sticker on a freaking shave brush should surprise me, but it doesn't and is the main reason I've lost my interest in discussing a new hobby that is very dear to me, via message forums. Some folks are simply too concerned with the names on their shaving products, rather than the performance of said products.

1 93
 02-15-2013, 05:41 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(02-15-2013, 05:20 PM)AbsoluteMustard Wrote: Not really sure how a simple question can get so far out of hand. Seems the defense is stronger than the offense.

I did read the whole thread , and yes , you asked a very valid question , a question that many people who frequent shaving boards could have in their minds.However you didn't accept some answers , even when the information provided was valid to many and some of your comments were kind of out of line , specially the ones regarding Simpson "misleading" where are the brushes being made.

This is a phrase from one of your post :

Quote:Legalities aside, it is also misleading to the consumer.

Well , I will find it pretty much more misleading , if they were a 100% made in China , assembled in UK and have stamped "Made in England" on the brush.However , as you , I have brushes 100% made in China which are very good and like them a lot.
I find the Isle of Man closer to England than China , but that's me.I will understand that an Englishman could be bother about this more than I am (to say that the Isle of Man is England , I mean).

I will also kindly ask you to refrain to post more videos not related to this thread.Thank you.

86 7,124