02-15-2013, 10:12 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Anyone here have both WSP 2-band Superfine and TGN 2-Band Finest (w/extra hair) that could give a comparison?

I'm still hunting for the right knot for a replacement. Bought a WSP Prince 2-band to test out as a possibility, and while it's a great brush and I thought it was exactly what I wanted, after a couple uses I'm still thinking it's great hair, but too fan shaped for me (rarely face lather, bowl lather 99% of the time)

I've heard good things about the TGN Finest 2-band, and visually their 24mm bulb looks like what I want; nice bulb shape, good density, darker banding (call me crazy, but the visual aesthetics on this one is important to me. it's a black and white handle, I like that the TGN knot stays darker down to the base, whereas the WSP starts to lighten up again almost like a hint of 'three bandedness', if that makes any sense).
I'm hoping to hear a direct comparison from people who've used both, so I can have an idea how it would compare to the Prince that I have in hand.

23mm WSP 2-band Superfine or 24mm TGN 2-band Finest Bulb (w/ extra hair)
Will be set to right around 50mm loft
Aiming for a good amount of backbone, can't abide floppiness or crazy amounts of splaying; some scrubbiness is fine, but prickly isn't; good flow and soft tips

Thanks in advance Biggrin

10 411
 02-15-2013, 11:09 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have not had a chance to use both side-by-side, however I own a Rudy Vey custom brush with a TGN Finest bulb (24 mm) and I was lucky to be included in the WSP brush pass around which had a 26mm knot. Both were flat-out performers with serious backbone and ultra soft tips. Having the RV fills that niche in my den and I don't feel the need to chase a WSP down so there isn't enough of a memorable difference to me. However, if a smoking deal presented itself on a WSP 2-band you bet I would grab it! Sorry that I can't provide more specific feedback.

127 2,375
 02-15-2013, 11:19 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
No, that's fine Dave, I still appreciate it. Since I like everything about the WSP and just prefer the coloring and shape on the TGN for this particular handle I'll be putting it in, no immediately obvious difference is a good thing.
Of course, that's comparing a 24 TGN to a 26 WSP, instead of a 23 WSP, but still it's a good start Biggrin

10 411
 02-16-2013, 04:32 AM
User Info
Hi Daryl,

I'm not likely much help right now. I'm on the list to test the WSP Super Fine but am still several names down the list from where it is right now. I have several TGN 2-b finest so I think i'll have a good idea how it compares,,,,,,, at least for me and will post when I have that info, but like I said, it could be a while.

-Moe

24 212
 02-16-2013, 05:57 AM
User Info
At least in my case the WSP 2 Bands have softer tips compared to TGN knots.

31 1,554
 02-16-2013, 06:03 AM
User Info
The biggest reason you'll probably want to go with the TGN over the WSP is as follows.
  • Knot shape - WSP are hybrid to fan shape; you want bulb.

The WSP SuperFine will be softer than the TGN with no doubt. If you set it at 50mm loft then I'll be surprised if you see the lighter band beneath the dark band. This should address your aesthetics issue. I also find the WSP has whiter tips than the TGN thus giving better contrast & a more pleasing appearance IMHO.

WSP SuperFine hair is thinner than the TGN Finest hair. This could be a benefit for you as you bowl lather.

I personally prefer WSP knots to TGN, but then again I prefer them to the big name brands as well. However, as you are looking for a bulb knot I would say order from TGN or contact Lee from WSP and ask about possibly getting a custom knot ordered in a bulb shape. This will take longer & will cost more than TGN (WSP SuperFine is a higher grade of 2-band than TGN Finest) but could give you everything you are looking for.

Godspeed!

31 7,912
 02-16-2013, 02:10 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Lots of good stuff to chew on there Brian, thank you.

Two things:
1) My mind's not totally made up on the height yet, might go a tad higher even, depending on the density of the knot. But the WSP Prince is set even lower, at 47mm, and still shows a fair amount of lightness at the bottom
3) I actually already ordered the TGN knot. I didn't see the 24mm bulb on their site so I called just to find out when they'd be getting more...the woman on the phone took my number and offered to check on it and let me know, called back in an hour and said she found one left in inventory, so I went ahead and bought it while it was available, figuring I can just re-sell it here if I end up going with the WSP knot instead.

I dunno, maybe I can rig something up to let me test out the TGN knot...simulate the size and depth of the opening, but without making it a permanent setting Huh

10 411
 02-16-2013, 02:19 PM
User Info
Also keep in mind that the hair in the Prince is different than the hair in the Monarch. So they will have a different width to their dark bands.

31 7,912
 02-16-2013, 02:36 PM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
Remember, it will loosen up after use, so you may want to set it a little deeper than what feels right initially. fwiw.

Vic

32 362
 02-16-2013, 02:40 PM
User Info
Knot shape has a very pronounced affect on how much bottom band shows at a given loft.

The flatter the shape, the more uniform the outer ring hairs are to the middle hairs. The more bulbous the shape, the greater the discrepancy between the height of the middle hairs to the outer ring hairs.

Put differently, the more bulbous a knot is, the lower the outer hairs are set. Both making the white tips appear longer and setting the visible black band lower. The opposite is true as you get a flatter bulb shape.

The actual length of a black band in a given grade of hair remains more or less the same (you can see some level of staggering in every grade of hair) regardless of knot shape.

9 2,988
 02-16-2013, 03:05 PM
User Info
Thanks Lee for correcting my mistake regarding the black band thickness varying. The knot shape explanation you give makes perfect sense too.

31 7,912
 02-16-2013, 03:05 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Lee,
That couldn't be more obvious, now that you mention it. It's perfect common sense, but it just hadn't crossed my mind A6

10 411
 02-16-2013, 03:07 PM
User Info
(02-16-2013, 03:05 PM)Kavik79 Wrote: Lee,
That couldn't be more obvious, now that you mention it. It's perfect common sense, but it just hadn't crossed my mind A6

That's the same thing that went through my head. A "why didn't I think of that on my own" moment. Facepalm

31 7,912
 02-16-2013, 07:38 PM
User Info
Very interesting insight, i am considering a prince 2 band and this info has helped me.

0 606
 02-16-2013, 10:22 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-16-2013, 07:38 PM)alex2363 Wrote: Very interesting insight, i am considering a prince 2 band and this info has helped me.

Do it! My Prince is currently engaged in a life-or-death struggle with my new SOC 2012 SE for the title of Favorite Brush. It's that good.

(Sorry, your Joris/Fatip posts have me thinking of getting a Grande, thought I'd return the favor.)

10 1,858
 02-16-2013, 10:41 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Alex, as long as you like a fan-ish top, short-ish loft, great backbone and soft tips, you won't be disappointed by the Prince Biggrin

It's really a great performer, and an enjoyable brush, just wasn't 100% what I was after for this project

10 411
 02-16-2013, 11:32 PM
User Info
Daryl, I can't speak for the WSP knot, but I don't think you will be disappointed with your TGN 2 band purchase. The TGN 2 band I recently installed is simply fantastic!

5 938
 02-17-2013, 06:21 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
(02-16-2013, 11:32 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Daryl, I can't speak for the WSP knot, but I don't think you will be disappointed with your TGN 2 band purchase. The TGN 2 band I recently installed is simply fantastic!

Tom, it was actually your re-knotted Franks that made me take a closer look at the TGN's. The pics you posted showed the right shape of what I was looking for Biggrin

10 411
 02-17-2013, 08:28 AM
User Info
(02-17-2013, 06:21 AM)Kavik79 Wrote:
(02-16-2013, 11:32 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Daryl, I can't speak for the WSP knot, but I don't think you will be disappointed with your TGN 2 band purchase. The TGN 2 band I recently installed is simply fantastic!

Tom, it was actually your re-knotted Franks that made me take a closer look at the TGN's. The pics you posted showed the right shape of what I was looking for Biggrin

Awesome...look forward to seeing your final product.

5 938
 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM
User Info
I am screwed! Don't like the shape of the Monarch handle and don't like the color of the Prince!

3 543